Can't stop eating

Options
Title says it all. I don't know what is up with me. I reached my goal weight back in December, and have slowly been gaining weight ever since. I have gained 10lbs and gone up a jean size. I exercise like crazy (training for a marathon) and in great shape, but I am starting to get fluffy and it is all because I am for some reason addicted to binge eating. I have never had this problem before, but ever since I had my son (who is over a year old) I have had serious binge eating problems. How do I stop myself? Please say something other than gum and staying busy

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Discipline........if you're training for a marathon you already know what discipline is. Dig deep and harness that same inner strength that lets you pound mile after mile training. You can do it, unless you want to completely undo all the hard work you've done you have to do it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your life. Is there a source of stress that's making you binge eat? You could consider going to a counselor.

How low were your calories when you were dieting? You could be binge eating as a response to being so hungry that whole time.
  • MsMandy23
    Options
    I have a problem with this. It usually happens when I have been too restrictive with my diet. I also think its emotional too. When you want to binge drink a couple glasses of water and then leave the house with no wallet for a walk or jog or just go to a park or something. They say the cravings for binges usually only last 10-15 minutes, so if you can wait it out, the craving to binge usually goes away.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    Looking at your diary it appears your cals are way to low for maintenance. Then throw in the fact that you are training for a moaraton and now that number is even worse. I say up your daily cals to about 2000 on training days and at least 1500 on non-taining days. Try eating more filling foods. I would suggest maybe whole wheat toast and pb for breakfast instead of yogurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'll bet dollars to donuts it's somehow stress related. But only a psych would truly know.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cosmicgirl64
    cosmicgirl64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to do the exact same thing with sweet things, espeically at work. I started logging every single scrap of food that went into my mouth though and weighing it all out and was appalled at the amount of calories. I took a serious look at why I was eating. For me, it was a case of boredom and tiredness. I gave up caffeine and was replacing the lost energy with sugar highs which I had to top up constantly. I found that herbal teas really help, with just a little bit of honey. The tea fills me up, gives me something to do and the honey gives me a little bit of sweetness.

I found that when I started exercising so much my metabolism slowly sped up and I genuinely need to eat a lot of food. I try to have veggies (carrot sticks, celery, brocolli etc) on hand with salsa as a snack or if I'm craving something salty and crunchy (when I'd normally open a bag of chips!) I'll have a ryevita cracker heaped with cottage cheese (for protein) and olives on it (for the salt).

Do you plan your meals in advance?
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it appears your cals are way to low for maintenance. Then throw in the fact that you are training for a moaraton and now that number is even worse. I say up your daily cals to about 2000 on training days and at least 1500 on non-taining days. Try eating more filling foods. I would suggest maybe whole wheat toast and pb for breakfast instead of yogurt.

This! Try getting more protein and whole grain carbs so you don't get sugar spikes and crashes that will make you want to eat. Also, check how much sleep you're getting. When you aren't sleeping enough, you're going to want sugars for an energy burst. Given that you've had a baby, I'm guessing you're not getting enough sleep. Also, are you nursing? That pulls a lot of calories out of you so you need to offset those. Ask your doctor if your weight goals are realistic too.