Wy do I get hungry after ratting breakfast?

Options
Just realized a typo in title, i meant "eatting breakfast," not "ratting." ipad keyboard is not my favourite.

So I have breakfast around 7:30 am, then I hit traffic and start working at 9:00 am, yet by 9:30 I will feel hungry.

I just ignore it and think that eating anything will gain me extra weight and I don't have the time to eat any way. I will usually wait until 1:00 pm to get lunch. They say breakfast is the most important and can help you lose weight, but why do I still get hungry and wanting to consume more food?

Replies

• shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a very big breakfast? Maybe you should try having a lighter one and then having a snack at around 9?
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too, so that's why I don't bother anymore.

I find it easier to control my eating thought the rest of the day if I don't start early. Contrary to popular belief, the world won't stop turning if you don't eat breakfast, and it certainly hasn't stopped me from losing weight!
  • Tulipmelody
    Options
    My breakfast is not heavy at all because it will make me feel sleepy. I was actually wonder if I should eat more heavier...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Have a piece of fruit like an apple or a banana, the reason is breakfast starts up your metabolism and gets it going ...So now that you have this thing blasting at full speed it wants more ..... also no idea what you have for breakfast but seems like it's something lite

I eat 6-7 hard boiled egg whites by 7:30
    by like 9:30-10 a apple or a banana
    then lunch 12-1
    then something again around 2-3 (normally the opposite of what ever I had at 10 if I had a apple then I'm having a banana at this time)

Keep your metabolisim going constantly with good choices and you'll lose weight allot faster good luck hope this helps a bit ...
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Try having a low GI breakfast, less carbohydrate, sugar, this will not give you an insulin spike and so make you feel hungry. No expert but it works for me.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    Try to eat a large breakfast. Lots of protein to keep you full. Also, you shouldn't go 6 hours without eating. You are depriving your body which slows down your metabolism :) And if you eat at 7:30am, you should be having a snack around 10-10:30am, and then your lunch around 1pm like normal. Every 2 1/2 to 3 hours is ideal :D
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I find it easier to control my eating thought the rest of the day if I don't start early. Contrary to popular belief, the world won't stop turning if you don't eat breakfast, and it certainly hasn't stopped me from losing weight!

Gotta agree with you on this one, at least for me. I have coffee and sometimes a piece of fruit for breakfast. I don't get hungry until lunch time. I think we are all just different in what we need and don't all fit into the tidy box society has made for us. I need no breakfast, a small lunch and then a big dinner and I don't ever go to bed hungry. But on days where I start with some type of real breakfast, it's a struggle to get through the day cause I'm starving. Odd.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do agree that when I skip breaky, I can go a lot longer before I start to get hungry. But then I realised that the reason I get more hungry if I DO eat breaky is that it kick starts my metabolism for the day. By skipping breaky, you are sending your body into "survival" mode before the day has even started, so it will try to conserve any energy it has and not burn any calories at all. I have a cup of high fibre cereal, 1 cup of low-fat milk, with a smal banana at around 6:30am, then I have some strawberries and watermelon around 10:30am, then lunch at 1pm. For the first few weeks of eating breaky I was STARVING by 8:30am, but after a while your body adjusts and you don't feel so hungry :)
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Try having a low GI breakfast, less carbohydrate, sugar, this will not give you an insulin spike and so make you feel hungry. No expert but it works for me.
    Love this!!

This is what I do.
    On days when I know lunch is going to be late, I eat low GI. Im a savoury breakfaster, so scrambled eggs, tomatoes and beans work for me. No bread.
    But porridge works for a lot of people.
  • Tulipmelody
    Options
    What is "GI?" what is low "GI" food?
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Glycemic Index

It's basically a guide to how quick foods release sugar into your system. A lower GI food will release slowly therefore keeping you fuller longer and not creating an "insulin spike". When these happen, you have a crash again a couple of hours later and feel hungry again.
    Example of high GI food are white bread (and most refined carbs)
    Low GI foods are things like oatmeal, veg, eggs etc
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me:

Breakfast: After working out around 7.00 I have a protein shake and then around 8.00 after showering and dressing I eat some yoghurt with muesli. Together this is about 450 kcal's.
    11.00 snack around 100-150 kcal's like knäckebröd with peanutbutter
    12.30 lunch: a 200-300 kcal salad
    16.00 snack
    18.30 dinner anything between 450-700

I usually only eat my exercise calories only partially and never feel hungry!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i dont know how anyone is commenting on what you should do , when no one can see your diary & what you actually eat.

I can tell you to stay away from sweets breakfast and have something full of fiber to help you stay fuller longer..

Also, i keep apples with me. They are great snacks, most under 100 calories and will help keep you full.

Good luck! =)

Edited to say im on less than 1200 calorie diet per my doctor, im never hungry. and if you look at my diary, please look before the past 7 days.. i had a death in the family, along with some other issues that didnt allow me to eat at home, however, you will see i only went over 2 days in the last 14.)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

great article

you may want to start skipping your breakfast or have your breakfast a bit later, having it first thing in the morning does not work for many people

and forget starvation and slowing down methabolism crap, those are myths that has been debunked long time ago. as long as you eat adequate amount of food, even if it's once per day, your metabolism is not affected
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    what are you having for breakfast? and also with these low calorie plans were on its better to eat 5-6 times a day.. 730-1:00 is too many hours w/out food.. almost 6hrs... I eat breakfast around 9 then snack at 11 ish and lunch by 2...and higher protein breakfast helps hunger too! egg whites/veggies.. or kashi high fiber/protein cereal w/almond milk.. (i just discovered i love almond milk and only 40 cals a cup!!! lol.. love that..
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Glycemic Index

It's basically a guide to how quick foods release sugar into your system. A lower GI food will release slowly therefore keeping you fuller longer and not creating an "insulin spike". When these happen, you have a crash again a couple of hours later and feel hungry again.
    Example of high GI food are white bread (and most refined carbs)
    Low GI foods are things like oatmeal, veg, eggs etc

Thank you for putting it better than me. (too early in the morning at least that is my excuse)

just type GI foods into a web search and get a listing of the GI Index number for loads of foods. and then stick with those with an index below 40 ish. this can lead to smaller portions as you feel fuller for longer.
  • madmish00
    Options
    My partner jokes that I must have a worm.

I wake up ravenous in a morning and eat a decent breakfast usually consisting of boiled eggs, peanut butter on wholewheat toast and a banana or low sugar wholegrain cereal with natural yoghurt and mixed berries. I eat this at about 7.45am and by 9.30 I am hungry again.

My partner on the other hand leaves for work at 8am having eaten no breakfast and often doesn't have lunch until 2pm.

I think it is different for different people but I would definitely say if your overall goal is weight loss then eating breakfast and having healthy snacks through the day is definitely the way to go.

I generally have some fruit at about 10am or rye bread with low fat cheese to perk me up until lunch.
  • AshleyNicolexo_
    Options
    eating breakfast boosts your metabolism. that's why you're hungry. you're supposed to eat 6 small meals a day. if you're hungry, eat a healthy snack.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Ditto.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    eating breakfast boosts your metabolism. that's why you're hungry. you're supposed to eat 6 small meals a day. if you're hungry, eat a healthy snack.

Another diet myth perpetuated.