How do you lose on 1500 or more?

Options
Is it because of the quantity of exercise? Because of strength training? I see many people who eat from 1500-1800 and still steadily lose. Why and how?

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Because it's all about fueling your body. :) Weight loss is scientific. We're not all radically different. Eat between your BMR and TDEE, and you'll have a deficit to lose weight and fat. For many people, that's 1500 and up.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Is it because of the quantity of exercise? Because of strength training? I see many people who eat from 1500-1800 and still steadily lose. Why and how?

Simply because they're on a caloric deficit. And also their metabolism never slows down, because eating too low, like 1200 or less most likely slows down the metabolism and making it harder to lose more because the body is on starvation mode all the time. :)
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I found out my average TDEE over the last month or two, with my Fitbit, and then took 20-25% off to get my deficit. So....my TDEE average was 2350 cals burned a day <including exercise>, taking the % off gave me just under 1800 daily to eat <so I rounded it up>.

So that gives me an average of -550 a day, OR 3850 calories a week deficit, which comes to 1- 1 1/2 lbs a week loss.

So far its been working great!

go to this group for more info...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map or this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Dinahmo
    Dinahmo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And exercise? There are some very fit people who eat a lot!
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Simple math, you need to burn more than you eat. I'm in maintenance mode now (have run 12.5 mils today) - before the day is done I will have eaten around 3800 calories.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit at 1500, 2000, or 2500 calories is still a calorie deficit.

Yes you can create a deficit by eating less, but you can also do the same by eating the same amount and moving more. I know which one I prefer!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The more fit, the more fuel is needed :) Everyone else has given exactly the right answers.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think for me exercise plays a big part of it, sure.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I burn about 260 per day with exercise in addition to my sedentary TDEE. On average, I burn about 2000 calories per day and eat 1500-1600, which still gives me a deficit of 400-500. I lose .5 to 1 pound a week most weeks.

You don't have to starve to lose weight. It's all about burning more than you consume.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit at 1500, 2000, or 2500 calories is still a calorie deficit.

Yes you can create a deficit by eating less, but you can also do the same by eating the same amount and moving more. I know which one I prefer!

This is how I see it too!

I eat at least 1700 a day (goal is 1740), more if I exercise. Some days I can't eat all my exercise calories back but I still net at least 1500. I don't think my net has dropped below 1500 once. I lost my 10 pounds in the first 4 weeks. Looking forward to my next weigh-in (I only weigh once or twice monthly).
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add - that QUALITY of your calories matters a bit too.

Your body is more primed to burn fat if you consume more protein and fewer carbohydrates (as a general statement).

You can set your macros however you like, I find that 40% carbs and 30% each of fat and protein works pretty well. The leaner you are, the more you burn - so yes, lift HEAVY weights (it will burn lots of calories too - so you can eat more!)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I went into maintenance, and using trial and error, figured out I could maintain at 2550 calories a day, so I subtracted 450 from that (which should put me at just less than a pound lost each week). I try to eat 2100 calories a day, but I didn't always reach my calorie goal last week, so I actually lost 1 whole pound. It's simple math. And yes, I exercise 5 days a week, using a combination of resistance training and interval cardio. If it helps, I'm nearly 5'8" and I want to lose 26 more pounds.
  • Dinahmo
    Options
    This is very helpful! Thank you!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    When I first started I lost 2 lbs a week on a 1800 calorie a day - and did very little exercise......if I did exercise I ate back about 50% of my extra calories - so would eat closer to 2000 calories....

Over time I dropped to 1500 calories a day - increased my exercise to 5 to 6 times a week - and still ate back 50 to 75% of my exercise calories..... Yes I did start lifting heavier as well which helps build muscle - which helps increase metabolism....
    I was still losing about 2lbs a week...

Why: I am still in a deficit......my BMR is around 1900 calories a day - and TDEE on non-exercise days is 2300
  • DaintyAngelDreams
    Options
    I eat that amount roughly and lose weight (around 1lb a week) and I'm pretty sure its just cause I have a really quick metabalism
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat 2,000 to lose.

I am active. I walk to campus, work a lot, lift weights, and have fun.
    An active lifestyle makes it so much easier
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I net 2200 a day and lose consistently about 1/2 pound a week. I eat back my exercise calories, so some days I eat 2500 to 2800 calories.

As others have said, I am on a caloric deficit so I lose. My body knows it is getting a study supply of fuel, so it burns it freely.

Macros at 40% protein, 30 % carbohydrates, 30% fat.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I eat 1660 a day, I don't exercise (just had an op) and I lose on average 2lb a week. My TDEE is supposedly 2008 cals a day (5ft4.5, 201lb, sedentary)
  • joneskaw
    Options
    bump
  • Dinahmo
    Options
    I like knowing that people eat more and lose so I don't feel so guilty about eating at 1400 ~ 1600.