Heart Attack Provides Motivation

Options
I've tried a number of food tracking sites with good success. Last year I lost 25 pounds and went on to improve my personal best marathon time by 38 minutes, running the 2012 Little Rock Marathon in 4:14.

My experience is that I can focus on calories about six - ten weeks and then I burn out. That is usually enough time to achieve my weight loss goals.

After running my seventh marathon last April I was side-lined by an overuse injury. I tried to work through it, but in early July I decided to take a break from running. I'd already paid for the Twin Cities marathon, but gave up on my training. That may have saved my life.

Last Saturday I did my first trial run after six weeks. I only ran 2-miles and everything was fine. Two hours later I had a heart attack. I'm just 52, and in reasonably good health, so I was quite surprised. Had I still been training for the Twin Cities marathon I would have been in the middle of a 20-mile with my running group about the time my heart attack struck. Luckily I was at home and very close to a hospital. The good news is that there was very little damage to my heart.

So now I'm back tracking my food, but this time I'm not counting calories to lose weight. I'm counting sodium, and fat, and just trying to eat healthy.

Trust me, a heart attack is a powerful motivator. Now the question is can I stay motivated longer than my typical six to ten weeks.

Any other heart attack victims out there?

Replies

• madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wrote a bunch of stuff here and deleted it. Heart surgey woke me up that it is time to get motivated and do something about my health. There are so many great people here and groups to he keep you motivated. This time you have more reason to stay motivated. You know in a blink of an eye your whole life can change. Good luck with your journey,
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, even after running seven marathons?! Glad to see you are here and tracking your diet.

I'm not a heart attack victim, but I work with them--I'm a CCU nurse. My daddy died of a heart attack at age 55, so they say that's an automatic risk factor for me. I'm doing the best I can to keep us healthy over here. My hubby is a respiratory therapist whose goal is to run a marathon.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am trying to not be the next heart attack victim in my family (my father and his father both had multiples).

My father is going in on thurs for a pacemaker/defib device to be implanted in his chest.

You were very lucky (though it doesn't feel like it, i'm sure) to have been close to the hospital when this one happened.

Good luck with your newly found motivation - - only YOU can determine whether it is a long term change this time! You can do it!
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hope that your father's procedure went smoothly. Good luck avoiding those pesky genes!
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bushidomama, I'm just now replying to your comment. Your husband and I are now connected. I hope I can offer him some encouragement.

Running seven marathons did not do anything to remove the plaque that I built up over a lifetime, but it did slow down new build-up. I'm allergic to most statins and my cholesterol has always been high. Thanks to running I finally had normal cholesterol levels starting last year. As a result of my heart attack they tried me a new statin, and I'm tolerating it, so now it should go even lower.

I was also told that had my heart not been so strong from running the outcome might have been different. I'll never know for sure, but I choose to just accept that on face value.

They say that I'll be running again (under supervision) in just a few weeks. Everyone say running it is the best thing that I can do for my heart. I'm excited to get back to it.

Now I just need to try to overcome my bad genes with commitment to a heart healthy diet to avoid getting back into this situation any time soon.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank God for your injury that sidelined you. Things happen for a reason....true. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack in May of 2005 with quadruple bypass the next day. I was 46. At the time, I was at a healthy weight and my cholesterol was only 150. However, I had been a smoker for many years and heart problems run in my family. Of course, I quit smoking that day :) I have slowly gained weight over the last seven years and am finally seeing success here at MFP.

Glad to hear your heart is not permanently damaged. It is definitely a wake up call.

Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've tried a number of food tracking sites with good success. Last year I lost 25 pounds and went on to improve my personal best marathon time by 38 minutes, running the 2012 Little Rock Marathon in 4:14.

My experience is that I can focus on calories about six - ten weeks and then I burn out. That is usually enough time to achieve my weight loss goals.

After running my seventh marathon last April I was side-lined by an overuse injury. I tried to work through it, but in early July I decided to take a break from running. I'd already paid for the Twin Cities marathon, but gave up on my training. That may have saved my life.

Last Saturday I did my first trial run after six weeks. I only ran 2-miles and everything was fine. Two hours later I had a heart attack. I'm just 52, and in reasonably good health, so I was quite surprised. Had I still been training for the Twin Cities marathon I would have been in the middle of a 20-mile with my running group about the time my heart attack struck. Luckily I was at home and very close to a hospital. The good news is that there was very little damage to my heart.

So now I'm back tracking my food, but this time I'm not counting calories to lose weight. I'm counting sodium, and fat, and just trying to eat healthy.

Trust me, a heart attack is a powerful motivator. Now the question is can I stay motivated longer than my typical six to ten weeks.

Any other heart attack victims out there?

I'm not a heart attack victim but it runs in my family and is why I decided to try to lose weight to begin with. I'm going to send you a friend request as I think YOU may keep me motivated. Glad your heart wasn't too badly damaged.
  • daveinlancs
    daveinlancs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve, a heart attack in June has made me rethink my whole attitude to healthy eating, fitness and life in general. Like you my heart wasn't heavily damaged and I am making good progress. I hope you manage to keep focussed I am sure the community on here will be a great help.