Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - are we allowed a day off?!!

Options
Is anyone else on or done the 30 day shred??? Currently on day 5 of Level 1. I have just completed the workout but noticed my thighs don't seem to have the good 'burn' any more - today was actually kind of painful on the tops of my thighs!!! So much that I dare not lunge too far!!!
It never mentions if we are allowed a day off over the whole 30 days or not?? Did anyone else take breaks? I'm also worried that if I take one day off it will snowball into another day....then another...then another...if that makes sense!!

Anyone else feeling the burn?!?!?

Replies

• hlinn01
    Options
    I started off doing the 30 Day Shred every single day. By day 5 I was burning out. I took a day off. I am now doing it every other day and fitting in other workouts on the other days. It's going to take longer than 30 days, but am more willing to do it now. I have seen people post many different schedules they use for doing this workout.
  • sjmiller3
    Options
    I think it's recommended that you take one day off, but I think that might even be extreme, and considering you burn less than 200 calories doing it, it's not really worth it (the exhaustion, fatigue, sore muscles, etc) to do it every day, you're just going to burn yourself out. So I used it more for toning than for weight loss. I'd usually do it in combination with a cardio exercise. Take days off from 30 day shred but not from working out, still do your cardio; always do your cardio.
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was told to cut 30DS down to 3-4 days a week and it's working so much better. I currently do 30DS on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday and on Saturday I do Yoga Meltdown. Weight and inches started coming off when I switched.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Apparently Jillian Michaels recommends doing it 5-6 days a week and it's the marketing people who wanted to position it as something to do without a break. I did it with at least one day off a week and still got great results!
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yes! with any workout program you need a rest day for your muscles to just recover and rebuild from all the strain the workout puts on it. 5 days a week is great but i go for 6 days and rest one day
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I took one day off minimum when I did this, and now also for Ripped in 30, but sometimes two. With 30DS, I felt better when I did the workout 3 days, took a day off, then did it 3 more, etc.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do 4 days on, 1 day off. Bit early to tell if it's working yet.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of days off. I don't think you need to seek anyone's permission - just do what's best for your body.
  • maddiejonich
    Options
    I did the full 30 days without a day off and became much more toned!
  • Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just started about 45 minutes ago. I'm 400lbs, and made it about.... 10 minutes in before I thought I was about to die. It will probably be a few weeks before I can do the entire workout in one stretch, as embarrassing as that is to admit. I just did what I could, pushed myself a few more minutes, then did about 15 minutes of wii boxing to keep my heart rate up a little longer >>
  • Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    scratch that, i went back and finished it.
  • susie6785
    susie6785 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to listen to your body and do what's best for you. As paulaviki said, Jillian suggests 5-6 days and 1 day of rest. I think if you need to only do 4 days, then that's still a lot better than nothing! Of course the more consistent you are, the quicker the results, but don't push yourself over the limit, if you need a break, take it! And Jace1100, I just started today and wanted to die too! You're not alone! I did make it through the 3 circuits, but definitely took a few breaks that were more than just 5 seconds that she recommends. As time progresses the endurance will come. Kudos for doing it at all, that's what I say! MAN did she kick my butt! I'm gonna feel it in the morning!
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and do the full 30 days w/o stopping I'm currently on day 14 and yes the first 7-10 days I was extremely sore especially in my legs my poor poor legs lol but now I'm ok ! But like everyone said listen to your body and do what's best for you
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    I think she'd be like "Oh you want a day off? That's fine. NOT. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE? get up. I will kick you."
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i am taking one day off week - so I just do 6 days, and then take 1 day off from a tough workout (but i still do gentle cardio lie walk my dog!).

today is my 'rest day'. and tomorrow i'll be back at it with level 2 day 1! :)
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else on or done the 30 day shred??? Currently on day 5 of Level 1. I have just completed the workout but noticed my thighs don't seem to have the good 'burn' any more - today was actually kind of painful on the tops of my thighs!!! So much that I dare not lunge too far!!!
    It never mentions if we are allowed a day off over the whole 30 days or not?? Did anyone else take breaks? I'm also worried that if I take one day off it will snowball into another day....then another...then another...if that makes sense!!

Anyone else feeling the burn?!?!?

I have had this same issue. I don't know why. I took a day off, then the next day did Zumba and it was a little better. So I have been doing every other day, Zumba 3 times a week, kickboxing once a week, and walking. Seems to be working.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday except Sunday. One day off a week sounds reasonable to me.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think she'd be like "Oh you want a day off? That's fine. NOT. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE? get up. I will kick you."

LOL! Bring it!

I did it without days off, but I know that many people took a day off and got good results. I'm currently doing Ripped in 30 which is somewhat of a follow-up, and she says to do it 5 or 6 days a week and take a day off.

The best thing is to listen to your body, but she does say over and over that results don't come cheap. And she just might kick you...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I think it's recommended that you take one day off, but I think that might even be extreme, and considering you burn less than 200 calories doing it, it's not really worth it (the exhaustion, fatigue, sore muscles, etc) to do it every day, you're just going to burn yourself out. So I used it more for toning than for weight loss. I'd usually do it in combination with a cardio exercise. Take days off from 30 day shred but not from working out, still do your cardio; always do your cardio.

I burn 225-300 each time a do a 30ds work out --- I'm 5'3, 148 pounds, and with 24% BF and that's according to a pretty accurate HRM - so the basis for your advice here is (likely) inaccurate unless the OP is super fit/not doing the program properly (ie pushing hard and keeping up). 200-300 calories IS definitely worth it because you're working less than 30 minutes. That is, if it is only soreness and not PAIN.

I did 30ds 30 days straight - but I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. I did ripped in 30 5 days a week because more HURT and not hurt so good. Like everyone else said, OP, listen to your body. If you genuinely hurt and are in pain, not soreness - don't push it. Your results won't be lost taking a day or two off, it might just take you extra time to get to the goal you want to achieve. But I think that's totally what the fitness journey is about -- making choices you can live with.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started off doing the 30 Day Shred every single day. By day 5 I was burning out. I took a day off. I am now doing it every other day and fitting in other workouts on the other days. It's going to take longer than 30 days, but am more willing to do it now. I have seen people post many different schedules they use for doing this workout.

That's what I started doing too, for Ripped in 30. Doing it every day is just too hard on my body.