whey protein powder

Options
2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Skip the whey and use a protein blend like Trutein, XF UP 2.0, or iForce Protean. Better taste.
    Yep, these three are blends of whey, casein and egg whites and are the three best testing powders by far on the market. I like them all but go with Trutein because its cheaper and I like the fact they fully disclose how much of each protein source they use: 40% whey; 40% casein; and 20% egg whites. CinnaBun, Banana Cream and Chocolate PB Cup are so damn delcious even in water.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much extra research beyond the common "protein after workout = good for muscle development". Personally, I like Trader Joe's Chocolate Whey in skim milk. By itself, 2 scoops is 17g and 130 cals and is the tastiest protein I've found.

TJ's whey is so overpriced. Costco sells a good whey protein, 6 lbs for $49
  • demineth
    demineth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the same brand and have started putting some frozen strawberries in the mix. Tastes great after a good workout.
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    For the Aussies on here, I wholeheartedly recommend Tony Sfeir's Naturel whey protein isolate. This stuff is 100% tasteless and almost textureless! You can add it to anything! I mix it in with my juice, my oatmeal, my cereal, smoothies, hot chocolate, the list goes on. Nothing artificial in it, it's low carb and low cal. <3!
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear to the OP (and anyone else who may not know), protein shakes are not some magical weight loss tool : ). It's food, nothing more.

That said, it's a very convenient way to make sure you're getting enough protein. Good as a standalone shake, or an add in to other things (smoothies with a bunch of other stuff etc).

Most seem to be around 24-26g of protein per scoop. So, not having tried the Trader Joe's one mentioned above, it doesn't seem like a great deal (either financially or nutritionally) as 17g of protein is 68 (less than half) calories out of the 130 is from protein and half is from other stuff.

That all being said, eat whichever one you like, and fits your needs best : )
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use the Biggest Loser protein powder. I've had chocolate and vanilla; both are good. It's only 50 calories for a scoop, which is what I like about it. The best recipes are:

2 scoops chocolate powder, handful of ice, Tbl peanut butter, 1 frozen banana, and 1 cup almond milk

and

2 scoops vanilla powder, 2 cups spinach, 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 cup almond milk, packet of stevia

YUM!!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    eas whey protein i get chocolate put in ice water taste like choc milk to me
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Today I bought EAS 100% Whey Protein, 2# container for 19.99 @ Target. I'm pretty sensitive to flavors and this one actually tastes good enough for me to drink straight with water.

I also like that it contains 6.3 grams of BCAAs and 1.6 grams of L-glutamine per serving for post workout recovery.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I was looking into whey protein powders/shakes. Everything I find only completely contradicts everything. I was looking to take whey protein to help with weight loss and toning up. Does anyone recommend a particular brand and have had success? What should I look at in regards to sugar and sodium percentage? Is whey protein also a meal supplement/substitution.

Sorry for all the question!! I am just looking to get information :)

V

It Are you looking for a Protein which would be good for meal replacement or for post workout, I was unsure of your question!
  • TarenMaim
    TarenMaim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've used different brands but I don't have a favourite, I do however buy vanilla flavoured protein now because I usually make a shake out of it, some simple but really delis ones are:

vanilla protein powder, small banana, skim milk, ice
    strawberries, small banana, vanilla protein powder, skim milk, ice
    berries, vanilla protein powder, yogurt, water, ice
    apple, vanilla protein powder, 3 prunes (yay for extra fiber), cinnamon, nutmeg
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use the Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 from GNC (or Sam's Club for cheaper).

I decided on it after recommendations from friends, coworkers, and help from the GNC reps. I was adamant that I did NOT want a meal replacement, so this isn't that. Serving size is 60g protein (3 scoops) but I only use 1 scoop. 1 scoop is only 93 calories, and 2.33g carbs (less than 1g sugar).

People raved about the good taste, but I only like the vanilla and chocolate. Mixed with milk tastes better than water. Mixed with fruit or other stuff in a shake or smoothie post-workout is preferred.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been using Whole Food's 365 Whey Protein Powder, Natural Vanilla flavor. 80 cal in a scoop: 16 g protein. I use this as a meal replacement: 1.5 cup of cold plain soy milk (Westsoy), banana, protein powder, 1 Tbsp of organic smooth peanut butter. Blend that up with about 4 ice cubes. Delicious! This provides you with about a third of your daily protein requirement for about 400 calories.

I looked at the research on protein and there is no science to support that added protein helps you lose weight or that it helps you post-workout. The regular American diet ( if you are eating it) supplies more than enough protein.

That having been said, I can't help thinking that more protein in my gut helps me feel full and keeps me from eating more -- just based on personal observation. Might be psychological. I also figure, if I"m eating protein, I'm not eating fat.
  • PuddinPop1
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein and 100% Casein Protein. I have a protein shake after I work out and sometimes have Casein shake in the evening before bed as it a slower absobring protein. Sometimes I just add ice and water and throw it into a blender. Other times I'll add a banana or other fruit and make a smoothie. Optimum nutrition make a good protien bar...Whey Crisp bars..just another option if your tired of shakes!
  • xoveronica
    xoveronica Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was looking for post workout protein powders
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    oxoveronica

"Post-workout"-specific powders aren't necessary. You could simply get a protein blend that has whey, casein and egg whites such as TruNutrition Trutein and, if you like oatmeal, blend a cup with the protein shake. Alternatively, you could also purchase a bag of waxy maize starch since many "post-workout" powders use it as their primary carb source.

Also, you can have a protein shake [an hour before exercise] that includes slower absorbing protein, such as egg or casein, which will feed amino acids to muscle tissue for up to 3 and 7 hours, respectively. Then eat a prepared, balanced meal with protein, carbs and healthy fats following your workout. While your body starts the digestion process of the meal, it is still being fed the stream of aminos from egg and casein proteins.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been using Body Fortress for a little while now, because I was told I should be taking something after strength-training workouts. I have been using the vanilla, and it tastes fine. I don't know if it's helping or not yet since I haven't been using it long, but we'll see soon enough I suppose. I also bought some chocolate, but I haven't tried it yet. It's been on sale at Walgreen's for about $15 for the big tub.

ETA: Another reason I do this is because I really don't seem to get enough protein in my diet.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate. Its dang tasty stuff.

I use the same stuff!
  • SpencerKent
    Options
    You could always try The Organic Whey protein, which is what I use. 100% USDA certified organic and no GMOs or additives. IMO a good alternative to a ton of the chemical filled ones on the market: www.theorganicwhey.com
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    To be clear, whey protein (or any other protein powder) is not some magical weight-loss or "tone-up" elixir. Just another way to get your protein intake up. No different than piece of chicken or a couple of eggs.

I use Body Fortress Advanced Whey Isolate in Vanilla creme. About 130 c/30 g protein/2 g fat/2 g carbs. It tastes good when I blend it with soy milk, and frozen fruit. Yummy.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later