Kitchen Hints and Tips - Let's list them!

Options

Replies

• DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The fruit fly one works! I work with the little buggers and we do this in the lab. We do water and pine sol with a small banana slice because it smells fresh. Or even water, dawn dish liquid and banana too.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Warm water & baking soda will clean silver jewelry & remove stains from your teeth. (doesn't taste good)
    Vinegar cleans glass & mirrors, preferably with a newspaper.
    Baking soda is a great cleaner in the kitchen.
    Love :heart: parchment paper when baking anything....no mess.
    Hairspray takes out ink stains in clothes.
    2 tbs of vinegar in a small bottle of joy makes great shampoo for dogs.
    (the vinegar lowers the PH)
  • Caggle123
    Caggle123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Want savory scrambled eggs or omelettes? Add a tablespoon of condensed Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken soup for every 2 eggs, scramble together, and cook as usual for scambled eggs. This has gotten me away from using gobs of cheese on my scrambled eggs....

Thanks for this one, looking forward to trying it... :smile:
  • MinglewoodBlues
    Options
    bump
  • krystleeanne
    krystleeanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Silicone pot holders can be used as potholders, trivets, and as jar openers (gives you a better grip on the lid).
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    - Instead of adding oil to your water when you are boiling pasta, spray the top surface of the water in the pot with some cooking spray - save those calories

myth skip it all... having oil floating on the op of the water does absolutely nothing to your pasta... the pasta is under the oil... the oil and water is drained off... pasta never meets said oil...
    *shrugs*

LOL! I was going to say the same thing. The key to good pasta is to salt the water and then get the water really boiling before you put the pasta in. Gummy sticky pasta happens when the water is too cool. You want to salt the water first so the salt dissolves because this way it will absorb into the pasta. Salting cooked past is too late - it won't absorb so the flavors won't get enhanced. Salt the water first and you'll have very tasty pasta and won't have to add any salt to the dish later, so you'll end up using less salt over all.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Alcohol based hand sanitizers will take ink stains out of cloth. Saturate the stain and press between two paper towels. The ink will dilute and bleed out into the towels. Don't skimp on the sanitizer.
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    I agree with keeping these out on the counters, but in my house it inevitably leads to the presence of fruit flies. To deal with the cursed fruit flies, pour a little apple cider vinegar in a low, flat dish and add a drop or two of dish detergent and set it out near the fruit. They will fly right in and drown themselves. Freshen it every day or two.

My fruit fly torture chamber as my kids lovingly refer to it consists of a clear ramekin with the apple cider vinegar also. I then cover it with plastic wrap pulling it tight. Poke holes in the plastic wrap but not too big...They go in but can't get out. The old addage, "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" is way off!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Clothespins and binder clips work great for chip/cracker/cereal bag clips - don't have to buy anything special and have plenty on hand!
  • fishingwoman
    fishingwoman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    These are great!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Use shaving cream to get spots off carpets. Put a dab on the carpet, let sit, use a damp cloth and rub around the spot. Gone.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Store a cut avacado (rarely do I eat the entire thing at one sitting), in a baggie with a cut (halved) onion. The onion helps the avadado last much longer. (Store in the fridge)
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    For all the people who asked if there was a way I could consolidate all these suggestions into one document, I have created a .pdf document on my blog with all these suggestions.

You can either view them or save the document to your computer.

They are located at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx/view/topic-kitchen-hints-and-tips-let-s-list-them-417665

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Wow, great document, thank you!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Keep a pair of swimming goggles in the kitchen and wear them when chopping onions to prevent burning eyes and tearing.

I thought I was the only one who did this. :laugh:
  • 1234getgoing
    Options
    I have had people tell me I am crazy on this one, but I thought the idea was crazy until I tried it and It works for me!
    To keep onions from burning your eyes when peeling or slicing....Get a wooden stick match...light it...blow out the flame....hold the end that is NOT burnt in your mouth. Peel or slice away. No burning the eyes !
  • muggsmom
    Options
    Wrap your celery in aluminum foil. It will last for weeks!