How do you make a good cup of coffee?

Options
I'm trying to cut the calories, but I so love the creamy and sweet cup of coffee. :-(

Replies

• CoachAnnika
    CoachAnnika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe to make my own and it is clean :)

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-coffee-creamer/
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    black with silk unsweetened almond milk and 0 cal sweetner
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You will pry my coffee with sugar and cream out of my cold dead hands. Although lately I've been using Natural Bliss and it's pretty good.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I like to make espresso in my coffee maker (http://cafebustelo.com/ is my favorite brand and I get it at walmart) I mix about 3 T regular coffee (dark roast like maxwell house) with 2T espresso and water to make a pot...

then I make it up to take to work in a liter bottle... (I work 12 hour shifts... overnight... I will NOT give up my coffee!!! LOL)

so sometimes I use different stuff... I have a lot of torani sugar free syrups (http://www.torani.com/ which incidentally I buy at walmart) ... I just mix whatever flavor I want... french vanilla (hazelnut and caramel) turtle (caramel and chocolate and hazelnut) ginger bread (cinnamon and ginger spice) ... I just mix them until I get a combination I like... I have little shot glasses that I measure in... and in a liter of coffee I use about 1.5 shotglasses of flavor...

I also like to get silk lite...

I use splenda or sweetnlow... sometimes I use a tablespoon or two of hot chocolate (sometimes sugar free sometimes not depending on what I have available)

my coffee usually works out to around 100 calories for a liter (which I drink over the course of the day... I start with it hot then after I drink some I put it on ice...)

using hot chocolate can make it creamier... it is what coffee shops use to make a "mocha" (usually)...
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I should add that I worked my way through college as a barrista... the trick is to make sure you start with a good quality well brewed coffee... then you can add less "stuff" and still have good taste :)
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    If you miss the sweet stuff try the sugar free syrups. Ive used it in both drip coffee or my expresso. With the expresso maker you can make your own foamy milk too (i use almond milk to be the healthiest). Plenty of splenda and its nice and sweet.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of things I will compromise but I draw the line when it comes to my morning coffee... I drink a travel mug size Keurig coffee using Coffee People Donut Shop brand with 2 scoops of Domino's Pure cane sugar and 2 Tbps. of International Delights Hershey's Chocolate and Caramel Creamer.. It is 110 calories that I am not willing to sacrifice... lol Best of Luck...
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I mix about a serving of Maxwell House French Vanilla (1 1/3 tbsp) with about 12-16oz of black coffee. Gives more caffeine since there's instant coffee in the French Vanilla but I think of it as a home-made cappuccino and its about 60cal + the coffee.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Buy better coffee. Cheap coffee is bitter, good coffee isn't
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    These are some great options to try! Thanks!
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use gavalia coffee in a French press and add coconut milk as my creamer. The better the quality coffee and coconut milk the better. For sweet touch you could add vanilla stevia extract.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My 16 oz latte has only 125 calories. I use skim milk and a tsp of sugar. I use a milk frother to get the milk foamy.
    It uses 1 cup of skim milk with 4 oz of espresso. It is not the same as Starbucks but close enough.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

Personally I like New Mexico Pinon coffee, it has a mild flavor.

Or like Maria suggests, make it a latte or cafe au lait if you really don't like it black. That way you get nutrition from the skim milk (better than creamer, which is basically just fat) and you're not drinking straight black coffee.