Exercise Induced Asthma - How To Deal?

Options
Some of you may be familiar with this: pain while trying to breathe during exercise. The tight, sharp pain - I compare it to feeling like I just drank a gallon of ice cold water.

I'm just curious how some of you may deal with this little speed bump on the road to being healthy and fit? I used to not have a problem with it, but today it kicked in with full force, so tomorrow I'm going to try my inhaler and see if that helps.

Thanks and happy trails!

Replies

• nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Warm up slowly. If you are running, don't break into a sprint right away; walk for a while first. If you are swimming, get used to the cool water and swim slowly first. Etc. If you get to the point of racing, warm up before the race starts and use the inhaler.
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I normally take my inhaler about 15 minutes or so before exercise, and then have it with me to use as and when I need it. As you get fitter it may get less bad :)
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Inhaler before exercise ftw.
    also see if your dr recommends a preventer, made a lot of difference for me
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have this too, usually inhaling before hand and after helps a lot, you prob have inhalers for that.

I also found less dairy and surprisingly enough YOGA helped a lot. Opens your lungs or something, it feels nice.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually been diagnosed with asthma, but I have inhalers that were prescribed for a case of bronchitis over a year ago that I just keep refilling (they seem to help when I get the occasional cold.) I have an appointment coming up with my doctor for my annual check-up, so I'll ask him about it then.