Just bought and used a Polar ft7 (womens)

Options
I am a little bit shocked, my polar ft7 shows that I burned MORE calories than the treadmill showed. Mind you, the treadmill I use is a cheap one without HRM built in. That is why I wanted to get the polar ft7 HRM. I honestly thought the number that the treadmill was giving me was over the actual amount of cals burned, but now I see the cals I was burning was actually more than I had thought.

Good to know... has anyone else had this happen to them?

Replies

• dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ok, nothing :(
  • underthecherrytree
    Options
    Me! My treadmill told me that I burned 213 calories walking 20 minutes uphill but my FT7 told me I burned 638.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Me! My treadmill told me that I burned 213 calories walking 20 minutes uphill but my FT7 told me I burned 638.

Wow. I am not sure I would trust that heart rate monitor. I burn 600 calories in 60 minutes of running hills. It sounds like the treadmill is more on target, sorry to say.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    An HRM needs to be programmed accurately for your personal level of fitness, age, weight, etc. You should determine your true resting heartrate... wear it to bed and see just how low it gets when you lay there peacefully resting for 30 minutes. Push yourself and know what your true upper capacity is or use the default for your age (but sometimes that can be too high if you're really out of shape or too low if you're really in shape). Then make sure that your ranges are programmed accurately for your ACTUAL fitness level. If you just took it out of the box and turned it on, it may not be set for *you*. When I first started working out, I got much higher calorie readings for my workouts. As I've become more fit, I now have much lower ones and have to work harder and harder for that burn.