Jaime Eason's Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

Options
126siany
126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
Super-easy recipe with lots of protein. Very tasty and could even be used as meatballs.

Found it here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm

*Note* I ended up with a much higher calorie count in the MFP Recipe Builder, probably because I used Lean Ground Turkey and logged all the spices. I suspect Jamie used Extra Lean and didn't log the spices. Your calories will vary based on your specific ingredients. I ended up at 147 per muffin*

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
3 egg whites
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dry yellow mustard
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 celery stalks (finely chopped)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.

Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.

Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Per Muffin:

Calories: 80
Fats: 2 grams
Carbs: 4 grams
Protein: 11 grams

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicous, wish we could get turkey mince here, might try it with chicken.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Sounds delicous, wish we could get turkey mince here, might try it with chicken.

It should work with chicken. Perhaps a butcher would be willing to grind a cut of turkey for you if you wanted to try it that way?
  • cassmonster
    cassmonster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yummmm....need to try these!!!!
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nikkiw283
    Options
    saving for later
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

It should work with chicken. Perhaps a butcher would be willing to grind a cut of turkey for you if you wanted to try it that way?

Possibly, don't really see to much turkey around here at all except for at christmas, might just be a case of asking at the butchers though.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've made these before -- they're pretty good. My only problem is that mine were a bit dry so I swapped out the 3 egg whites for 2 whole eggs (which helped a bit). If you can get your hands on some smoked chipotle pepper spice, I definitely recommend that substitution.

Also, they pack well (good for lunch on the go) and are very tasty served with sliced tomato!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have heard these are really good. Another recipe she has is for protein bars, I really like the pumpkin spice. Very tasty and low cal.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds delicious
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe!
  • granni87
    granni87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    save for later..
  • 126siany
    Options
    I've made these before -- they're pretty good. My only problem is that mine were a bit dry so I swapped out the 3 egg whites for 2 whole eggs (which helped a bit). If you can get your hands on some smoked chipotle pepper spice, I definitely recommend that substitution.

Also, they pack well (good for lunch on the go) and are very tasty served with sliced tomato!

They were a little dry when I reheated them throughout the week, so I reheated with about a tablespoon of chicken broth.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Bumpbump!
  • Sakye
    Sakye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe, I didn't know what to eat for dinner!
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love these. I actually cook extra and freeze them. I used the extra lean ground chicken. All I can find here is the perdue fit and easy. Like 1.5 grams of fat per serving or something like that.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    lovely recipe can't wait to try
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    They were tasty but my stomach did not like them. Can't bring myself to pull the rest of them out of the freezer.
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I agree...these are yummy! And do try the protein bar recipes, they are all good and I too love the pumpkin ones!
  • vrutwind
    Options
    I had a modified version of these today using yellow squash instead of celery and they were great!