Fish recipes please!!! Anyone :)

Options

Replies

• SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you these all sound good! In your opinion what is the least fishy tasting fish? What should be my beginner fish lol. Does anyone know any Cajun recipes? I love love love Cajun ❤
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This one was awesome, I added 1/2 cup quinoa to my salad to bulk it up a bit and doubled the tomatoes. I did the same thing a week later but with canned crab meat sans the horseradish and that was also tasty.
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/shrimp-tomato-horseradish-salsa-10000001085450/index.html
  • carrietrost1
    Options
    I make a black bean tilapia that is totally awesome!! Not fishy at all. You just put some olive oil in a pan and heat it up. Then take your pieces of tilapia and lightly put them in flour that you have seasoned with salt and pepper. They should just have a very light coat of the flour on them. Then you pan sear them. Flip them over after about 5-7 minutes. Cook the other side until they start to flake a little. Then put your favorite black bean salsa on top to heat it up and to give the fish the flavor of the back bean salsa. It is wonderful. I have a great black bean salsa recipe if you want it too!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Get a cast iron skillet...coat it with some olive oil, minced garilic, and onion. Dice up a tomato and some aritichokes...take a piece of fish (i usually go with salmon, haddock, grouper, or snapper). Once the garlic and onion start to simmer thrw the fish on the skillet and add the tomatoe and aritichokes. Cook ths fish about four to five minutes a side (more if it is thicker) and then serve with the tomatoe and aritichokes...
  • bird5027
    bird5027 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

Talapia Filets
    2-3 garlic cloves chopped
    1 Medium onion sliced
    1 Bell pepper sliced
    2-4 tbsp EVOO (Depending on the amount of filets)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Old Bay Seasoning
    Non-stick Cooking Spray

Spray a deep baking dish or cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place Filets in a single layer on sheet. Evenly distribute onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and Old Bay Seasoning (or to your liking). Drizzle with olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 min or until fish is tender and flakes with a fork.

I have cooked this a bunch of times for my family and the kids normally did not like the taste of fish either but they love this one. I sometimes add shrimp in with this recipe. Give it a try.
  • amy4586
    amy4586 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me this recipe and I LOVE it!

(you can use as much fish as you want but, I make it with one filet)

2 Tilapia Filets
    1 box couscous (I really like near east garlic/herb)
    frozen spinach (optional)
    foil
    condensed cream of coconut
    fresh ginger

Easy peasy:
    Take one box defrosted spinach, split between 2 foils (which you turn into a little pack for cooking, so make sure you use a long enough piece)
    Top with 1/2 box of couscous and sprinkle about 1/2 the pouch into each foil packet
    Put Tilapia on top
    Add 2 tbsp (or more to taste) of coconut cream
    Fesh ginger to taste.
    Seal tightly in foil

Bake on 350 for about 35-40 mins
    **If you don't use spinach add about 1/4 cup of water to tin foil packet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I just take sole fillets place them in a oven safe pan pour some lemon juice over it, and grate some pepper on it, then bake until it flakes easily. Quick and easy.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Chicago!
    Thanks for sharing.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sardines marinating in lemon and chilli, then grilled until slightly charred are gorgeous.

I'm always a big fan of kedgeree (rice, fish, egg, spices) and fish pie.

Fish, egg and spinach go beautifully together.

Grilled bream with clams and samphire and new pototoes are a great meal. Make a light broth with the clams and you've got heaven on a plate.

Mussels are great with tomatoes and chilli.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Two easy ideas: )1) Morey's Wild Salmon ...already marinated & packaged in single filets. Just pop in the oven and bake for 30 min.
    (2) Crab stuffed flounder... same thing: already prepared & packaged in single filets and ready to bake. I believe Trader Joe's carries it. We get ours from Five Star.

Both of these dishes have a high fat percentage so eat sparingly.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I make fish all the time and when I have a few moments to spare I will come back on post some recipes. But be warned newbies, salmon is not a good starter fish. It took me years of fish eating to come around to enjoying it. The tame least fishy are the simple white fish like orange roughie, tilapia, Pollack, flounder & swai. Avoid the sport fish like bass & trout.

For the person wanting Cajun, the "Cajun Sprinkles" by Everson you can order online or have applied at Kroger are awesome.
    More later.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Two easy ideas: )1) Morey's Wild Salmon ...already marinated & packaged in single filets. Just pop in the oven and bake for 30 min.
    (2) Crab stuffed flounder... same thing: already prepared & packaged in single filets and ready to bake. I believe Trader Joe's carries it. We get ours from Five Star.

Both of these dishes have a high fat percentage so eat sparingly.

