Dog lovers? help with food??

Options
OK all my dog lovers out there in the MFP world, I really need your help ok??

I have a toy poodle he is nearly 2 (October) I have tried him with alls sorts of dog foods dry and meats and he just turns his nose up.

So I buy chicken/beef/turkey/and other meats..I have tried mixing them in with his food and he picks it all out and leaves the doggie food.

I am concerned about all the protein (cos MFP has it set so low lmao) I add rice/pasta/veggies and he throws he leaves all those in his dish.

I have tried leaving the doggie food all day and he won`t eat it!!

Any suggestions???

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    my lab was like that, did you try diffrent types of dog food, my lab would only eat the more spendy kinds
  • tniemeyer
    Options
    When my dog gets picky I mix a bit of canned food with the dry.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a smart dog. He knows better than to eat the junk they try to convince us is healthy pet food.Meat is great, HOWEVER, you need to make sure he is getting a balanced diet. Have you tried the RAW diet? You can get plenty of info on it online. You can either buy pre-packaged or make it yourself at home. It is way better than kibble. Look into Bravo, Nature's Variety, Primal, or Stella & Chewy's.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    First mate is awesome. But not sure u can find outside if british columbia.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I use taste of the wild - Pup likes it...when I crack an egg over it, or mix w/ cottage cheese and bits of stew-chunks (beef).
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Does he need carbs?

He likes a little cube of cheese, but I read that dogs are lactose intolerant?

Can he eat just protein?

I buy mashed carrot n swede (frozen) for me and I mix that in with his food, after I have microwaved it lol...don`t just give him frozen chunks
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My dog won't eat most dog food brands. She also won't eat most non animal product human food.

Try a higher quality food. These days you can even buy fresh raw prepared dog food. Supplement with whole meaty bones for teeth health.

You CAN make your own, but please do your research. Dogs don't need vegetables, and shouldn't be willing to eat them, haha. They're obligate carnivores, and don't have the correct kind of gut to deal with fibrous foods. Basically, dogs need meat. But you can't just give them meat - they need a calcium source, omega-3s, a non-grain carbohydrate source, etc. Calcium is the big one many recipes online miss, and I've seen puppies with malformed limbs because of poor calcium intake. Ideally you should grind up chicken or rabbit with the bones and some organs. Food grade bonemeal is an acceptable alternative.

Or you could just buy better food.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    Try natural choice brand dog food. My pom is picky but he loves it!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Make a broth,with no salt,to pour over his food.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    IMO I have found that when we spoil them with these things then they won't what they are supposed to. Is he healthy and normal? IF he is leave the dog food down. He will eat when he is hungry. BTW he is a toy? He may be getting all he needs and you don't realize it. A toy should be getting maybe an 1/8 a cup of food. They over feed our pets on the dog food bag. I was a vet tech I had a breeder that I worked with and her poms also a toy breed got a coffee scoop in the am and in the PM of a high quality dog food plus their little treat tid bits. His tiny tummy may be full up on the chicken bits. But you are right he needs more than that. IF you insist on cooking for hi boil him chicken hearts. Way more of the good stuff he needs.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    He probably needs more fat/protein. We had a toy poodle who was picky like that, in the end the best thing that worked for her was duck. Talk to your vet, but because your dog is so picky a raw food diet might be best for him.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that picky eaters are not helped by doctoring their food. First of all, rule out a medical issue. Lots of small breed dogs tend to have problems with teeth that make it difficult for them to eat. In your shoes, I'd find a good quality dog food (read the ingredients and look for lots of meat meals in the top 5). Then, put down a measured amount. Whatever is not eaten gets picked up in about 10 or 15 minutes. Dog gets nothing - no treats, no food until the next meal time, when you put down the exact same food.

There is a concern here, because of the dog's size, of Hypoglycemia. Have some Nutrical on hand, just in case.

Or you could research a raw diet and feed it, since your dog seems to like it. A properly done raw diet is excellent for dogs.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    IMO I have found that when we spoil them with these things then they won't what they are supposed to. Is he healthy and normal? IF he is leave the dog food down. He will eat when he is hungry. BTW he is a toy? He may be getting all he needs and you don't realize it. A toy should be getting maybe an 1/8 a cup of food. They over feed our pets on the dog food bag. I was a vet tech I had a breeder that I worked with and her poms also a toy breed got a coffee scoop in the am and in the PM of a high quality dog food plus their little treat tid bits. His tiny tummy may be full up on the chicken bits. But you are right he needs more than that. IF you insist on cooking for hi boil him chicken hearts. Way more of the good stuff he needs.

Leaving the dog food down will cause the oils to dry up making the food unpalatable to the dog, if you are going to leave food down you should toss it back in the bin after about an hour and mix the bin about then pull out a fresh measure of food. Fresh oils make the food more enticing to your pooch.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    try breaking a raw egg over his food
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Does he need carbs?

He likes a little cube of cheese, but I read that dogs are lactose intolerant?

Can he eat just protein?

I buy mashed carrot n swede (frozen) for me and I mix that in with his food, after I have microwaved it lol...don`t just give him frozen chunks

I don't feel confident answering the carb question, as I'm not a vet. Probably no since there's no way wolves get much carbohydrate. We do half high quality dog food half homemade dog food, and I include a small amount of sweet potatoes for carbs. Also, be aware that many seemingly innocuous foods are poisonous to dogs - onion and garlic, for instance. I consulted with our vet, and I suggest you do too.

Cheese should be a treat.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Dogs are not stupid and even though we are talking about a toy poodle here which clearly makes this a cat question you have to establish dominance. Put down the bowl of dog food for 20 min, if she refuses to eat it, remove it, cover it up and bring it back for the next meal. never leave food out, put it out for meals times and that's it. Once your dog realizes they are to eat what you give them the issue is null and void. This however doesn't give you permission to by welfare dog food, spend a little money on it and get something with a good protein level
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My dog won't eat most dog food brands. She also won't eat most non animal product human food.

Try a higher quality food. These days you can even buy fresh raw prepared dog food. Supplement with whole meaty bones for teeth health.

You CAN make your own, but please do your research. Dogs don't need vegetables, and shouldn't be willing to eat them, haha. They're obligate carnivores, and don't have the correct kind of gut to deal with fibrous foods. Basically, dogs need meat. But you can't just give them meat - they need a calcium source, omega-3s, a non-grain carbohydrate source, etc. Calcium is the big one many recipes online miss, and I've seen puppies with malformed limbs because of poor calcium intake. Ideally you should grind up chicken or rabbit with the bones and some organs. Food grade bonemeal is an acceptable alternative.

Or you could just buy better food.

I agree with your post, except dogs aren't obligate carnivores (cats are).
  • TM2794
    TM2794 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When my dog doesn't want to eat i'll crack an egg in her food and mix it up. Takes less than a second for her to charge the food and devour it.

Dogs have their bratty days, but I've never heard of a dog being so picky that they reject many different foods.
    Definitely try a few because the one you're currently feeding him/her might be making him sick. I know Blue Buffalo and Fromm are good, but they're a bit pricey.

This will give you more ideas:
    http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dog-not-eating-possible-causes-and-appetite-solutions
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I feed mine Canidae all life stages. It's expensive, especially for my 3 piggies, but your little one should keep a bag for quite awhile. They love it and are much healthier on it than they were with any other food.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    3 foods my dogs love are The Honest Kitchens Embark (freeze dried), Orijen and Innova. You can also try to add plain yogurt or salt free pumpkin from the can to your current food. Good luck!