Say NO to sandwiches! Help needed please!

Options
Starting back at school tomorrow (teacher) and need to think of vegetarian options to sandwiches for lunches. Thought some wonderfully creative people might do better than my raw veg and houmous ideas. Not quite cold enough here for soup:happy: s yet either. Want to try and stay away from bread as it leads to butter, then CHEESE!!

Many thanks!
Cheese addict
Sarah xx

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    LOL..I eat cheese all the time! Not giving it up either :) It's a decent source of protein, but more than that, it's NOT a source of carbs, which are my personal nemesis :P

I don't have many ideas, other than maybe putting it in a wrap (whole wheat if you like those) instead of bread. I'm sure others will have more insight :)
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Making rice with nice spices and veg, then eating it cool for lunch is usually what I do.

Also, wraps with hummus are good.

Smoothies.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad, rice salad, couscous ? Adding lots of salady things like cucumber, cherry tomatoes sweetcorn and small amounts of cheese or some kidney beans maybe? Control the amount of dressing you put with it and you'll be ok
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetable shish kebabs. Shredded apple and carrot salad with a touch of nutmeg.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Salads with legumes :) chickpeas, kidney beans etc all make lovely salads. Is there a microwave? Last nights leftovers can work very well.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Wrap filled with salad, houmous and falafel

Wrap with quorn 'chicken', mango, salsa and salad (could forget the wrap)

Roast veg and houmous on a wrap/ sandwich/ with couscous.

Quorn 'steak' fajitas/ forget the tortilla and make a spicy quorn strip salad

Pasta with pesto, olives, cherry tomatoes and rocket.
  • I find having rice/corn thins as opposed to bread with salad greens and a bit of meat on them, a calorie and fat saving lunch.
    I see that you also love cheese- I made the switch to cottage cheese or having smaller amounts of cheese to get the taste.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Some delicious and filling salads that are great cold for lunch:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/ (the creaminess is tahini, not mayonnaise)

http://www.thekitchn.com/go-to-salad-recipe-peanut-carrot-and-cabbage-slaw-172566

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/05/broccoli-slaw/

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/double-broccoli-quinoa-recipe.html

Also, just roast vegetables (like zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onions) with some olive oil and cayenne or paprika. Mix with cooked quinoa or couscous - delicious!

When I make pasta for dinner I make a portion extra and bring that to work as a pasta salad.

The wrap idea is a great way to cut down bread. Also try vietnamese spring rolls - you get rice paper, soak it in water, and then heap a bunch of crisp yummy salad things on top - lettuce, spring onions, bell peppers, tofu, anything you like. Roll up - no frying! Find some low fat peanut satay sauce or chilli sauce to dip in. Enjoy!

Edit: Oh, one more! If you have a microwave - a portion of lentil curry and some brown rice heats perfectly - filling, healthy and delicious (:
  • chosengiver
    Options
    Tuna or chicken salad on lettuce with 5 saltines

these are adorable from skinny taste

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/cute-school-lunch-ideas-for-kids.html
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs eating sandwiches every day! A good way to make the houmous & veggie sandwich to taste better is to have it in a wholemeal pitta (pre-toasted) with some added tomato relish!

Some of my favourites are - peanut butter, jam & banana sandwich, mock-meat with mayo & spinach, a veggie burger with fresh onion cucumber tomatoes & lettuce on a whole wheat roll, cheese (not all bad! very satisfying so keeps me away from other crap) OR vegan cheese with sun-dried tomatoes & rocket on a bagel (my favourite!), egg salad sandwich with watercress, or how about beans on toast...a filling classic!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

She's vegetarian :tongue:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Don’t take sandwiches, ok
    Here is my lunch for the day
    2 oz raw cabbage shredded really fine, with half a table spoon of real mayonnaise (5 for the cabbage and 50 for the mayo)
    Half a pepper sliced (8 calories)
    Two inches of cucumber sliced (8 calories)
    Four cherry tomatoes (12 calories)
    1 ounce of coleslaw (25 calories)
    1 ounce of cottage cheese (23 calories)
    1 ounce feta cheese (77 calories)
    Half a beetroot (90 calories)
    Three rice cakes (90 calories)
    ¼ bag of seasonal salad (50 calories)
    450 calories total

Meat is my source of protein it's calorie dense food, like salami or chorizo, you might have to pick something which will suit your lifestyle.

Takes me, and I’m a fast eater, 10 to 15 minutes to eat, and fills me up for several hours
    I’ll have carrots and peppers for an afternoon snack, along with couscous (and herring and mustard sauce)
  • sazzledazzle78
    Options
    Wow! Thank you SO much for all taking the time to reply. I have LOADS of ideas here and many that I would definitely not have thought of! Also nice to know people still losing and eating occasional cheese! This should keep me in recipes for the term already! I just find that when tried to be healthy / on diets before, I end up taking the same boring stuff in, get bored, uninspired and then "just have the ONE biscuit" in the staffroom. There the slippery slope begins...
    Many thanks
    Sarah x
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I work in a school too and the amount of biscuits and chocolates they have in the staff room...:noway:

Some good ideas there..good luck!
  • chosengiver
    Options

She's vegetarian :tongue:

oops! I totally missed that! :blushing:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like bringing in quinoa and roasted vegetable salad or couscouc and roasted veg - I like to add some Feta sometimes but you said no cheese!

Falafel salad and some homemade hummus.

Or I just get come cold meats and make a big salad with fresh beetroot, rocket, peppers, onions, balsamic and touch of olive oil.

Don't miss sandwiches at all!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can do many awesome low calorie sandwiches - all contain meat, of course.

I've never had butter on bread anyway, so that bit wasn't an issue for me.

As for cheese, have a look at Weight Watchers Reduced fat mature cheese. Around 215 kc per 100g; of that it has 30g protein and 10g fat. I generally try to go for high protein, so it works pretty nicely for me without much guilt.

If you are going for bread - go for a 400g loaf as they have smaller slices (a few don't now, but most do.)
    Something like Hovis Wholemeal is 57kc per slice, so 114 for both slices comes out less than just one slice of some bigger bread. Some others are a bit lower than this, with the weight watchers ones going well below 50kc; but I find they tend to be a bit flimsy.

I'll often use a low calorie salad dressing to give the sandwich a bit of moisture. Add in plenty of herbs and spices etc for flavour.
  • chosengiver
    Options
    Another awesome snack to make is different flavors of Greek Yogurt.
    I use Chobani Plain and dress it up with things like:

6g PB2
    7g Raw Honey
    15g Love Grown Granola
    or
    Pecans
    Almonds
    or
    Protein Powder

If you can take a blender to work, Green Monsters work GREAT for lunch

http://greenmonstermovement.com/?cat=3

http://k9owner.blogspot.com/2012/01/double-dense-now-green-monster.html

http://k9owner.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-1st-attempt-at-green-monster-was.html
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat a heavier breakfast then sometimes have cereal for lunch! (I hate cereal for breakfast, I get hungry again too quickly)
    Ready brek (or microwaveable porridge if you prefer) topped with fruit and sometimes a spoon of maple syrup, or Kellogg's Just Right (not sure if you're US and can get that there). Topped with sliced banana, peach, pear, nectarine, plums, etc. or some raspberries etc stirred in.
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    rice cakes with speadable low fat cheese, salads, pasta salad with shredded carrot and grapes - mmmmmm!
    reading this thread is making me hungry!!!