How many people have kept at mainenance for over 1 yr?

Options
Everytime in the past I did fine for 8 mos. January thru Sept. Then Sept and all the holidays and birthdays came, celebration upon celebrations and I went crazy. How many has actually gotten to the point you are healthy and fit....then has kept it off? I may need additional HEAVY support from now thru Dec 31, 2012.:smile:

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in college and maintained it for over 20 years.

Then I put it back on a few years ago in middle age, took it all off and then slid half of it back on. I'm not worried about keeping it off this time, as I've accepted that I am going to have to do different things to keep it off as a perimenopausal, middle-aged woman than I was able to get away with as a younger woman.
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    I've been right around the same weight for a year or so. I pip up and down as I go into miniature bulk and cut cycles but essentially I float right around the same weight now. It's a weight I'm comfortable at and as I slowly gain a bit more muscle I'll likely lose a bit more bf% and end up maintaining at this weight for the long haul.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have never maintained a healthy weight in my life. One of my longterm goals is to become a lifelong member of the National Weight Control Registry.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've maintained a healthy weight now for about 14 years. If I can do it, so can you! I sent a friend request.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I've been right around the same weight for a year or so. I pip up and down as I go into miniature bulk and cut cycles but essentially I float right around the same weight now. It's a weight I'm comfortable at and as I slowly gain a bit more muscle I'll likely lose a bit more bf% and end up maintaining at this weight for the long haul.

GOOD FOR YOU LADYBUG!:smile:
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I've maintained a healthy weight now for about 14 years. If I can do it, so can you! I sent a friend request.

Tks for your confidence. I am serious this ime...I want muscles..I do not want flappy arm wing bat wings anymore. Tks for he friend request. You are just so sweet!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Everytime in the past I did fine for 8 mos. January thru Sept. Then Sept and all the holidays and birthdays came, celebration upon celebrations and I went crazy. How many has actually gotten to the point you are healthy and fit....then has kept it off? I may need additional HEAVY support from now thru Dec 31, 2012.:smile:

This is me too, although I've never reached my goal. The difference this time is that I will continue to log on MFP and have the support of my pals here. The holidays are always tough but we can all do this together. I think I will be fine since I plan to continue avoiding foods with added sugar, for me that is the key.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I just changed my goals to maintenance last week. I get on the scale every morning. I know, you're not supposed to; but I do. I have watched my weight go up 3 & down 2 just in the last 5 days. I set my calorie goal at 150 less than the suggestion because I have a tendancy to be over by 150 quite often. And there are those birthday cakes and holiday dinners where - you get the picture.

I have lost weight and maintained it before, but it's been a long time. Now I'm in my 50s and worried that it will be harder to maintain. I intend to keep logging indefinitely. I think I need to re-learn what the right amount of food is for me. My weight has been going up and down as part of my life being married with kids. I know I can do it; I just feel nervous about it.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Good topic. I just changed my goals to maintenance last week. I get on the scale every morning. I know, you're not supposed to; but I do. I have watched my weight go up 3 & down 2 just in the last 5 days. I set my calorie goal at 150 less than the suggestion because I have a tendancy to be over by 150 quite often. And there are those birthday cakes and holiday dinners where - you get the picture.

I have lost weight and maintained it before, but it's been a long time. Now I'm in my 50s and worried that it will be harder to maintain. I intend to keep logging indefinitely. I think I need to re-learn what the right amount of food is for me. My weight has been going up and down as part of my life being married with kids. I know I can do it; I just feel nervous about it.

Alright then! Lets keep each other even more accountable. Ok? I will if ya'll will.
  • lizzie2190
    lizzie2190 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I weighed exactly the same omy first anniversary last month as I did on my wedding day :) x
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Can I raise my hand? It's been a year of stable weight for me now. Love this site and all my friends here. :bigsmile:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow good for you, i am afraid of maintenance. I will be maintaing soon as i only have 3 lbs to go to my goal but i find i go up and down so easily i don't knwo if i will ever be able to maintain? or go without logging daily. I am a daily weigher too as i gain so easily i need ot make sur ei am on track otherwise i wouldn't of been here in the 1st place.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have never maintained a healthy weight in my life. One of my longterm goals is to become a lifelong member of the National Weight Control Registry.

Interesting. I never heard of that before and looked it up.

I've been maintaining for a few months; so far, so good.

I weigh myself every morning and still track my food and exercise daily as well.
  • jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    9 months in mainetance what ever that is.

gained some lost some learned it is a lfestyle change not a diet.

I am into biking so it is easy to get extra calories. Bike an hour or two.

Hard lesson to learn not to go back to see food comfort diet.

Hang in there.

Nice to be healthy and in size 34 jeans.

jim
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal of losing 100lbs last year on Sept 25th.

I've basically kept it off. I've gone as low as 117lbs and as high as 129 during this past year. As of today, I'm 122. I do weigh myself daily. It doesn't bother me to see the pounds go up and down (sometimes drastically!). I know that if I was able to take off that much weight, that if I gained a few pounds, it's a piece of cake to get it off. I now have the tools that work for me.

When the holidays come around, I don't view it any differently then I do each day as it comes. If I wouldn't have eaten something by choice today, then I don't justify it just because it's a holiday. If I have no choice in what to choose for food, depending on where I am at, then I just eat smaller portions. I can still enjoy the foods around the holiday times (if I choose to), and I can also adapt for it to fit into my lifestyle now. I have the control now.... other people, places and things don't anymore! :flowerforyou:
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I weighed exactly the same omy first anniversary last month as I did on my wedding day :) x

THAT IS WONDERFUL! Congratulations.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Can I raise my hand? It's been a year of stable weight for me now. Love this site and all my friends here. :bigsmile:

WTG LADYBUG! YES RAISE YOUR HAND HIGH!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    IT is soooo good to hear from people who have maintained their weight for a yr or more. I am at my original goal, but I changed it again. And nowI am as small (almost) as my husband. He is at 129 lbs. I am at 135 lbs.
    We both have started strength training, and are loving it. I m thinking of throwing the scales away.:smile:

Tks for haring your successes!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Maintaining for a year after 50-lb loss.

Lots of things can throw us - holidays, injury, stress - but I think the way to keep it off is really just to eat healthy food you like in moderation. Any kind of diet that involves deprivation is bound to backfire.

Best way to do this is count calories regularly, imo. Life happens, and it`s easy enough to veer from normal portions with eg more than a week off the books. Counting, you can make adjustments, and take lapses in stride.

I see myself counting for life.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Not maintaining but I've been steadilly losing weight for 2 years now. I'm 5' 6" and was about 145lbs before I got pregnant, 205lbs when I gave birth dec 2010, and now I'm 123lbs. I actually lost 4lbs over christmas last year :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!