Nauseous, dizzy, red face during workout

Options
I feel like I'm doing everything imaginable to prevent it. I have a bowl of oatmeal with banana and 2 cups of water before I workout. During, I have at least 4 cups of water and some more afterward. I don't wear layered clothes and keep my room really cool.

Sometimes, close to TTOM, I have a cup of unsweetened black tea 30-60 minutes before my workout, for some added energy. I don't know if that would be affecting anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

So, what gives? Does anyone know what is causing this, or what I might be able to do about it?

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Those are symptoms I get when my heart rate is too high, but we would need more information. Have you tried slowing down or backing off a little? I'm not sure if that is the problem, though, without hearing more.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    I'm not a medical professional, but I would get checked for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Those are symptoms I get when my heart rate is too high, but we would need more information. Have you tried slowing down or backing off a little? I'm not sure if that is the problem, though, without hearing more.

My usual routine is 20 minutes of circuit training followed by 30-40 minutes of cardio kickboxing. I don't start to feel sick until I get to the kickboxing.

I have a lot of knee pain, so I don't even do the workouts the proper way; no jumping jacks or anything. I hardly ever get off the ground. I feel like if I slowed down anymore, I wouldn't be getting a good workout.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you are pushing too hard. The only times I've felt nauseated while exercising were near the end of road races, when I'd been pushing extremely hard.

How much of a time gap do you leave between your pre-workout meal and your workout? If you haven't given the food enough time to settle, your body wants to send more blood to your digestive system and less to your muscles, making you nauseated. Even a lot of movement without a lot of exertion can nauseate you if you eat just beforehand. For example, I could eat just about anything and then lift weights or ride a bike. But running or aerobics, with all that bouncing around, would have me green in a few minutes.

Perhaps experiment with the timing of your meal (I'd leave at least 45 minutes for what you're saying you eat), or try a different, quicker digesting snack.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    I would definitely check with your doctor. Don't want to risk your health!
  • kissedbytheocean
    Options
    My first thought is that you are pushing too hard. The only times I've felt nauseated while exercising were near the end of road races, when I'd been pushing extremely hard.

How much of a time gap do you leave between your pre-workout meal and your workout? If you haven't given the food enough time to settle, your body wants to send more blood to your digestive system and less to your muscles, making you nauseated. Even a lot of movement without a lot of exertion can nauseate you if you eat just beforehand. For example, I could eat just about anything and then lift weights or ride a bike. But running or aerobics, with all that bouncing around, would have me green in a few minutes.

Perhaps experiment with the timing of your meal (I'd leave at least 45 minutes for what you're saying you eat), or try a different, quicker digesting snack.

I usually wait 30-45 minutes after I eat before I start to workout otherwise I feel too weighed down and full.

Do you have any suggestions of a better snack?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Get checked over by a doctor before you continue! Better safe than sorry! X
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Try electrolyte tablets in your water. You can get zero cal ones like high-5, that might help.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I get the nauseous feeling if I work out after eating. I even puked it up before. I just work out on a empty stomach and never got nauseous again. Have you tried working out on a empty stomach?
  • fordies
    Options
    I find I get the nauseous feeling if I don't give myself enough time before eating and training.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i look like a beet and also are nauseous during my work outs but thats because i push myself as much as i can. but i do give myself a break to cool off a little before i do more intense training..everything at once is never good and you dont have time to calm down... i dont usually eat anything before i work out since i will puke it up as well. maybe just have a banana.. or work on an empty stomach or eat after.. like @lacroyx said. my problem is when i eat after anything intense i also puke ahaha
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I get the nauseous feeling if I work out after eating. I even puked it up before. I just work out on a empty stomach and never got nauseous again. Have you tried working out on a empty stomach?

This^^^. I always work out on an empty stomach. It makes me feel better as I'm not full of food. Everyone's different though and some people need the food. Try it and see what happens. Other than that, see your dr.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Have your blood pressure checked.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I can't eat anything substantial for at least an hour before working out. I drink one cup of coffee and workout 15 minutes later in the morning. If I have an empty stomach I will eat a hard boiled egg and what an hour.
  • jenneal89
    Options

I usually wait 30-45 minutes after I eat before I start to workout otherwise I feel too weighed down and full.

Eat something lighter, drink one glass of water and wait an hour before exercising. I exercise first thing in the morning before breakfast and it works well for me. Also, don't drink so much water during you workout. I'm surprised you haven't cramped up to be honest. Just take a few little sips and dink a glass or two afterward.
  • kissedbytheocean
    Options
    I used to workout on an empty stomach, but found that I just tired out too quickly. Plus, I guess if I did have hypoglycemia, wouldn't not eating prior to working out make it worse?

I'm not well-versed in hypoglycemia, but from what I've read, it sounds pretty similar to what I'm experiencing. I guess a trip to the doctor it is!

If that is my problem, should I be eating something different before my workout, or maybe drinking something besides water during/after?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    don't push quite so hard and stop drinking water mid workout - unless you are going for more than 1 hour you really don't need to drink during the workout.
  • kissedbytheocean
    Options

Eat something lighter, drink one glass of water and wait an hour before exercising. I exercise first thing in the morning before breakfast and it works well for me. Also, don't drink so much water during you workout. I'm surprised you haven't cramped up to be honest. Just take a few little sips and dink a glass or two afterward.

I always get super thirsty, because I tend to sweat so much. Is drinking too much water bad during a workout?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you get super thirsty during a 1 hour workout (i'm assuming here) then oyu haven't drunk enough in the day (days) previously. sweating would not make one instantly thirsty.

I always get nauseous if I drink too much mid workout - all that water sloshing about is bound to make you feel icky - if you think about it logically. :-)
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to workout on an empty stomach, but found that I just tired out too quickly. Plus, I guess if I did have hypoglycemia, wouldn't not eating prior to working out make it worse?

I'm not well-versed in hypoglycemia, but from what I've read, it sounds pretty similar to what I'm experiencing. I guess a trip to the doctor it is!

If that is my problem, should I be eating something different before my workout, or maybe drinking something besides water during/after?

Yes, not eating prior would make it worse.
    In any case, check with your doctor, just like you plan to, and then see what the results are.
    Only then it makes sense to plan ahead.
    If you want to check it out yourself without waiting for an appointment, you can just go ahead a buy a blood glucose meter, they cost almost nothing, and then do a test at the moment you feel nauseous during the workout.
    This cannot replace a trip to the doc, as there could be numerous other reasons, and you should still go see her/him, but it would be a quick test.