cardio-vs-weights which is better for weight loss??

Options
Hello,
I am very overweight, obese, six weeks into a four day week weight lifting and cardio. I am 49 yr old female. From what I have read women as myself, over 40 do not loose weight so much from cardio as weight training.

I also had read that for my body I should have my heart rate at around 130.
I just as recent got myself from a walk on the treadmill to a jog on and off durring a 30 minute walk. In six weeks I have lost two inches in my waste and two in my hips. No weight loss in six weeks.

So question is, for my age, 49 yrs,BMR 1786.9, BMI 41.88 what burns more calories, should I work on getting more walking time, running, eliptical? I am increasing my weights almost weekly, as well as ab crunches. Ohh and I keep my carlorie intake around 1780, protein intake at 180 g.
Thank you all for your help and information. I really do appreciate mfp and all the members!!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Cardio is an optional tool to help create it, or you can use diet alone.

On the other hand, lifting weights is needed if you want to look good when the fat is gone.

Check this for tons of info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss cardio typically burns more calories but strength is also critical in terms of body composition.

In terms of heart rate are you referring to your fat burning zone? Forget you even heard that term, the fat burning zone is low intensity cardio that does burn more calories from fat as fuel but, overall, burns far fewer calories than exercising at a higher intensity.

Running or elliptical the choice is yours (do the one you enjoy more -you're more likely to stay with it) If you haven't done so already get yourself a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Do both. With Cardio and calorie deficit you will lose weight but with weight training you will shape up. When you have a lot of weight to lose, they will work nicely in conjunction with each other. When you get close to goal, you will be able to to step up the weights to start shaping & toning your body. Good luck!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Weight training will also help you increase your muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    If it's one-or-the-other focus on Cardio till lost more weight. If meeting your cardio goals then follow it up with some weighs.

Quite right about the 'fat burn' mode you hear about.... is rubbish and ignore it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    A combination of strength training and cardio will get you good results, along with a healthy calorie deficit. I've gotten to where I'm at with mostly strength training, some cardio, and an overall healthy diet at the proper deficit for my needs.

Find exercises in both categories that you enjoy and you'll be able to stick with it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    In regards to weight loss, as long as it burns calories it is good.

Cardio vs. resistance training is the wrong way to look at it.

They serve completely different functions when it comes to improving your overall fitness level. You need both.

Cardio improves your efficiency of using oxygen and builds your stamina/endurance. It burns more calories while you are actually doing it. It does not do much though to actually retain muscle tissue, generally speaking. Think marathoner's build for the extreme example.

Resistance training doesn't necessarily burn as many calories as cardio for the equal amount of time actually performed. BUT, it does an icredible job of promoting lean tissue retention if not actual growth. It builds strength and boosts the resting metabolism, particularly in the recovery phase. You are stronger as a result and look better at whatever weight you happen to be at. By including this, when the scale does drop you can be more confident that it is actually fat coming off and not muscle.

Both tools should be a part of your overall fitness tool kit just as both a screw driver and hammer should be in your regular tool kit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. I try to focus on both. Cardio to help create a deficit. Weights to help increase my BMR, which at my age and weight isn't that high. :-)

I do cardio and some weights on MWF (something like a 5k run and 30 minutes of free weights)
    Focused strength training on T/TH (I'm taking a brutal circuit training class)
    Focused cardio (A long run) on Sunday.
    Saturday is usually my day off.
  • moleighsmom
    moleighsmom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain with the age. At 48 I have set my calories to lose 1lb a week and stick to that number using a good amount of protein. I also make sure I exercise everyday (mainly cardio) til I burn 500 calories per my HRM. That being said should be 2lb off a week. Not so, just under a pound a week consistently.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    In terms of FAT loss (which is really what you want to lose):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    All hail AnvilHead

Seriously, though, it shouldn't be a this or that choice. You should actually engage in both but resistance training will help retain lean body mass while in a deficit which in turn will keep Resting Metabolic Rate relatively unchanged and able to optimally utilize calories from fat as demonstrated in the above study.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Diet is the most important part, but I think a good weight loss program incorporates both strength training and cardio.

I'm kind of a car guy and I see an athletic/fit body kind of like a dragster, you want a good engine (cardio) but you want it to perform optimally so it needs a supercharger (weights).
  • KerenCutNShoot
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this is a huge help to me, and a boost to my motivation.
    I am not quite how to use the calorie counter on mfp to reach a defecit.

****Would that mean whatever I put in as my calories burned, on mfp, it then gives me that many more calories for the day, that I actually do not have "extra calories" to eat that day?
    Thanks for the links, I will check them out for more info!

Again, I thank you all! I will work on an increase in my cardio and keep weight training in.
    I think the question on age does not really apply. The fact more is that I have let my body get so out of shape for so many years, it takes time to get it back! You all give me confidence :wink:

I look forward to cooler months where I can get some cardio in on the back of my horse, and maybe I will be able to get on her back a bit easier by then!!
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    Both both always both!! :)

There are so many benefits I could go on forever, but the potentially most pertinent are that you'll have less loose skin when you're at goal if you lift, and if you lift you get your BMI down by increasing your muscle mass which in turn increases your metabolism.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump - need to read this properly when I have more time. Very interesting.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It's NOT either/or, it's BOTH. You need BOTH for weight loss!!!! Don't just do one or the other, do both.

To find how much you should eat like you asked, don't use MFP. It sets everyone, usually, lower than what they can really eat and puts them under their BMR,

go to htttp://www.fat2fitradio.com use their BMR calculator. Set your NET goal to at LEAST 50 above your BMR and EAT BACK your workout calories!
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Weights at first may help lose weight but it will eventually just make you gain because of the muscle you're obtaining. Unless you're eating lower carbs and med-high protein. But as I glanced at some both are wonderful with the right eating.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You do NOT NEED both.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps you burn more calories when at rest. It has advantages that you don't feel or see immediately.

This is a really good article that was posted the other day on how strength training is better for burning fat:
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/strength-training-for-weight-loss/
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Its whatever you'll do several times a week. Its about consistency more than anything else, so just start doing something and you'll start seeing results. I recommend that in the beginning of any fitness plan its more about committing to do something everyday than it is about the actual activity. With time you'll start to see results, but for now its about establishing habits and getting used to additional activity (any activity) everyday.

This is just whats worked for me though.