Replacements for buns?

I've recently went gluten free due to the fact that I think I've developed an intolerance to it. I like to eat turkey burgers and I've used lettuce as a replacement for a bun, but it tastes to bland. Any other gluten free options?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Gluten free buns
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Kale with hot sauce or lime pickle (the latter has a lot of salt, but tastes awesome with turkey).

I really like the Smart and Delicious low carb, whole wheat tortillas. I saw today they have them gluten free. I actually think they taste better than regular tortillas.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    tortillas or lettuce, don't try gluten free without your doctor's opinion. It's not good for EVERYONE.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Udi's does have gf hamburger buns. They are bit on the thick side so I generally slice them down a bit. If you are missing the bun it may work for you.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    sweet peppers. Cut the side off and use it
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Gluten free buns

Problem is I cannot find those anywhere. Ordering things online get expensive because of shipping and such.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    tortillas or lettuce, don't try gluten free without your doctor's opinion. It's not good for EVERYONE.

Already tried lettuce, too bland. What do u mean, it's not good for everyone?
  • anial
    anial Posts: 27 Member
    Wholegrain tortillas
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Gluten free buns

Problem is I cannot find those anywhere. Ordering things online get expensive because of shipping and such.

Do you cook? There are tons of recipes online for making your own.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    I've got a couple friends who have developed gluten allergies, another friend and my mom both have Celiac's (autoimmune gluten intolerance).

One friend told me she uses the Udi's gf bagels as hamburger buns since they stink as bagels. My mom does not like the Udi's brand breads and buns, but on a recent trip to visit me she picked up a loaf of Canyon Bakehouse gf bread and really liked it. You can google their website if you like, it has a store finder for local retailers. There are also a lot of other brands of premade breads, buns, pizza crusts, toaster waffles, etc. There are also mixes for making them at home yourself. You can find gf bread recipes, but it takes a large number of non-wheat flours to make a decent replica of wheat flour bread (soft, spongy but firm enough to be chewy texture that comes from gluten in wheat).

Short of gf bread products you're looking at lettuce wraps or using other veggies in a similar fashion.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Try Schar brand, I believe their website allows you to find stores that sell Schar near you.

http://www.schar.com/us/

Edit: I love Udi's bagels so much more than regular bagels. Oh my god. I am crazy for those.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member

I got my Amazon prime account for $20. Free 2 days shipping on almost all items - I do a huge majority of my shopping that way.
  • TeeNico1191
    TeeNico1191 Posts: 15 Member
    Kale and Mustard greens gives a little kick to whatever you eat it with!
  • AmyFett
    It can cause more harm than good in all actuality. If you don't have an intolerance or a disease like celiac disease, then why go gluten free? People think that's it's just healthy and good for them, in reality it's not. Just my opinion. Cutting it off can actually lead you to have an intolerance if you pick it up again years later or whenever.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

Already tried lettuce, too bland. What do u mean, it's not good for everyone?

Gluten free is good for everyone. Some people are just in such denial. NO ONE needs grains. <sigh>
  • Use portabella mushrooms. Pick ones about the size of buns. Super yummy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Use portabella mushrooms. Pick ones about the size of buns. Super yummy.

Yes, I was going to mention this, but got flustered with the other comment someone else had made.

Grill them along side your other burgers.
  • AmyFett
    Use portabella mushrooms. Pick ones about the size of buns. Super yummy.

Yes, I was going to mention this, but got flustered with the other comment someone else had made.

Grill them along side your other burgers.

sorry for flustering you LOL. Like i said, my opinion. I never said you NEED anything either. I just know I won't go 'whatever' free unless i had to. I don't want to limit myself to I can have this, or I can't have that. There's no need.