Women and Make Up Question

Options
moochachip
moochachip Posts: 237 Member
To my fellow women,

I have grown up in a home full of boys and a mother who not once do I remember wear make up. I am going to a career fair soon, and would like to wear eye liner and some simple make up items to enhance features (nothing to over due it.)

Any ideas on where to go to learn? What products to look into?

Replies

• Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    YouTube. I'd stick with only eyeliner and mascara, given that it's a career fair. Use a pencil so that you can smudge the eyeliner a little with a Q-tip. I'd recommend staying away from eyeshadow (or else just use it very sparingly). It always makes me wince when I see girls wearing so much makeup at career fairs. They look more like they're about to head out to a nightclub.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Youtube for sure! They have wonderful vidoes out there explaining how to do different makeup looks and what products are good out there. I've learned a lot of my makeup tricks from there (absolutely love Kandee Johnson, oh my gosh! :p) Eyeliner can be a little scary at first, too, it can be really unforgiving. It might be easier starting out using an eyeshadow and angled brush to line your eyes. It's a softer look and if you mess up, easily fixed without redoing the entire makeup. :)

And personally, since you're just starting out, I would just find some stuff that looks interesting that is inexpensive. You're just learning, no point in getting Dior or MAC immediately until you know what you like. ;)
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Youtube is a great place to learn. Also, the book "Making Faces" by Kevyn Aucoin taught me a lot about makeup. I highly recommend it.

I say if you are new at wearing makeup, keep it simple. Concealer, powder, eyeliner (just on the top), mascara and some lipgloss or tinted lipbalm would be a good start. Look for sheer, natural colors that will compliment your coloring. If you go to a place like "Sephora", they should be able to help you pick out colors and teach you application techniques.
  • lizmaebar
    Options
    When I want to be fancy I wear eyeliner and that's it. I think you're beautiful and don't need any make-up. It always makes me nervous to put make-up on. I worry about it getting messed up the whole time I have it on. Natural is easier. I guess I'm lazy lol
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I wear eye-liner every day. I literally don't leave the house without it, but that's because my bottom eyelashes are blonde, and my top ones are a very light brown, so I look pale and half dead without some form of color. I recommend either brown or black depending on your complexion. I use brown myself, but youtube is a great way to learn how to apply it. I use Almay. It goes on easily, and it's fairly inexpensive. You can get it at Walmart or Target. It's a pencil, but you just roll it up. You dont have to deal with all the sharpening of a typical pencil.
  • musicalboats
    Options
    I have been in a similar boat - one of my closest friends helped me out. One thing I have found to be amazing is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. Its just tinted enough to smooth things out, and its a low level sunscreen, and it doesn't look like you are caked on with foundation. There is no way to mess it up. She also gave me a MAC bronzer to lightly hit cheekbones etc. And tinted lip balm, neutral color, Burt's Bee's has a nice selection. I am no good with the eye things, so I just leave 'em. I would rather be natural than look like a twelve year old who broke into mommy's makeup and didn't know what she was doing. Best of luck.
  • irishchick874
    Options
    you tube is great.

I am a make-up artist and worked for M.A.C. for 4 years and not do make up for weddings and parties. if u are just starting out i would say try at tinted moisturizer it will just even out you skin tone but feel and look like u have nothing on. u can get some cover girl from target. I would do mascara in stead of eyeliner and I would say to a lite lip gloss and ur good to go. it will look great but very natural.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sephora if there is one near you, or a make up counter for one of the less frou frou lines (like Clinique) will be happy to give you a few tips for a natural looking professional face. Depending on your age and the condition of your skin, it may just be a light bronzer or even a moisturizer with a lightly penciled eyebrow, or if you are dark haired, just a brush of the brows, light mascara, a little sheer color on your cheeks and a lip gloss.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Tinted moisturizer or the self-matching foundation (I think mine is from Almay). A bit of powder to eliminate shine. Possibly eyeliner (just a little) and always mascara (again, don't go too heavy on this). Some tinted lip balm or sheer lipstick and you're done. Just a little bit to even your skin tone and emphasize your eyes but not so much you look like a clown headed to a club.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you have a friend who wears it well, ask her. I almost never wear makeup, but like tinted moisturizer, mascara and a little lip color. Your professional attitude, enthusiasm, and genuine smile will outshine anything you put on your face!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'll join the chorus for YouTube. Great tutorials there. For pretty much any look you could possibly want to achieve.

But honestly, it would also be helpful to think of a friend who you feel does a good job with their makeup and ask them for some pointers.

Then there's also Sephora and pretty much any makeup counter at department stores. They sometimes try to push you to buy products, though.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I don't wear makeup often although I love playing with it occasionally. When working I'd wear mascara and a tinted lip balm, a bit of foundation under my eyes when I had dark circles and that's about it. What do you need to enhance? Just going for a polished look?
  • Poemetra
    Poemetra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with others and say youtube! Youtube is a wonderful place to learn about new products and different tips and tricks for simple styles. If you want eyeshadow then I would try to practice first before you go. Mascara and a nice lipstick is a good way to go.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a make-up counter in a Department Store? They'll 'do' your makeup for free and teach you how. Then there's "Mary Kay" "Merle Norman" and that ilk, as well, who will show you how...the draw back to them is, you have to sit thru the sales pitch.

Good luck.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Mascara is a must. Also-- a tawny brown shadow will enhance your eyes.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    If you have a Sephora, they will help you SO much. They'll also give you some take home samples and will color match you, tell you exactly what to apply and how much, etc.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    go to youtube theres ALOT of make up gurus even fr natural looks if you want natural and keep it simple just go with eyeliner and mascara but keep it light on the eyeliner not to much :)
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Very basics for a pulled together professional look: An Eyelash Curler, Mascara (waterproof so you don't smudge), tinted moisturizer, and a tinted lip balm.
    Next step up: eye liner (easiest way to do this without a lot of practice is with a fine brush and a brown, charcoal, or black eye shadow on the lash line--if you mess up you can easily smudge it because it's a shadow), and blush and or bronzer (just enough for a healthy glow--don't try and fool anyone into thinking you were on a Caribbean Island for 2 weeks, just that you see the sun 30 minutes a day and have a healthy flush of the cheek).
    Intermediate: Eye Brow makeup (pencil, powder, or pen), Eye shadow, Eye liner (kohl, pencil, or liquid), concealer, foundation, face powder.

You Tube, Sephora, The Beauty Department, and Bobbi Brown have tutorials. Bobbi Brown is THE BEST makeup artist for a naturally enhanced look, so check out her resources.

Have fun!
    Be sure to get a small bottle of eye make remover. Especially if you plan to practice a few times before--and you should remove your make up before going to bed anyways.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You tube sounds like a fine idea. You might also visit a high end department store, go to the makeup counter and ask for a consultation. They might be able to share a few tips with you and you can also ask any questions you might have even after seeing it on you tube.
    Good Luck!