Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
?

Replies

• katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the laws in the US, but in the UK emotional abuse cannot be convicted alone, but can add to a sentence for someone also comitting other crimes.

Should it be? YES.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    i don't know about the laws in the US, but in the UK emotional abuse cannot be convicted alone, but can add to a sentence for someone also comitting other crimes.

Should it be? YES.

Does anyone know anything about Australian laws?
    I've googled it and can't find anything.
  • afgivens4
    Options
    Yes. It is a form of abuse, but you need the proof behind the accusation if you plan to file charges against some one for that single claim, and that is very hard to do considering it will be a he said/she said battle in any courtroom.

The is in the United States. I do not know about any where else. Sorry
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    it is not illegal.
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, unfortunately not.

However, in my job I work closely with social services and I face alot of families who have gone through things like domestic violence. One tip we always advise is to write a diary of what happenned, and when, very accurately so that if need be, it can be used against the one abusing. This isn't a thoughts and feeling diary, just a "its the 3rd of september, this person said or did this and this time today". Does that make sense?

Sometimes we let the abuser (can't think of a better word, sorry!) see this diary and sometimes they look back and realise exactly what they have done, not realising it's impact.

Kidpower, women's aid, porchlight, and reach out austrailia are worth googling
  • chezileigh
    Options
    emotional abuse against children has legal implications, albeit not criminal ones, but there are certainly laws to protect children from this sort of abuse. My experience is in UK law.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sadly, no.

It's impossible to prove and impossible to see the injuries and the legal system is already clogged beyond breaking point.

The only thing an emotionally abused person can do is get away from the abuser. (hopefully this is possible)

Been there, done that. I moved out of home at 17 due to unrelenting emotional bullying - I'm 35 now and I've never really recovered.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It would be impossible to criminalize such a thing as what qualifies as emotional abuse is going to vary person by person.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Sadly, no.

It's impossible to prove and impossible to see the injuries and the legal system is already clogged beyond breaking point.

The only thing an emotionally abused person can do is get away from the abuser. (hopefully this is possible)

Been there, done that. I moved out of home at 17 due to unrelenting emotional bullying - I'm 35 now and I've never really recovered.

What if you can;t get away from them though... :L
  • foxyforce
    Options
    but you can get away from them. i know from your other post you mentioned you are strapped financially, however, you can go to a shelter, a friends house, etc. these are not ideal situations but you have to weigh your need to get away from your parents.

you can always go on social assistance. it will keep your head above the water for a time being.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    but you can get away from them. i know from your other post you mentioned you are strapped financially, however, you can go to a shelter,

her parents supposedly dont support her healthy food choices and because they eat Mcdonalds and called her rude for not eating the food they bought for her, so she claims emotional abuse.

This would not qualify as emotional abuse.

advising her to go live in a shelter? come on. I would suggest you visit a shelter and see if you think this would be an easier way to live.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    but you can get away from them. i know from your other post you mentioned you are strapped financially, however, you can go to a shelter,

her parents supposedly dont support her healthy food choices and because they eat Mcdonalds and called her rude for not eating the food they bought for her, so she claims emotional abuse.

advising her to go live in a shelter? come on. I would suggest you visit a shelter and see if you think this would be an easier way to live.

dude, i work in a shelter, i am at work right now. which is why i said it is not ideal. but she is acting helpless and i am just letting her know the whole "what if i can't do anything" is bs. there is ALWAYS something you can do, unless you are being held hostage of course.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Calling me a mistake, a worthless piece of ****, I have no brain cells, a slut, I don't deserve happiness, a stupid *****, telling me I should go kill myself and blaming my brother stabbing me on me isn't emotional abuse?
    Oh, tell me what is then.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

dude, i work in a shelter, i am at work right now. which is why i said it is not ideal. but she is acting helpless and i am just letting her know the whole "what if i can't do anything" is bs. there is ALWAYS something you can do, unless you are being held hostage of course.

fair enough.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    to add: shelters can be a really ****ty place. but if you absolutely need to get out, then get out. just use it as a bed and that is it.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    aren't you going to school? have you looked into getting loans and renting on campus?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Calling me a mistake, a worthless piece of ****, I have no brain cells, a slut, I don't deserve happiness, a stupid *****, telling me I should go kill myself and blaming my brother stabbing me on me isn't emotional abuse?

It's a nightmare is what it is.

Thats not only emotional abuse but physical.. and like others said, you need to get out.

I barely spend anytime at home anymore.. why? Because I'm freaking sick and tired of listening to my father treat me like crap! I either go to work, the gym or out with friends when I can.. and if I do need to be home, then I stay in my room far away from him.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    aren't you going to school? have you looked into getting loans and renting on campus?

I'm going to tafe at the moment, not going to uni until next year.
    There is nowhere on campus to rent but was looking into it for next year.
  • foxyforce
    Options

It's a nightmare is what it is.

Thats not only emotional abuse but physical.. and like others said, you need to get out.

I barely spend anytime at home anymore.. why? Because I'm freaking sick and tired of listening to my father treat me like crap! I either go to work, the gym or out with friends when I can.. and if I do need to be home, then I stay in my room far away from him.

that is not physical abuse. the part from her parents anyways. the thing about emotional and psychological abuse is that it can't be quantified in terms of the damage that it is doing. but there are options. i recommend seeking counselling.
  • foxyforce
    Options

I'm going to tafe at the moment, not going to uni until next year.
    There is nowhere on campus to rent but was looking into it for next year.

there will be places surrounding the campus, a lot of people will just rent to those students cause they know they can turn them over. talk to your guidance counsellor to see what your options are. you may also be eligible for a youth shelter. youth shelters here are to 24, and youth shelters are actually really great and supportive and will let you stay as long as you are in school and until a specific age. adult shelters on the other hand...at least here...give you 2 week stays and most of the staff and/or people will treat you like crap.

p.s. good luck.