Dropped my phone in the toilet.

Options
I have a Sanyo Zio. I dropped it in the toilet and then immediately shook the water out and put it in a bowl of rice. It sat in the rice for two days. The screen looks perfect now, however the touch screen does not work. I really don't have the money to buy a new phone atm.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bring it to the place you got it and get a replacement. You did get insurence on it right? If so, free replacement.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Bring it to the place you got it and get a replacement. You did get insurence on it right? If so, free replacement.

I have insurance on my phone, but it costs $100 to get a replacement.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Why a bowl of rice?
  • sionnain
    Options
    Why a bowl of rice?

rice sucks out moisture.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by putting it in oats
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Insurance Claim!! either that or u just learned a lesson here........
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Why a bowl of rice?

rice sucks out moisture.

Yup. You take off the battery door and remove the battery, put the phone into a gallon bag filled with uncooked rice and seal it and leave it alone for at least 48 hours. It will absorb all the moisture. Sometimes this will save a phone, mp3 player, etc. that has gotten wet, but not always. Never hurts to try though!
  • 126siany
    Options
    I have a Sanyo Zio. I dropped it in the toilet and then immediately shook the water out and put it in a bowl of rice. It sat in the rice for two days. The screen looks perfect now, however the touch screen does not work. I really don't have the money to buy a new phone atm.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Sounds like you will have to try the insurance. Sorry. :sad:
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    insurance doesn't cover water damage... so you might be out of luck....
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

Yeah. I'd have to pay a hundred dollars to get a replacement.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Mine does. Sure sucks for those that it doesn't.
  • 126siany
    Options

It depends. I stupidly had my phone on top of my espresso machine and it fell into the milk I was frothing. It wasn't in there long enough to trigger the water damage sticker under the battery door, but did fry the phone. I was honest about it and my insurance covered it. I had asurion through Verizon.
  • ChrisStoney
    Options

The greater question is why do people take thier phone in the bathroom??, haha! I take mine on my boat , so far so good! I watched two people jupmp in the water with thier phone in thier pocket though....
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

The greater question is why do people take thier phone in the bathroom??, haha! I take mine on my boat , so far so good! I watched two people jupmp in the water with thier phone in thier pocket though....

Haha! I'm definitely never bringing my phone in the bathroom once I get a new one.
  • ChrisStoney
    Options

Haha! I'm definitely never bringing my phone in the bathroom once I get a new one.

They do need to make waterproof smart phones though.... it is ridiculous! Good luck!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

They do need to make waterproof smart phones though.... it is ridiculous! Good luck!

Right? That would be awesome. Thank you. :)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, 3 months after I got my iPhone i dropped it into a mop bucket full of hot chemically water at work. it was TOAST. i actually ended up selling it to some dude for parts, $60 woot. new iPhone stays away from water.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Take the battery out and then put both in the rice.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If the touch screen isn't working, and everything else is, take it to a repair shop. The screen itself could be dead.