whey protein powder

Options
Hi everyone!! I was looking into whey protein powders/shakes. Everything I find only completely contradicts everything. I was looking to take whey protein to help with weight loss and toning up. Does anyone recommend a particular brand and have had success? What should I look at in regards to sugar and sodium percentage? Is whey protein also a meal supplement/substitution.

Sorry for all the question!! I am just looking to get information :)

V

Replies

• TKishjr
    Options
    I've been using the Body Fortress after exercising. It has low sugar numbers, 26g protein per scoop, 140 calories. Taste is acceptable, in fact I'm having a chocolate one, now. I use water to mix, stick it and some ice in the magic bullet, and voila! I also add a teaspoon of decaf instant coffee in now and again, for a mocha like taste, no extra calories.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much extra research beyond the common "protein after workout = good for muscle development". Personally, I like Trader Joe's Chocolate Whey in skim milk. By itself, 2 scoops is 17g and 130 cals and is the tastiest protein I've found.
  • Reu100
    Options
    Thanks for the input; I had the same questions.
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate. Its dang tasty stuff. Here is the way I use protein shakes. After each workout, within 30 -45 minutes I have the shake. This shake, I put a peach activia yogurt and some fresh berries in. Then later in the day, if I get the hunger pangs.. it is a great meal replacement. I have been attempting to keep my protein, carb, fat ratio at 40/40/20 respectively. Myfitnesspal on the mobile app has a way, go to the daily, then hit the pie chart... it gives you the ratio break down.
    Good luck..
  • xoveronica
    xoveronica Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thank you! Is it safe to take after workouts or just by itself without workouts?
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    We use Body Fortress too. Very economical at WalMart, about $15.00 for a BIG container. I use about 1/2 a scoop per smoothie because I get enough protein from other sources.

I put ice and water in a blender. I add spinach, and at least 1/2 a banana, and generally 1/2c of another fruit. I add 1T Chia seed and 2T milled flax. It's delicious.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Try to search for Combat Whey Protein Powder by MusclePharm. 130cals per serving. A combination of fast and slow digesting proteins, feeds your muscle for longer. I personally like chocolate peanut butter, cookies and cream and banana respectively.
    Trust me, this one is goooood. Tastes awesome too. :)
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor told to drink whey protein,. My trainer told me to use Isopure. Very good!!! not a powder but a ready drink in melon apple. It has 40g of whey protien zero carbs. they ready shakes are good to without causing bloating!!!
  • Incendia99
    Incendia99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress after workouts too, and it's actually pretty tasty! I add ice and powdered peanut butter, peppermint extract, or instant coffee for a little variety.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use Champion Nutrition Whey Protein Stack - chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. One scoop has 23 g of protein - 130 calories - low carb and low sugar. I used to buy on Amazon, but now order on www.netrition.com.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use Precision Engineered Whey Protein Isolate because it's lactose free and I have a problem with lactose.1 scoop = 30g protein, 140 calorie. I like the chocolate flavor with a cup of water for a quick addition after a workout or before. Usual do a combo with fruits in the blender for an added bonus.
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Body Fortress after exercising. It has low sugar numbers, 26g protein per scoop, 140 calories. Taste is acceptable, in fact I'm having a chocolate one, now. I use water to mix, stick it and some ice in the magic bullet, and voila! I also add a teaspoon of decaf instant coffee in now and again, for a mocha like taste, no extra calories.

I just bought this Body Fortress Protein, it was on sale at Grocery Outlet and I figured WHAT THE HECK! Do you have any other ways to use it? I've heard of protein pancakes as well as your regular shake/drink.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I use the brand Body Fortress from walmart as well. You get a ton, it's cheap, it tastes and dissolves good, and has a nice amount of protein with hardly any carbs/sugar.
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure Creamy Vanilla. 1 scoop has 25g of protein and 0 carbs. I love it!
  • TKishjr
    Options

I just bought this Body Fortress Protein, it was on sale at Grocery Outlet and I figured WHAT THE HECK! Do you have any other ways to use it? I've heard of protein pancakes as well as your regular shake/drink.
    I've heard of people mixing it into yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, and the pancakes, as you mentioned. You could probably put it over ice cream, add it into a smoothie, or just about anything you could think of that the flavor you have would compliment. The vanilla flavor in orange juice might give you an Orange Julius type flavor (or dream-cicile). Only limited by your imagination! :)
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Skip the whey and use a protein blend like Trutein, XF UP 2.0, or iForce Protean. Better taste.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey french vanilla...1 scoop is 100 calories and 18 g of protein. It's very low in fat, sugar and carbs too. I like to make protein smoothies after workouts with frozen berries, almond milk and the powder. Very good!