How Do I....?!?!?

Options
I was wondering how i would go about growing apple trees from seeds? This is typically a question i would ask my Grandma, but she passed away so i cant. I know i got to take the seeds out of the apple but i dont know how to go about germinating them. I live in Canada and the weather is starting to get colder now so i want to grow them in the house over the winter months then plant in the spring. Does anyone know how i can go about doing this? Any info is welcome! Thank you for your time!

Replies

• mama4loca
    Options
    No idea. But I google everything I don't know!
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i googled it but i was just looking to see if anyone has done it and knows of a way that works :) I may try the soak in paper towel in a ziplock sitting in the fridge and see if that works lol
  • mama4loca
    Options
    Don't you have to wait like 20 years to get apples?lol
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    lol im not sure, i dont really care if i get apples or not, i just want to grow a tree LOL.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    there are issues if you care about apple type

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    there are issues if you care about apple type

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm

im not looking to eat the apples, i just want to be able to grow a tree :)
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It will probably grow by just planting the seed but will take a long time before it even gets to be a couple feet tall. Why not just go to a greenhouse or nursery and buy a small apple tree? Once you plant it, you will still be growing it.
  • mindycal
    Options
    i always heard that you have to put the seeds in the fridge too, and it won't be a very fast process, but the trees are beautiful even before you get fruit, good luck
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My hubby took the seeds from our apples, laid them out on a paper towel to dry then planted them...2 out of 3 grew!!!!
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Growing-Apple-trees-from-seed/

has step by step instructions with pictures.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It will probably grow by just planting the seed but will take a long time before it even gets to be a couple feet tall. Why not just go to a greenhouse or nursery and buy a small apple tree? Once you plant it, you will still be growing it.

Because she wants to grow a tree.

If it was me, I'd google and try different ways to germinate and see what works best.

You could also call an arborist in your area. They would be able to help you with your own climate.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    ....live without you?!

...breathe without you?!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :happy:
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bury the apple? it works for nature right?
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but you probably cannot grow a fruit tree from any seed. Thanks to companies like Monsanto, fruits and vegetables are engineered to have sterile seeds. This isn't 100% full proof, but unless you buy seeds from a farm store, you probably will not be able to grow a plant from a seed you take out of a fruit.

Really, it's all about the money and controlling the food supply. Most fruit trees now are grown by grafting a limb from an existing tree.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but you probably cannot grow a fruit tree from any seed. Thanks to companies like Monsanto, fruits and vegetables are engineered to have sterile seeds. This isn't 100% full proof, but unless you buy seeds from a farm store, you probably will not be able to grow a plant from a seed you take out of a fruit.

Really, it's all about the money and controlling the food supply. Most fruit trees now are grown by grafting a limb from an existing tree.

I would agree with that, but I think Canada has more laws against this than we do in the United States. Still, if you buy seeds commercially, they shouldn't be too expensive.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i would just try planting some apple seeds and see what pops up.
    ITs worked for me for various other fruit (apricot, tomato)
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Not sure about all that Mel Gibson stuff, but my
    Dad grows peppers from cheap ones he buys
    at Walmart. LOL
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just take the seeds out of any ripe apple and sow them in small pot, most will germinate & grow.

Our roads in the UK have lapple trees growing on the verges where folk have just lobbed an apple core out the car window, seeds just want to grow, there is no muck or magic involved for most seeds

You can do the same with citrus, or even avocado. Bur the chances of getting fruit from these is slim

I have a nearly 20 year mold grapefruit bush from a pip, never flowered but it is abice bush with dark green leaves, which I have to bring under cover in the winter
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    We got all our fruit trees from seedlings, and transplanted them