I agree on Morey's. It is awesome & if you are a fish newbie & going to try salmon, it would be a good choice.
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of anything really "fishy" tasting but I absolutely love, shrimp, scallops, tilapia, mahi mahi, cod, haddock...pretty much any firm, mild white fish. Just about any seasoning you like works well with most of these too which makes preparation super easy. I just sprinkle on whatever I'm in the mood for; lemon pepper, bbq seasoning (yummy on shrimp), blackening spices, taco seasoning, garlic, fresh lemon/lime juice, Mrs. Dash...honestly just about anything but watch sodium if you need to. I like to use salt free seasoning blends most of the time.

One of my favorite ways to cook fish is to put a filet on a piece of foil, brush with a tiny bit of EVOO, sprinkle with italian seasoning, place a few thin slices of lemon on top of the fish, toss in a few grape tomatoes (they burst in the oven and add so much flavor to the fish) and fold the foil into a packet. Poke a few holes in the top with a fork so some steam can escape and bake for about 30 min at 350.

I also LOVE grilled/pan seared fish tacos with avocado, lettuce and a sauce of fat free greek yogurt, lime juice and fresh cilantro!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love fish, but I know alot of people don't. Here is a recipe we had this week that we all really loved. Spicy, and that helps hide the flavor of fish alittle I think. Also, I couldn't find jicama so I used red cabbage.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fiery-fish-tacos-with-crunchy-corn-salsa/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=fiery fish tacos&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Bake/broil whatever fresh fish is to your liking and experiment with different sauces. my favorite is basil pesto. Those bottled premade sauces by Iron Chef are ALL good, and I am very picky about those things. Look for them in the asian food section.
    Also mix a little soy sauce, rice vinegar and a drop of sesame oil together and whisk with brown sugar, molasses or honey for a bit of sweetess. Mince fresh ginger and garlic in it and yum. You can also replace the vinegar with fresh-squeezed line juice. Makes a great sauce for almost any fish.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I live on a coast in NE and I have to tell you that fresh fish doesn't smell. It's when it's older or has been processed, (manufacturers soak it in crap), that it gets fishy. I understand that people in the middle of the country can't go to a fresh fish store, so here's some ideas.

Scallops. The big ones (Sea Scallops) not the little ones. Make sure they are "dry pack" scallops. Some scallops are treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP) and are called "Wet Pack". Dry scallops cook up better, trust me so ask your supermarket fish guy for the dry pack. If they don't carry them have them order them for you. They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and relatively low in calories, they are an incredibly healthy source of protein and really easy to cook.

Heat a sauté pan on medium low to medium high heat. Add olive oil or margarine, to coat the pan, you can use Pam as well. Take the scallops and pat them dry with a paper towel. This is very important because if you don't dry them they won't caramelize and that's what you want on the outside. Place the scallops flat side down in the pan. Shake the pan so they don't stick. Cook without turning for 2 1/2 minutes or until the underside is browned, then flip and do the same on the other side. Remove from pan, they are done. Eat them plain, or put lemon juice, tomato sauce, or mix them in whatever you want. You won't be sorry.

Get the frozen shrimp and make shrimp cacciatore instead of chicken cacciatore. I made chicken scampi with mushrooms the other day and my family loved it. So mix up the proteins in your recipes.

I also will take white fish, (Cod, scrod, etc.), and poach it. Take onions and sauté until transparent on medium heat. Add garlic and stir for one minute more. Take fish and put it in the pan. Add 1/2 cup white cooking wine, splash of lemon, salt, pepper, a little parsley (dried or fresh), and cover the pan. Cook for seven minutes. This is a base recipe and is great on rice or pasta as is, but you can add salsa to this, or crushed tomatoes, and/or other veggies and serve over rice or pasta. You could use clam juice instead of the white wine as well.

Also, do the onion and garlic thing above but add one small stalk of celery and cook until onions are transparent. Add bottle of clam juice and a 1/2 cup white cooking wine to the pot, then put in little neck clams and mussels, (12 of each), and throw in about 12 shrimp. Cover and cook 10 minutes until all the shells are open. Again you can go white or red by adding salsa or crushed tomatoes.

I don't use drinking wine unless it's a chablis or something very light. The problem with using chardonneys, pinot grigios, etc. is that their flavor is so heavy that's all you'll taste in your dish. Lighter wines enhance the flavors of your food rather than covering them up, so when in doubt use the cooking wine.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Can someone pls post a good recipe for making fish tacos?
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Asian friend gave me this salmon recipe. One piece of salmon. Sprinkle w/ginger lemon pepper and tsp brown sugar. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Finish w/splash of lemon juice. So easy and good