I want to run outside - where do I start?!

Options
I tried C25k on the treadmill, but did not really keep it up. I got to Week 2. It was do-able. Then one day I tried it outside - I didn't even last 5 minutes. Granted I had a lot of distractions, my 8 year old was with me, on his bike, so I had to watch him and filter out his constant talking! I didn't try it again after that.

But lately I have found I need more of a challenge. I currently do Body Pump, strength training and Spinning. I have had my second Spinning class and realise that I have more stamina than I thought I had. I feel like I need more! Also my weight has plateaued in the 160's, halfway to my weight loss goal of 133 - and since January when I joined MFP, I have only really lost around 9lbs. I reckon running will give me the boost I need.

I recently read a post on here by a 300lb MFP-er who has just run her second 5k, and others like that which inspire me. So what's the problem here? The thought of running around outside, just fills me with dread :sick: I have tried to break this down. Do I think I am fit enough? Possibly. Do I feel safe outside? Reasonably. Will I injure myself? Maybe. Will I die? No.

I know it sounds silly but I think the problem is that I am too embarassed to run outside :blushing: on my own. I am hardly lithe and athletic after all! There is no one reliable I can ask to run with me, I don't want to join a running club and have to keep up with other people. Last time I tried running with my husband ten years ago, he was too bossy, and my 8 year old is just too distracting accompany me on his bike. So I HAVE to do this on my own!

I was just wondering whether there was anyone else who started off feeling really embarrassed and self-conscious, and how you overcame this? My goal is to be able to run 5k by this time next year, and enter an official 5k race.

Replies

• logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to hear the responses to this, I started running with my husband last year and we got up to being able to run for 15mins non-stop (which doesnt sound much but i found 30secs difficult when we started).
    He has stopped running as his physical job means he is pretty much knackered when he gets home anyway.
    I would love to start running on my own but am too chicken!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I run out in between local farms where very few people see me. Occasionally I run into someone I know but they are usually running too. I am not embarrased anymore. It is sooo much nicer running outside that biding your time on a tread mill. Before you know it you have run an hour. I have a specific route I take each time and I absolutely love it. You can run and walk and switch off. Keep pushing yourself and you will find your own rhythm. I never thought I could ever be a runner, but I looooove it sooo much and I really enjoy the way it makes me feel all day long way after I have run. Endorphins are where it's at!! :)
  • sodaisy
    Options
    I started running since May this year and I never run on treadmill before (actually never run before), my advice is just get outside and do it. I was walking most of the time to start with, I didn't care what other people think as they don't know who I am and where I live. But I am never self conscious. I pass people and they might look at me for that split second and I am sure they won't think of me for the rest of the day, I know I dont.

Good luck with this!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Just start... A year from now you will wonder what the fuss was about.
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I ted running outside but I was doing my runs at about 530 in the morning, no one was around it was great! Once you get fitter you dont mind being seen as much!
  • fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First try to find a park or something similar to run in, so you don't need to watch the traffic. I put my favourite dance music on when running and pretend I'm dancing in my mind. I still make sure I can hear my surrounding, sometimes you have to watch out for dogs wanting to play with you and other distractions. Then just concentrate on the enjoyment of running, the green, the fresh air.
    This hopefully will take your mind off yourself. Anyway, when people see other people running, no matter which size, they always think about themselves, their lack of fitness, that they need to go to the gym or other stuff like that. Nobody is interested in how you look when running (ok, maybe a guy will find you attractive...), but everybody is just to busy thinking about themselves.
    Ah, and take it easy first, just 20 mins are enough to get used to it. Good luck!
  • genefabes
    Options
    do NOT be embarrassed! first of all, you should feel incredibly empowered already by the weight you've lost. and every time you step outside to run you should feel empowered each time you're done. I started regularly running seven years ago. I was in sports in high school, but never a runner. so when I started I couldn't hold a stride more than five minutes either. but five minutes will turn into forty and forty will turn into your 5K or whatever goal you have. collect information like you did from C25K or runnersworld.com to learn how to properly run and rest.

i had an overweight friend that wouldn't join the gym with me or run with me for the longest time and I always tried to explain to her that I and do many people I've talked to always are quick to see someone like her and think "good for her!" and never "oh god look at her". so just remember, most often the voice behind the judgement is really our own. good luck girl!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is different running outside vs treadmill but still doable. I would say to start the c25k program over again and do the whole thing either inside or outside. Be consistent with the method you choose. Some people need to repeat weeks and that's fine, just make yourself run 3x a week. If you have a smart phone download an app for it.

