A Protein Powder that doesn't taste like something died in i

Options
sdirks
sdirks Posts: 223 Member
I'm looking to increase my protein intake while managing my cholesterol. I'm sick of chicken 2 out of 3 meals a day, too! I typically have a 200cal fruit smoothie 2-4 times a week and would like to incorporate a protein powder, since I'm already in the habit of firing up the blender.

The only thing I remember from the last time I tried a protein powder was: YUCK! I have a huge sweet tooth and need something that either tastes remotely good to begin with or can be disguised in my typical orange/pineapple smoothies. Vanilla? Maybe chocolate? And possibly something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I may work for a lawfirm, but I don't have a lawyer's salary! :sad:

Thanks in advance, ladies & gents! You're great!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10322371&sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10322371

I've been using this for a bout a week, and I'm happy with it so far. But I'm sure there are others that are better versed in the wheys of supplements.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    GNC Wheybolic vanilla....very low in carbs and tastes good...

I put extracts in it.....coconut...almond.....other fruit extracts..

good luck

sorry for the 2 posts
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    GNC Wheybolic vanilla....very low in carbs and tastes good...

I put extracts in it.....coconut...almond.....other fruit extracts..

good luck
  • cavanar2
    Options
    I second the GNC wheybolic. It's not chalky @ all
  • jodieleigh
    Options
    Hey!

I'm a keen cyclist and have to take recovery shakes each time I train to help my muscles recover! I use High5 protein recovery in vanilla and it's like drinking a milkshake!!! Not sure it it's got enough protein in it for you but maybe worth a look hun!

Good luck xx:smile:
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10322371&sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10322371

I've been using this for a bout a week, and I'm happy with it so far. But I'm sure there are others that are better versed in the wheys of supplements.

"wheys of supplements'.... way of protein supplements...

Play on words, I like it IPlayOutside! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    GNC sells French Vanilla 100% Egg Protein that tastes really great when mixed with milk. I LOVE it. Only kind I ever buy
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!

The Body Fortress would be perfect... except that I live in NYC. The nearest Walmart is in New Jersey, maybe a 2 hour drive. That sounds worse than the last protein powder I drank, lol

There's a GNC across the street from my office, so I'll definately check it out after work!

Thanks again.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS Chocolate Whey powder. Taste a lot like swiss miss hot chocolate.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had a similar post recently to ask people what their favorites were. I also am not a big fan. Here is what they had to say:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73227-favorite-brand-of-protein-shake
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to try the same thing and happened to step in the "health foods" section at my local Kroger on Sunday. They had sale going on a 8 oz protein drink by Mix 1. There were several flavors - mixed berry, blueberry, tangerine, mango. The normal price is 1.99 per bottle, but they were on sale at 8 for $10. I wanted to get a bunch of them, but was concerned about the taste. Well tonight I tried the first one (mixed berry). It was actually pretty good. It tended to coat the inside of my mouth a bit, but was not chalky and did not leave a bad aftertaste. I am pretty certain I will go back before the sale ends and get several more.

BTW - even if they are not on sale, I can get 10 servings for $20 which is the same price as buying one of those huge protein powder mixes which surprisingly have 10 servings also.
  • rdahly
    rdahly Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey the only flavor that I have used is Chocolate Malt and it tastes great, I look forward to having it.

GNC is much more expensive, I am able to get twice as much from bodybuilding.com even with shipping than if I go to GNC.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I like "Maxs HydroxyPhase+" - just ignore the picture on the container... It's not a bulking protein like the picture might have you believe!! I've tried the mochachino flavour which tastes just like a milkshake - yum!! And that's just mixed with water.
    It's high in protein and very low in carbs and fat - great for those days when I'm close to my limit on carbs but running low on protein. It's not powdery like some others, and also not bitter like others I've tried. I was lucky to get a sample from the lady at the shop before I bought it, so I didn't waste my money.

At the end of the day different people like different brands and flavours and textures, so if you can get some samples it's great. Also, sometimes brands sell pre-mixed versions of their powders which is a great way to try it for a few dollars, rather than buy a whole tub only to discover that you don't like the taste or texture.

Not sure where this is available in the US though, sorry... You could probably order it online I guess, if you couldn't find it in a shop.

Price-wise I think it's cheaper than GNC products (which I also like). That said I think it's worth paying for something you like or you won't drink it so if you like a GNC product then by all means go for that :)
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The julian michaels one from walmart is sooo good... its 10 dollars and its really good tasting... it comes in chocolate and vanilla and i love both of them
  • Sabs_21
    Sabs_21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey the only flavor that I have used is Chocolate Malt and it tastes great, I look forward to having it.

GNC is much more expensive, I am able to get twice as much from bodybuilding.com even with shipping than if I go to GNC.

I've been using the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor of this brand. It's delicious! Makes my smoothies taste like I'm drinking ice cream shakes, lol. It even tastes great in the morning mixed in with some instant oatmeal. Great way to add easy protein to your breakfast.

You can buy a variety pack of all of Optimum Nutrition's flavors from bulknutrition.com for about $19. They have 16 different flavors I think. I'm looking forward to it coming in so I can try the rest.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I've been using the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor of this brand. It's delicious! Makes my smoothies taste like I'm drinking ice cream shakes, lol. It even tastes great in the morning mixed in with some instant oatmeal. Great way to add easy protein to your breakfast.

You can buy a variety pack of all of Optimum Nutrition's flavors from bulknutrition.com for about $19. They have 16 different flavors I think. I'm looking forward to it coming in so I can try the rest.

I also love Optimum Nutrition in the Extreme Chocolate Milk flavor - it's awesome!
  • my2boystx
    Options
    Same Here LOVE the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey I use the vanilla ice cream flavor one but want to try the other flavors too!
  • jdorais
    jdorais Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check out Jay Robb protiens. low low low carb- almost zero and tastes great too. It uses stevia instead of sucralose for a bit of sweetness.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    A really good protein powder that tastes pretty sweet & I LOVE the flavor of it is Jay Robb's orange dreamsicle whey protein powder. I usually put it with skim milk or vanilla soy milk it's delicious! I buy it in packets & I usually use half the packet at a time