Run with or without water???

Options
Okay. So when I am at the gym on the treadmill I like to take a water bottle with me. I for some reason get extremely thristy while walking or running. While walking or jogging outside I also still take a bottle of water, but it feels inconvenient to carry.

Do you run with or with out water?

Do you get extremely thirsty/ cotton mouth like me?

Do you know of anyways to avoid and this from happening?

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I do not take water if it's a short run (anything under 5 miles or so). I feel like if I hydrate well during the day I will not need it. On longer runs I do take water. I have a small bottle that has a strap that goes on your hand. It makes it easy to carry because it's in your hand but you don't have to grip it. It's not an entire 20 oz bottle, but it should get you through a short run or walk if you need water every time.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/s.nl/it.A/id.881/.f
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take a 1 litre water bottle with me when I do a 10km run.It is a pain to run with but I need the water over that distance. Shorter runs I tend not to take water with me but focus on breathing through the nose and out the mouth at a steady rate so to not dry out my mouth to much.

Also depending on how hot it is if you are outdoors, need to keep hydrated!!!:happy:
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't as I feel unwell/get a stitch if I drink when running. When I'm doing a run over 5km I will stop at a bubbler/at my car at get a small drink, just enough to wet my mouth.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    I take water with me when I go for long runs (over 10K or if it is super hot out), but I use a fuel belt which holds the bottles nice and tight and I barely notice it's there.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I never take water, perhaps because I've trained from the beginning without it. Then again, the most I ever do is 9mi :)

On a long run or race, I'll hydrate for at least 24 hrs in advance.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I always take water, even for a mile run. It is so humid and muggy though right now, so that has a lot to do with it. I get dry mouth, and there is a mouthwash called Biotene that helps temporarily.
  • tamtamzz
    Options
    Under 5 miles or so, no. If I do drink, it's just a small amount. Water jostling around in my stomach while I'm running is uncomfortable for me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Generally for runs under an hour, I don't take water, but for longer runs I usually do, especially in summer. Unless I know there are water fountains along the way - which there aren't usually on my routes.

I have a Nathan water belt that holds a 600 ml bottle (with a little pocket for gel, keys etc) so I use this to carry my water and other bits and pieces.
    http://nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/waist-paks/triangle

I wonder if you aren't hydrated enough before you start - try drinking more water the night before and the morning before you go to the gym, this might help.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always take water, even for a mile run. It is so humid and muggy though right now, so that has a lot to do with it. I get dry mouth, and there is a mouthwash called Biotene that helps temporarily.

I think that may be part of why my mouth is even more dry because it is so humid and muggy right now... I may look into that biotene.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try to do with out water. I will try to hold out until I am done walking/running and at the end if I am thirsty I shall drink.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've run up to 8 miles without carrying water. Water you drink during a shorter run is mostly just going to wet your mouth as it takes time to absorb the water out of your stomach and small intestine and get it out to your muscles. Really anything under 45 minutes to 1 hour and you're reliant on your pre-run hydration.

Now that I'm going to push my training runs up to 10 miles or more, I recently picked up an Amphipod Full-Tilt hydration waistpack to carry a 20oz bottle at the small of my back. Haven't used it yet, but I wanted to keep my hands free and not wear a pack (I get hot and sweat like a beast with just a shirt on, don't want something on my back insulating me).
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    I always top up my water bottle when going out on my bike. Just in case I go mad and do more than just pop to the shops.

If its a planned ride, then I take about 3 litres (6 pints) with me.

We all sweat when exercising and replenishing water during helps us maximise efficiency.
    Plus, that much water give the old kidneys a damn good work out too.

Always a good thing IMO
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    thats what the water packs like camel bak are for. I always would bring water with me when I was running. Can't wait to start again. I also chewed gum to help with the cotton mouth feel.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill at the gym I take water because I don't have to carry it - it sits in the holder. I don't drink it until after I'm through, but it's nice to have. When I'm trail running I don't like to carry water. Anything under 7-8 miles and I don't seem to need it if I hydrated well beforehand and have access to water immediately after. I made the mistake of doing 10 miles in the heat without water once. I got a bit sick after that run. I won't be doing that again. :drinker:

ETA: YES! Almost forgot the gum! If I don't have gum on a long run, I get that dry mouth feeling. Gum definately helps!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I'm running along my usual routes in the city I don't bother bringing any water with me no matter how long I'm out there. I know where all the water fountains are. If I'm out doing a trail run I use a hydration pack.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    On my standard routes I know where I can stop for water. Otherwise, especially on my long runs, I have my hydration belt that holds two 300ml bottles. I am a sipper so it works better for me than pitstops where I have to gulp a lot of water.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If it is a short run..3-5 miles I may or may not wear my fuel belt. If my run is between 5-15 miles I wear my fuel belt. Anything after 15 miles I wear my camelpak which carries 72 oz of fluid. It all depends on how I'm training on a particular day. The one thing I've discovered is that I can go farther when I hydrate properly.