At some point you have to quit worrying about what people you don't know think of you and just do it. Maybe you can be an inspiration to others. They see you out there running and think, "well if she can do it, then so can I". Maybe you can find a friend that is in similar shape and wants to do the program with you?

Good luck!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The best way to deal with your running fears is to face them head up. Get up! Get ready! Go out and run! Start with a 10 minute run and see how you feel. The next time you go out run a little longer. Continue the process until able to run comfortably. If endurance is a problem...trying running a few blocks and walking a few blocks. Increase the distance and time as you go along until you are able to run a full 5k. I started my fitness journey last November. I could barely run a mile without getting physical winded and mentally challenged. I'm currently training for my first marathon which is at the end of September. I ran 23 miles last weekend. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT!
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There's some great advice in this thread already. I want to add two more messages of support:

1) I've been trying to start C25K outdoors on-and-off for the past 12 weeks, as I moved from 195lbs to 174. Yesterday, for the first time, I succeeded in the whole 30 minutes and I am SO PROUD. I did the first half on a fairly secluded section of woodlands, and by the time I reached the main public track, I was past caring what anyone thought. All I could focus on was breathing and listening for the blessed "beep" on my headphones.

2) This is what inspired me to get out of the gym and grace the public with my be-tracksuited butt: a positive blog re-posted on MFP. Last time I quoted it, people mistakenly thought I was the author, so here's the link instead!
    http://flintland.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Please befriend me if you want another newbie runner for commiseration and encouragements :) And good luck out there!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh I was so totally like you when I started running outside, but believe me you'll find it much easier to stick with running outside than on a treadmill; you can pick your pace and the distractions will make the time pass much quicker.

My biggest tip for running outside alone is to wear a digital watch,.When your C25K timings say you're due a break, or if you just need a rest, look at your wrist, tap it knowingly and smile as you change speeds! Makes all the difference to give the world the impression you know what you're doing!

Here are my running tips for beginners:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Please note point 1:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just head out your front door with some music and water =)

I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Other runners will respect what you are doing regardless of your size, shape, or speed. Everyone else can STFU because you are doing something that the vast majority of the population would never even attempt.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My sister and I hold each other accountable. We live in different towns but run together in spirit. Each day (running day) we text or email each other with our distances, times etc. with a few words of encouragement. This seems to be someone to run with without someone to run with. We started the C25K program last Fall and are still running now. We do run early in the morning~no one sees us and this is what has worked for us.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hey,

My little sister (who actually ain't SO Little) has just started C25K here in the UK and she asked me how I coped with going to Pole Dancing Classes when I was 19 stone (266 pounds).

I would say that the only thing you've got to remember is

"At 20 you worry all the time about what people think of you"
    "At 40 you don't care what people are thinking of you.
    "At 50 - you suddenly realise, NO ONE was thinking about you."

So it doesn't matter where you run (as long as you are safe), ignore those thoughts that say people are laughing at you and can pinpoint all the stuff you can't do (because they aren't and those thoughts are WRONG) and finally - just do it, because there will come a day (real soon), when you just know you did the right thing.

Yes it's hard to start, but you will be amazed at how quickly things start to change.

Mavis
  • FireFae
    Options

Oh, wow, that text is amazing ... it moved me to tears.

I remember seeing a few heavier runners out there in the hills and I marveled at how much they were pushing themselves! At some point I thought to myself: "Wow, I would probably pass out at this point." Looking at a guy who sweated so profusely his entire attire was soaked and he was not breathing anymore, but wheezing ... but HE PUSHED ON! I felt a sharp sense of humility and awe. I felt like a little whiner seeing what this guy could do - how much he could push himself ... (This was in response to the blog text, not the OP.)

