C25K - anyone doing it or have done it?

Options

Replies

• freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would really like to try it. Do we train 3 days a week, for 9 weeks?

Basically yes, but if it takes you longer that is ok also. Some folks find a certain week harder then others, so they repeat it or do 1 extra session from that week

http://freew67.blogspot.com/.
  • JustSteph81
    JustSteph81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks freew67. I am not a runner, but have an urge to try it.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im not a runner either. :) Slow and steady is my lone advice when you start. Speed comes from months of training, not days. You and your legs will thank me later. lol

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you guys prefer doing the program on a treadmill or on flat ground outside??

have run treadmill before, will probably have to shift back to it in a few months (unless the winter is kind again) Really enjoy being outside, I go to the high school track which is much easier on the knees, the town I live in justrecently re-did the sidwalks so it is a lot less challenging dodging the low and hit points that used to be there.

I am on week 3 day 2 is next on Wednesday, looking forward to it!
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am & love it - there's a group too (somewhere around here). I'm on week 5, day 3! I psyche myself out if I look ahead but doing pretty good! Signing up for a mudder run and excited about every step on my journey to a tri.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I decided I would start it the Monday after I got back from my holiday - which is tomorrow!

But motivation is a real struggle - Here's hoping I can drag my *kitten* out the door for once!

Does anyone here have tips on motivation?

And would you recommend doing it early morning or late at night? (I don't really want to go out during the main part of the day)

I have a cup of coffee and get running before my brain can say no. I also look at a lot of ripped bodies to remind myself I can make my body go. Oh and good music helps too.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started today. We want to do a runDisney 10 milers in September 2013.

We're trying to figure when to do the two runs during the week. The options are:
    1. run before work = 5:00am
    2. run when we both get home from work = 6:30'ish
    3. run after dinner has had some time to digest = 8:30'ish

Option 1 will just never happen. Other than getting to he airport, there is nothing that is worth getting out of bed at 4:30am for. I am leaning towards #2, get home, get it done, then relax. Plus we will still have daylight for another month and a half at that time. Hubby suggested #3. I don't much like this one, either. lol
  • melfassa
    Options
    OMG, I just started it, Week 1, Day 1. I thought i wasn't going to make it. I was doing it on treadmill, accidentally hit the emergency stop button mid-way during a walk period and thought....i just can't go on...but i cranked that sucker back up and recovered. My chest was burning so bad...but I did it! Dread day 2, but I'm in it now. Does anyone know the proper breathing techniques? Breath in thru nose, out thru mouth? or other way around? I was a bloody mess ...want to start on controlling my breathing a bit. My sincerest admiration to those runners out there!! I hope someday to be one!!:smile:
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start Week 4! I love it!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 day1 on Saturday, planning on doing day 2 later today.

I'm a little worried about my knees - so I'm going to repeat week1 until I feel ready to tackle week 2, and listen carefully to my body's cues.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this. I printed out the info from the website this week. I don't know if I should do that or do what I was doing, which is walk 2-3 laps (1/4 mile each lap) then jog one, then walk etc. The C25K seems to be a lot to remember so I'm thinking I should just wing it. Not sure what might be better.
    Do you have android or iphone? I use the Couch to 5K Mobile App by Active.com on my phone.
  • middalaura
    Options
    I am on week 7 day 3, feel really good about completing this so far. I have several friends that have started using it too
  • wymanic
    wymanic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this. I printed out the info from the website this week. I don't know if I should do that or do what I was doing, which is walk 2-3 laps (1/4 mile each lap) then jog one, then walk etc. The C25K seems to be a lot to remember so I'm thinking I should just wing it. Not sure what might be better.

You can get it for free on itunes from the UK's National Heathcare Service--comes with music and all instructions.
  • middalaura
    Options
    Just make yourself do it, once you complete one day you will be motivated or challenged to see if you can do the next
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad and did this on a treadmill at the gym. A few days ago I ran my first 5K in addition to running outside for the first time. I can't believe what I was missing! It was a beautiful morning, and the sound of other runners is really something else!
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just did Week 3 day 1 today, so far loving it!! Having an app for it is just pure awesomeness!!!
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Starting week 5 tomorrow. Not going to lie, a bit nervous about Day 3-20 min!!!! I guess we'll see.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Starting week 4 tomorrow. I did week three in three days..........i just couldn't take a day off i was loving it so much!!! I have never been a runner and that is why i wanted to achieve this goal. Who knew i would fall in love with it? I turn on the app, crank my tunes and i get time to myself!! I am mentally prepared for the fact that i may have to repeat some weeks in order to advance, but so far so good. IM ADDICTED!!!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with week #7. You are supposed to do a 5 minute warm-up, 25 minutes run, 5 minute cool-down. I end up walking approx. 3 minutes in the middle of the run....the start running again!

Am gonna continue repeating week 7 until I can run it straight through (that's what I had read was advised before)....still burn approx. 350 calories either way!

Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I started going running/jogging without C25K, I got up to 25mins, then heard about the programme and did up to week 5, while the podcasts are good I found it too easy after having already been running for 3 months. So I ditched it. I went for my first 66 minute run this evening (just under 5.75 miles, nearly 10k).

It's great if you have never ran though, if only I had known about it 3 months ago...

Just need to improve my speed now.