WeightWatchers Online. Does it really work?

Options

Replies

• TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I signed up for WW's 3 years ago and lost about 13 lbs in 2 months, but I quit.

I went back about 2 months ago for online only and very quickly figured out it wasn't going to work for me this time around.

1) There's the whole point conversion thing. I don't want to have to put in 4 different numbers just to figure out how many points for one serving. I needed something more cut & dry. Simple is best (for me) so I stayed here & cancelled WW's.

2) There's really not a whole lot of support on the community message boards. I found a lot of the message boards to be catty & juvenile, even when in regards to a topic posted about weight loss/nutrition/exercise, etc.

3) MFP is free. Seriously, try to beat that.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have used Weight Watcher on-line and the only difference between MFP and them is WW charges you a monthly fee. :flowerforyou:
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was doing WW online. The price is $17.95 each month. I stopped using it because I hated figuring out points. Yes they have a new points plus calculator, but it still is a pain in the butt to enter in fat, fiber, protein and carbs to end up with the correct points. They are revamping the points plus again because people are getting frustrated with little to no weight loss. The biggest problem is free fruit and veggies. People are eating too much fruit. They forget that fruit has calories. You can use the community even if you don't subscribe. One other thing: Those commercials showing Jennifer Hudson slimmed down are a farce. She lost her weight on the old points system. The old points system you had less points and fruit and veggies weren't free.
  • simplycee
    Options
    I use WW and MFP. I actually like going to the meetings and the support and accountability that goes with getting on the scale. It is worth it for me. To date I have lost 58 pounds. Since my insurance pays for WW I figured I would take advantage of the benefit.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have done ww a few times and done well. Honestly I looked at joining online yesterday and didnt because I realized I get the same things here for free. Like others have already said, the community there isnt very nice.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Going to sound like a broken record...Yes it works, but it's the same as this site. I think it 's a little more of a hassle. You can't just look at somethings calories, you also have to convert it to points. The in person meetings may be more tailored to you, but the online version is just like here. Asks you current weight, goal weight, and those type questions to come up with your plan. Stay on here and save the money!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I lost some weight on WW too, but I prefer looking at both the calories and the ingredients in food without having to rely on a secret formula to figure out a food's "points".
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The newest WW program encourages veggie and fruit consumption by making them 'free' foods. Of course, all calories count including these, but I understand what they are trying to do.

I would say this site is better because there are no gimmicks. Still, I think that you could use the WW idea of eating lots of veggies and fruits (but counting them). They really help fill you up and get all those micronutrients you need to keep the cravings at bay.
  • mysteriousmillie
    Options
    I'm a bit late posting this reply really, but I started WW online in 2 January (although signed up before that date just didn't do anything with) and so far am 9lbs down which I am really happy about. Have now cancelled my subscription as tis £10.95 per month but I have found an app that does the same for £2.99. HOWEVER, I have recently joined this amazing website, so that I could find NI to convert to points should I need it.

But I decided to do an experiment for the past 2 days of comparing my daily points used compared to my calories consumed - both days I have used my full quota of points but have been 400-300 cals below what I should be consuming according to MFP - which I thought was extremely interesting - I guess its telling me that I should up my intake of veggies and fruit - neither of which I am brilliant with all of the time. I might do must MFP next week and compare a week on MFP with a week on WW - and make note of any differences in terms of weight loss, energy levels etc etc.
  • hannata86
    Options
    I'm from the UK, our points plan vary slightly but the theory is the same... on the older plan it was based on cals/s fat and I had great successes with it, but the newer Propoints (carbs, fat, fibre, protein) was a complete bomb for me.

If you want more info on it you should scoot over to the minimins forum http://www.minimins.com/weight-watchers/ there are lots of helpful members there on weightwatchers. :)
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have now cancelled my subscription as tis £10.95 per month but I have found an app that does the same for £2.99.

Which app?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your profile picture and was about to comment that you certainly didn't look like you needed either weightwatchers or a meal replacement system. Then I looked at your profile and we are a very similar weight and build going from your measurements so that promptly made me shut up hahaha.

Anyway, to WW. Yes I have tried the online version and personally I didn't take to it. I felt like for what I was paying I didnt get enough back and it didn't motivate me at all. It may possibly of been that I wasn't in the right mind set at the time, i'm not sure. But I feel like as others have said, you get far more from MFP and it's all free!!
  • dat1girl4u
    Options
    The iphone app i use is called MyScorePlus for only $2.99.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    <snip> I stopped weight watchers because I couldn't afford it anymore and this site has completely taken its place.

Me too!

Save your money - use this site instead! :bigsmile:
  • sillygoose03
    Options
    Stay with MFP and save yourself money. I did WW but attended the meetings. I used their e-tools to track my food and tried joining in on the forums but it's hard to break through the 'clicks'. I'd post questions and would rarely get responses. I think the MFP members are much for friendly, much more willing to answer questions/offer advice, etc. As soon as I found MFP, I cancelled my WW membership.
  • hanababe
    hanababe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the comments. Weight Watchers does work, but it is very similar to just using MFP for free. Going to WW meetings were worth it for the encouragement and knowledge, but were expensive.
  • tinselqueen
    tinselqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I've been a yo yo dieter all my life I could answer questions on Mastermind about diets, but I'm hopeless around temptation. So I'm giving MFP a go. I have no interest in shopping for clothes when I'm overweight (maybe not such a bad thing)!. So here we go again. I've got about 30 lbs to lose. :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I used them most of my life and even worked for them. I wouldn't bother. This is free and teaches you to eat and get fit in a healhier manner. They tell you to eat too low cal. Never going back.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers and Lite''n'Easy and Jenny Craig are all scams imo. for one thing they dont offer customized meals to your requirements least not that i've seen, and the meals are expensive and are no different to the stuff you can buy in the supermarkets which contain alot of sodium and very little meat and substance.

Sure they'll work if you watch what you are consuming, but there secret is they want you to stay fat or atleat keep craving there products so they can make more money.

Save your time and money and work it out yourself, it's not rocket science. Calories in vs Calories burned, try to keep everything in moderation and don't overdo exercise or undereat too often.
  • Brainless64
    Brainless64 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have actually gone to Weight Watchers and used Weight Watchers online. Sorry to say, it is a lot like this site. You still have to keep up with amounts of foods you eat, you still have to track your food, and you still have to decide what you will and will not eat. The only difference is that instead of calling it what it is--calorie counting--you count points. I will say that the work has been done for you as to which foods are healthier than others because in the point system, carbs, fat and protein and fiber have all been taken into account. If I had to choose, I'd go to the actual meetings, they're much better for support and encouragement than the online version.

Personally, I find MFP to be a lot easier to use. There are more exercises to track from and the best part is that you get to use it for free!

Exactly this:

WW covers the real issue (calories) with a layer of mystique/simplicity (depending on your view), but it all comes down to eating less fuel, than your body needs. I have lost with WW in the past, but I liked the meetings and public weighing in, which can be motivating to stay on track, or be demorolising depending on how you feel. For on-line DIY dieting MFP every time, especially as it's free. I can't afford/justify the cost of WW meetings.