I'm a new runner also. I started the couch25k program over a month ago, but then stopped for a few weeks and started back up over a week ago. Now I'm on week 3 and it really is getting better. I run in a park that is frequented by many other runners of various fitness levels and nobody gives anybody any weird looks ... ever. Anyone with half a brain and a certain maturity level won't try to make you feel uncomfortable in any way.

I don't know if anyone suggested this before, but if you think the program is progressing a little too fast, you can extend the weeks. For example, you can do week 1 not 3 times, but 4 or 5 times, etc. There is no shame in that and in fact, I think it's a very smart thing to do if you feel that is what you need - as the old adage says: "Listen to your body."

GO FOR IT! You can add me if you want :)
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Please don't be embarrassed - runners inspire me! I need to loose weight before I can attempt to run and I've heard that running on a treadmill isn't very good for your knees!
    As the others have said, do it at quiet times and smile, SMILE BIG BECAUSE YOU ARE RUNNING!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    I found this tough at the start too, i was so embarrassed I even went running at 5am once so no-one would see me!

My main advice - pace yourself, just run to the next tree and walk to the one after that kind of thing. I still mainly run on my own but sometimes I like to get the family involved. Why not try setting out to run to a local beauty spot or park and get your family to drive out there to meet you, your family being there gives you a moral boost, they get some exercise while you have a bit of a rest (don't stop exercising though, i usually mix running with walking/stretching so I don't stiffen up). If it's too much for you to run back you can get in the car with them or you can ask them to meet you at a point on the way home, work up to getting home by yourself. I did my first 5k in July this year & i was so proud of myself but my family were so supportive & now take a more active role in my 'fitness' as they see it as hugely beneficial. Hope his helps! :happy:
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    Don't think so much about it....just do it! We are all our own worst enemies at times. Everytime I see a runner outside, I think "great job", "you can do it" etc, etc. I believe that is what most people do think. Fill your mind with positive thoughts about all you are doing for your health. Focus on your breathing, feeling the warm or cool air, rain, sunshine etc. Set goals for yourself....for every three times I run outside, I'll do my nails...you get the idea. I know you can do this!!! And look forward to hearing all about it!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it. Just go. Most people are caught up with their own thoughts and don't even notice you. If they do so what? Think about that 5K you want to run. You need to take care of yourself and don't worry about anybody that sees you. I was over 265 pounds when I started walking and still over 240 when I started very sloooooooooow running. My kids made fun of me : ) "I can walk faster then you run!" oh well. Now they can't keep up. Think about you and what you want to accomplish. If anybody does notice you they won't even think about it 10 minutes later. Running is soooooooooo worth it!

Oh yeah.. You know I joined a running club. I ran by myself for a year and then I found them. I still get in most of my mileage alone. The nice thing I've noticed about our running club is we have people of all fitness levels. Some are walkers, some are really fast. We even have a 71 year old that can run a 5K in 27 minutes. I run with the slower ones some days and faster runners other days. It depends on how my body is feeling. Sometimes I even go with the walkers. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I was convinced I was going to step funny, twist my ankle, fall down a hill into a shallow creek, hit my head on a rock, pass out, and drown in six inches of water, and not have my body found until feral cats had eaten my face. Melodramatic? Me? Never.

I was also embarrassed to be seen running, because "what would people think if they say me stop and walk?" The answer, as other people said, is, "They aren't thinking about you." Someone driving by will see you for about 1.2 seconds before they drive away. If they're putting any thought into you beyond, "Don't hit her with the car," they're weird. And who cares what weirdos think?

Also realize that they have no idea what your training plan is. They've seen you, like I said, for 1.2 seconds. You could have just been running for 20 seconds before they saw you, or you might have just run 10 miles. You could be running planned intervals, or you could have just tuckered out. They don't know. And they don't care.

Also, check online for an upcoming 5k race and go as a spectator. You'll see people of all ages, sizes and body types. There will be runners who look like gazelles, but a lot of them are just normal people like you and me. There will be people who run, people who jog, people who walk, and people who do a combination. And they all get cheers when they cross the finish line.