Women and Make Up Question

Options
2»

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    While high end stuff is super awesome, drugstore brands have come a long way.

My favorite eyeliner is by Physician's Formula. It's a pen liner, and with a little practice, it looks great! I think it's under $10.

If you visit reddit, there's /r/makeupaddiction: a group of lovely ladies and gents who can help you out. I've found lots of good tips there.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    On a typical day, I wear Stila kitten eyeshadow (a shimmery very light color), pencil liner, tinted moisturizer, and concealer.

I went to Nordstroms and got my makeup done and that was how I found colors that looked good on me and learned how to properly line my eyes.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with Sephora or Ulta. Tell them what the occasion is--you don't want to look like a cheap tart for a career fair. --Believe me, I know this--I'm on the receiving end of the applicants.

The nice thing about going to Ulta or Sephora instead of a specific counter at a department store is that they can recommend products from a number of different lines and manufacturers instead of just one.

Good luck!
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    YouTube. I'd stick with only eyeliner and mascara, given that it's a career fair. Use a pencil so that you can smudge the eyeliner a little with a Q-tip. I'd recommend staying away from eyeshadow (or else just use it very sparingly). It always makes me wince when I see girls wearing so much makeup at career fairs. They look more like they're about to head out to a nightclub.

^^^ this. I have interviewed and hired a lot of people in my career and if you want to be taken seriously, simple is best. A little eyeliner and mascara and a touch of lipstick in a neutral color is the way to go. It's fun to go to a department store cosmetics counter to see what they suggest but their goal is to sell you as much product as they can ... you don't want to wear all that stuff to work though.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    youtube definitely!

this website is also great for idea's, how-to's and tutorials as well as general beauty, healthy & well being info

http://dropdeadgorgeousdaily.com/
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Many aestheticians offer lessons on how to apply make-up. You can also go to one of the makeup counters at a department store and they can give you tips and suggest products. Either way, choose someone that you think wears their makeup nicely.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot at Clinique counters in department stores. As a transgender woman, I didn't have the benefit of learning when I was young. The Clinique sales people always look classy and not overdone, so it seemed like a good choice for me. I don't care for a lot of makeup, but at this stage in my transition I have to wear quite a bit of foundation. That requires that I do eyes and lips everytime I head out the door, and they were able to show how to do it without looking like a drag queen.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Sephora or The Body Shop. I don't usually wear make-up, but when I do I wear a pressed powder or mineral powder (I have oily skin, for other people a liquid type might be better), then I wear a light blush and apply to look how it would look if I was naturally "blushing". Then I wear Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment (I love that so much, it gives just a little hint of color and moisturizes the lips, they have other colors. I get this at Sephora. This is the one thing I will use daily). Then I use an eyelash curler to curl my lashes and that makes me look like I have mascara on. I don't like to wear eye make-up.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    you tube is great.

I am a make-up artist and worked for M.A.C. for 4 years and not do make up for weddings and parties. if u are just starting out i would say try at tinted moisturizer it will just even out you skin tone but feel and look like u have nothing on. u can get some cover girl from target. I would do mascara in stead of eyeliner and I would say to a lite lip gloss and ur good to go. it will look great but very natural.

This is excellent advise
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There is nothing Youtube can't answer.
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be too dramatic, maybe use a dark eyeshadow and a liner brush as eyeliner, mascara (NEVER WEAR LINER WITHOUT MASCARA!!), a light blush, and maybe some gloss or a neutral lipstick. Check out youtube, but many of their tutorials are dramatic and more than you really need. Also do a trial run the night before so you're not scrambling!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Go to a Clinique counter and ask for a makeover. Buy a lip gloss or eyeshadow, it will be worth it! Have them give you some tips, much better to see in person than on a video.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot at Clinique counters in department stores. As a transgender woman, I didn't have the benefit of learning when I was young. The Clinique sales people always look classy and not overdone, so it seemed like a good choice for me. I don't care for a lot of makeup, but at this stage in my transition I have to wear quite a bit of foundation. That requires that I do eyes and lips everytime I head out the door, and they were able to show how to do it without looking like a drag queen.

One thing I do love to watch are drag tutorials on youtube! They are soooo good!

Best of luck with your transition :flowerforyou: