Big, bulky upper thighs from stationary bike!

Options
Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum and I still don't know much about this world but, I've got this problem with my daily workout routine that's really been stressing me.
I workout for 40/50 mins a day, every day on a stationary bike in order to burn some extra calories. But now I've noticed that this kinda obsessive routine made me build up muscle, and now I'm becoming self conscious of my bulky upper thighs, even more than I was with my old, flabby chubby thighs :( now, is there a way to 'slim down', reduce or something, this muscle?
Please help me because this is really becoming a problem :(
thank you xx

Replies

• med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    if you want leaner thighs do things such as running (treadmill) no incline ;) tones and gets rid of fat but doesnt bulk up.. why do you think marathon runners are so lean ? :P
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You cant slim down a muscle. You cant make muscle look "long and lean".
    All you can do it lose bodyfat. :wink:

edit: 200% positive you are NOT building any muscle, not a single gram on your 800 calorie diet. It just doent work that way.
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Are they really that bad, or is the new muscle definition just so different from what you had before?
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought the stationary bike would bulk you up too much. Looking at someone like Victoria Pendleton who's going to train on a bike for much longer than an hour every day and she doesn't have bulky thighs. Perhaps if you lower your resistance and go faster it might help, but I'd also recommend measurng your thighs to make sure that its a genuine concern rather than your brain messing with you. Whenever I have a "fat day" and think I look awful I get out the tape measure and it always tells me that its my imagination playing tricks on me
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Please, please seek help. Eating 800 calories a day + burning 1000 calories a day + your tumblr account = you are probably not bulky, just have some body image issues coupled with an eating disorder. You said you work out obsessively and that in itself is worrying. I sincerely hope you find someone to talk to about this. Toning to the bone is not healthy.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Please, please seek help. Eating 800 calories a day + burning 1000 calories a day + your tumblr account = you are probably not bulky, just have some body image issues coupled with an eating disorder. You said you work out obsessively and that in itself is worrying. I sincerely hope you find someone to talk to about this. Toning to the bone is not healthy.

^^THIS^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i looked through your diary, and on a day that you ate 800 calories, burnt off 1244 you wrote 'Ew I binged so ****ing much today :( It was my aunt's birthday and I ate like 5 almond shorbreads :( I'm such a walking failure'

please get help
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't understand the problem...

squat.jpg
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are suffering from an ED.

Please seek help.

Hug
  • twonkieone
    Options
    i spin 4-6 times a week for 60-120 minutes ... do heavy climbs, sprints, jumps..... and have no build up ... in fact, bikers typically have very lean legs (not me ... short and square but nothing jiggles!) look at all the pros -- yes they are muscles but not bulky. i'd go for measurements and be sure you are eating enough. spinning burns through hundreds of calories if you are going at a moderate/heavy pace. your diet - based on what you have posted - is nowhere near enough food to stay in the healthy range for your exercise.
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I agree, you need to talk with someone about potentially having an eating disorder. I promise you, help is out there, and you will be very happy that you got it in the long run.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You are a woman in a calorie deficit doing moderate cardio,

You have NOT built any appreciable muscle.

More likely is your low level of bodyfat is simply revealing the underlying muscle you had anyway.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Let's see. post a pic or two. I'm sure it is muscle definition that has you concerned. Your body will adapt to whatever you are doing so you might build some muscle in your quads but I also bet it is beautiful
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above, I looked at your Diary and you need to think about seeking help!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you arent really fueling your body enough for the workouts that youve been doing so probably whatever you are eating is being stored as fat because youre, well, starving yourself and exercising a lot so your body is under a considerable amount of stress.

plus youre hardly eating any protein so i am not surprised youre having this problem......you need to eat to look good. youre exercising almost all of your calories off and making diary notes saying that you feel like a failure if you eat 800 calories. this isnt healthy behavior for your mind OR body. please reconsider what youve been doing? your hair might start falling out </3

****edit: also, dont seek out help here if youre going to get mad about it on your tumblr.*****
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You could post your thigh measurement, I'm absolutely sure I could direct some reality your way by comparing it with mine which would be corsiderably larger! I'm almost positive that they would be neither bulky or horrible.

Seriously though, 800 cals a day is far far too low, please take the advice already been given. People here are only looking out for your best interests x
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Honey, seek professional help. You are killing yourself right now.
  • jimzisa
    jimzisa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I ride 5 - 10 hours a week - that's my endurance base - and while I notice some growth, I keep the bulk away by (1) stretching every single leg muscle I can hit thoroughly before AND after every ride, (2) a couple of times a week, I throw in a run as workouk # 2. The run works musckes, including core, that cycling alone doesn't hit and your riding is better for it, and, finally (3) vary what you're riding. Some days, ride longer at lighter resistance, other days, throw in some hills or intervals.