ammonia smell during workout (walking with some running)?

Options
Is this "normal?" At first I thought is was my surroundings, then I realized that it was me......anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    during training for special ops many soldiers began to smell like amonia, from what I have been told it is the result of muscle burning up a very bad thing, but that only occured in us when we were seriously being put to the test, during the events where people are pushed to the absolute limit of the human body and come close to death
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    maybe you pee'd yourself a little.
  • vikingchix
    vikingchix Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    during training for special ops many soldiers began to smell like amonia, from what I have been told it is the result of muscle burning up a very bad thing, but that only occured in us when we were seriously being put to the test, during the events where people are pushed to the absolute limit of the human body and come close to death

Thanks....I know I am pushing myself, but nowhere near a dangerous level. I will go investigate on the web and see what I come up with!
  • dandaninc
    Options
    Could also be cat pee. I had a kitten piss in my gym bag without me knowing it and for months all I could smell was cat piss. I had no idea where it was coming from. STUPID KITTEN. :grumble:
  • vikingchix
    Options
    maybe you pee'd yourself a little.

ummmmm????? Nope :-) THAT I would remember
  • creature275
    Options

Thanks....I know I am pushing myself, but nowhere near a dangerous level. I will go investigate on the web and see what I come up with!

sounds good, I havnt ever really looked into it, in fact I kind of forgot about it because I havnt smelt that in years ill look into it as well
  • acep07
    Options
    check your running shoes! Mine smell like ammonia when ive used them lots :(
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Actually I believe it's from your body using to much proteing so it turns it into ammonia, and it comes out in your sweat.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have read that some people notice an ammonia smell when they don't know they are diabetic. I am not saying that is your case, but if it increases to noticing this when you are not exercising, see your doctor.

It could also be the toxins you are getting out of your system. Make sure you are getting enough water, too.
  • creature275
    Options
    Actually I believe it's from your body using to much proteing so it turns it into ammonia, and it comes out in your sweat.

if your body is using protein as an immediate energy source that is not a good thing, and also supports my original statement about burning up muscle, no matter what the amonia smell must be a bad thing...or who knows maybe its just something he ate that makes his sweat smell bad who knows, kindof like how asperagus makes piss smell terrible...idk this one gets the best of me
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I go through the same thing. As far as I have read about it so far, your pores and sweat glands are another way for your body to exrete waste (like urine) and it's waste coming out of your body through the sweat. That's why it smells kind of like urine coming out of your pores. It's a result of not drinking enough water. I had to REALLY up my water to get rid of it. I'm drinking anywhere from 10 to 14 cups of water a day. Seems to have done the trick.
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When too much nitrogen is present in your system, your body depends on the kidneys to process the excess nitrogen. This process creates urea, which can then be expelled through your urine. However, when there is too much for the kidneys to even process, then the excess nitrogen is secreted as ammonia through your sweat. When you exercise and sweat at a greater rate than normal, enough ammonia escapes for you to actually smell it.

To treat the ammonia smell in your sweat, switch your diet to consume more carbohydrates. Your body's first choice for energy is typically carbohydrates. When you consume enough carbohydrate sources, your body is less likely to use amino acids from protein to create energy, reducing the amount of nitrogen produced in your body. Choose complex carbohydrate sources such as legumes or whole grain breads or cereals.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Eating a small snack(carbs) before your workout? This article gives a good explanation. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    To treat the ammonia smell in your sweat, switch your diet to consume more carbohydrates.

Is the right answer....
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    asparagus pee is the worst! mine almost knocked me over the other night. then i woke up, did the elliptical without showering first (not sure that woulda made a difference) but my sweat stunk from the asparagus too. it was horrible and i almost had to stop my workout.

as for the op, a friend in college had an eating disorder and smelled horrible. i don't recall if it were ammonia or not, and certainly not saying you have an eating disorder, but i think that might support the muscle burning theory as stated above. go to your doc, make sure everything is ok.

edited for spelling
  • cleobi
    Options
    That used to happen to me when I was in elementary school and I danced continuously - so much more than I was used to - almost to exhaustion.
    Could never figure it out, but realized it must have something to do with pushing my body beyond what it was accustomed to.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    That smell is caused by nitrogen. It usually occurs when you have depleted glycogen and start using amino acids for energy. Here is a good explanation.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I to have read that the ammonia smell is due to muscle being broken down for energy, though I have no idea if it's true or not.
  • smaschin
    Options
    yes it is muscle or protein being used for fuel as a result of low glycogen or carb levels or running in very hot climate.

I used to get it a lot when running Ultraruns in South Florida and especially when low carbing.

Up your carbs and make sure you keep a check on your electrolytes.
  • vikingchix
    Options
    Looks like you all are right....My body is saying that it does not have enough carbs to support the activity. I really knocked back on my carbs....honestly, because I am a carb junkie....I really tried to cut out any refined carbs. No bread, pasta, potatoes.....It has been about two weeks. What I do eat every day is bananas....love them!

Will look into adding some healthy carbs and see if it goes away.

Thanks all....hey....at least I know that my body is actually needing to burn fuel!