Half Marathon Motivation HELP

Options
Hello everyone I signed up for a half marathon in February! Anyone that can give me good motivation for this I would love for you to add me! I need lots of help and tips for nutrition as well when it comes to running those longer distances. Thank you!!

Replies

• nefbaker
    Options
    You can do it. I finished my second half marathon in May and am doing my third in October. Go to runnersworld.com and find their half-marathon training guide or check out the Galloway Method. Marathoners are phenomenal people and they will encourage you the entire route. Take it slow, drink lots of water (put water out along your training route or set your route to pass friend's houses) and have fun with it. :)
  • Gna13
    Gna13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will check those out! I need all the help I can get.
  • sbbc09
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm running my first one in October. I'm learning the nutrition stuff along the way and have invested in a trainer for the non-running related stuff (core work, strength training, etc). I'm really enjoying the process and I think you will too. I'm ahead of schedule on my training and did 9 miles last week. I actually have to tone it down so I don't get injured. I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 schedule with my trainer adding in some stuff.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Great job. It's a good start to see if you'll like long distance running.
    I suggest looking online for a training plan. You have plenty of time.
    Mine is in November but just caught the flu :sick: so I will be taking a few days off from running. Trust me obstacles will get in the way.
    Just remember to trust your body as soon as you feel pain, take care of it so you will only be out a couple of days instead of weeks. You will improve in time as it gets cooler and as you continue to run, so you will be surprised how far you've come from today to race day . Good Luck!!!!!
    Wanted to add:
    Don't neglect lifting and strength workouts
    It's not necessary to carbo load the night before instead eat a good breakfast like a bagel and oatmeal.
    Invest in some gu energy gels as you get into the longer miles 10+,and for race day.
    Of course: the golden rule: stay hydrated!!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    training guides will help a lot. Besides the training schedule it helped me to have a group for all my long runs...I actually joined a half marathon training team...they gave me my schedule and pace based on 5k times and my overall person. We then were placed in groups and did our long runs together every Saturday morning. ALWAYS carry water with you (they make belts and handhelds). Also find a nutritional you like...I prefer Gu Chomps. Anything over 6ish miles you will need calories and fuel to keep going. As far as some quotes that help me go when I felt the worse:
    *Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up.
    *13.1 is half of NOTHING!
    *My sport is your sports punishment!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    after a half marathon you're allowed to have beer. in fact, have some waiting in a cooler at the finish line.
  • meg7399
    Options
    after a half marathon you're allowed to have beer. in fact, have some waiting in a cooler at the finish line.
    THIS! In fact I have never done a half that DIDN'T have a beer tent waiting!
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Can you find people to train with? I found some other people to run with. The program I'm following only has you doing the long run once a week. We did 8 together on Saturday. Not sure I would have done it alone. Also, I'm trying to see if I can get an app for the radio talk show I enjoy listening to. That may make it easier also!
  • Gna13
    Options
    I am looking for people to run with. I have also heard about the Goo for when I get into the longer runs. Does anyone use a Camelbak when running? I drink a lot of water and I am not sure what is the best way to make sure I stay hydrated on the longer runs.
  • jenniferstanton
    Options
    I am looking for people to run with. I have also heard about the Goo for when I get into the longer runs. Does anyone use a Camelbak when running? I drink a lot of water and I am not sure what is the best way to make sure I stay hydrated on the longer runs.

What's goo?

My friend planned it so we started at her house. After five miles we ended back up at her house. Had a quick drink outside of her house with our water bottles. Then we did three more. Worked out well.
  • Gna13
    Options
    I know its like this nutrition pack that gives you the calories to keep going. I have had a few people tell me about them.
  • angbunny22
    Options

I use GU as well as a hand held water bottle. Camelback would be hard to run with bouncing on your back the entire way but they do make handhelds that are great. Got mine on Amazon.
  • jenniferstanton
    Options
    I know its like this nutrition pack that gives you the calories to keep going. I have had a few people tell me about them.

Oh. I think I know what you're talking about. We decided not to use them unless we were not making progress. I guess our thought was to try not to get hooked on anything unless absolutely necessary.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would love for you to add me. I just got done running my second half in August. I've run 2 halfs and one 5k. Feel free to add me!
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've done two half marathons and 1 full!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I use a Camelbak when I do my long runs. I'll take about 2 liters of water or Powerade with me and it lasts me about 3 hours. They are pretty comfortable to run with. Just make sure you take all the extra air out of the bladder after you fill it (suck it out through the straw) or you'll listen to "slosh, shlosh, slosh" the whole run!! (Gotta find a bathroom mid run, haha!)

I also use the Clif's Shot Bloks on my longer runs as well - less mess than the Gu. I cut the end off before I run so it is easier to get to when I need them.

I have run 2 Half Marathons and have the Detroit Marathon coming in Ocober- Soooo Excited!!
  • Gna13
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first half Nov 3. I am using Hal Higdon's intermediate half marathon training program. It is pretty easy so I do not get discouraged. As everyone else has said~water and anything over 10 mile runs I do use GU. It is a real picker upper.
  • jenniferstanton
    Options
    Thank you!

Good luck:smile::smile: :smile:
  • meg7399
    Options

Oh. I think I know what you're talking about. We decided not to use them unless we were not making progress. I guess our thought was to try not to get hooked on anything unless absolutely necessary.
    Most professionals recommend these...its just added nutrients and calories to sustain the body. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to run long runs without something like that. If we DIDN'T have them on my training team we were not allowed to run for safety sake.