Are carrots a bad carb?

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
Carrots are my main veg and eat them a lot :noway:

Replies

• dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don`t believe that any vegetable is bad. Some people get funny ideas about stuff. I do know that, if you feed a baby too many carrots, their little noses will turn orange....
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
    Carrots are good for you. As vegetables go, they are relatively high in sugar, which is why carrot juice is a thing, but they honestly don't have THAT much sugar.

And what on earth is a "bad carb"?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Carrots aren't good or bad, they are just carrots.

I think it's smart to try to eat a variety of all kinds of food. I don't think eating carrots as your ONLY veg would be a great idea, but as long as they are eaten along side other foods, I don't see the problem.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    And what on earth is a "bad carb"?

Cakes, cookies, chips, soda, white bread.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Carrots aren't good or bad, they are just carrots.

I think it's smart to try to eat a variety of all kinds of food. I don't think eating carrots as your ONLY veg would be a great idea, but as long as they are eaten along side other foods, I don't see the problem.

I eat lots of other veggies but carrots are my favourite ..yummmmmmm :laugh:

I shall carry on eating them :wink:
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever let carb counts in fruits/vegetables stop you from eating them!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    And then there are some people that have perfectly legitimate medical conditions where eating something as seemingly innocuous as carrot will cause blood sugar issues so they have to stick to less starchy options.

I see the whole weight management thing as a sliding scale of carbohydrate tolerance, it all depends where you are and what your metabolic state is like.

In answer to the original question, for some people, yes.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    And then there are some people that have perfectly legitimate medical conditions where eating something as seemingly innocuous as carrot will cause blood sugar issues so they have to stick to less starchy options.

I see the whole weight management thing as a sliding scale of carbohydrate tolerance, it all depends where you are and what your metabolic state is like.

In answer to the original question, for some people, yes.

... but for all intents and purposes, for the 'normal' person with no significant physiological impairments that would be aggravated by carrots, they are great - eat them!

In fact:
    x-all-the-things-template.jpg.png

A balanced diet rich in a variety of vegetables, fibrous, starchy and everything in between is one of the best ways to get sufficient macronutrients.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carrots are 10% carbs, 5% sugar (75% of which is sucrose) and 2.8% fiber. The have a lot of Vitamin A but not much else of note.

So they aren't a good vegetable for a low carb diet, as others have half the carbs.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Yeah, carrots are the reason I became obese. No, wait, that was the six slices of French Toast topped with a huge amount of butter and a full cup of syrup I used to eat for breakfast. My bad.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When people start saying you shouldn't eat carrots, you know that this carb hysteria has gone too far. Keep on eating your carrots, they're yummy and good for you :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carrots, and they help you see in the dark :bigsmile:
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    All your fruits and veggies are complex carbs. Those are good carbs that have nutritional value.

White breads, pastry and such are simple carbs which you want to definitely eat in minimal quantities. If I eat simple carbs such as bread or pasta, I always off set it with a protein such as a Tbsp of peanut butter or a sauce with lean meats in it. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carrots, and they help you see in the dark :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think they may be slightly higher in calories and sugar then other vegetables but I find them very filling.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

No, it's utter nonsense. It is because of a flawed application of GI without reference to GL and the results of a study that showed that carrots (presumably cooked) had a high GI rating (higher than ice cream so I guess the advice should be everybody put down the carrots and pick up the tubs of ice cream. Happy days.)

If you are eating more carrots than Bugs Bunny at one sitting without anything else then yeah, start worrying.

Meanwhile back in the real world....
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet screwed peoples head with some veggies ...carrots, beets, tomatoes (fruit) just to name a couple via they are considered high carb veg along with potato n bananas...there's more but don't care to remember cos it's stupid. I know people who succeeded on this diet, failed, n now have an unreasonable fear of these veggies when they try and lose weight again.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The only "bad carbs" I know of are white sugars, white pastas, white breads, cakes, cookies etc...stay FAR away from that crap. Carrots are good stuff!!! Eat up. :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    carrots are evil

carrot_vader.jpg

fact.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i heard.. that if you eat too many carrots you turn orange.. i mean look at bunnies. they eat carrots... so does it mean we are bunnies?obviously we are bunnies. and we eat bunnies.. so if we eat bunnies... does it mean we eat each other?

conclusion.
    eat carrots cuz rabbits are delicious :)