Planks - how good are they really?

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    And strength work for hypertrophy does not build a strong core. Because if you cannot see it, don't work it. why bodybuilders are also weak in foundational strength and conditioning.

Right, but as I mentioned earlier, people do planks not because they're worried about core strength but mainly for the six pack.

In what world are you living in?
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you want a more challenging plank, do them on the stability ball - either feet on the ball, hands or floor or forearms/hands on ball, feet on floor. There is also a variation for the BOSU. Both of these options require a great deal of core work in that you are working on an unstable surface. I challenge you to give a try.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Don't believe how good they are?
    Maybe you should hold one with proper form and time yourself to see how long you can do it for.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I joined a "challenge" so to speak to do 60 mins worth of planks in the month of September. I'll tell ya how it works out. :wink: LOL I'm 6 mins in (today will make 8). I can feel a variety of different muscles working while in that position. I don't do it as my only workout though. I am doing it to strengthen my core. I don't intend on having washboard abs (but you know, if it happens I won't hate it... haha!). I have quite a ways to go before I'm close to that.

I'd be interested to know if your other exercise is non-strength-based. The only reason I question the validity of such a "test" is that all cardio work trains the abs/core to varying degrees.

I do p90x... So my other workouts are also strength based. I just have a weak core so I am adding planks as well. Plus, it gives me and my husband something to do together since he refuses to workout with me (he's in the Army and does PT every morning and doesn't feel the need to workout with me).
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Nearly all cardio also uses legs.
    Do you not do leg workouts because of it?

Being able to see abs is purely BF%.
    PS think of the fact some people may not be able to do other ab exercises because of injuries/malformations?
    I can't do situps because I have scoliosis and it hurts too much to lie flat on my back.

Maybe you should hold one with proper form and time yourself to see how long you can do it for.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not questioning the validity of sitting in a stationary squat so it's irrelevant. But if I was to question holding a squat position, then it'd need to be tested carefully without doing other leg exercises otherwise it isn't very informative a test.

As I see it, most people are not interested in core strength, merely losing weight and getting a decent shape. That most people believe doing core work will burn tummy fat shows you where we are today.

Even if I only lasted 5 seconds, it doesn't mean it's useful. It means I can only hold a plank for 5 seconds.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I don't know, but I joined a "challenge" so to speak to do 60 mins worth of planks in the month of September. I'll tell ya how it works out. :wink: LOL I'm 6 mins in (today will make 8). I can feel a variety of different muscles working while in that position. I don't do it as my only workout though. I am doing it to strengthen my core. I don't intend on having washboard abs (but you know, if it happens I won't hate it... haha!). I have quite a ways to go before I'm close to that.

I'd be interested to know if your other exercise is non-strength-based. The only reason I question the validity of such a "test" is that all cardio work trains the abs/core to varying degrees.

I do p90x... So my other workouts are also strength based. I just have a weak core so I am adding planks as well. Plus, it gives me and my husband something to do together since he refuses to workout with me (he's in the Army and does PT every morning and doesn't feel the need to workout with me).

Ah right. P90X will get you the results you want. I've seen numerous success stories.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Problem with many PT/FIs is that they've got mickey mouse qualifications.

Charles Poliquin recommends them religiously, and he trains a big group of olympians and athletes. (I'm a Men's Fitness reader. He writes a column in there every month. Awesome guy and I would never hesitate in recommending any of his writing for good advice).
    As for exercises that work like planks, deadlifts hit every area you've mentioned. The biggest benefit over planks is that you can massively increase the weight as it becomes easier.

PS Thank you for your on-going replies.

Perhaps, but then you're comparing a standard plank to a standard deadlift. If you add weight to a deadlift, then you need to add something to the plank. The variations are that addition. They are far harder than the standard plank.

PS. You're welcome. :)
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    /Users/carolynedwards/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Sep 4, 2012/554767_4028817151189_534157795_n.jpg
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cardio work does not train the abs and core, cyclists and distance runners have notoriously weak core strength.

Spoken from what research? Distance runners most certainly use their core. Try running 15-20 miles and then tell me you don't feel it in your core. BTW- You can't run 15-20 miles without building core strength either.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Problem with many PT/FIs is that they've got mickey mouse qualifications.

Charles Poliquin recommends them religiously, and he trains a big group of olympians and athletes. (I'm a Men's Fitness reader. He writes a column in there every month. Awesome guy and I would never hesitate in recommending any of his writing for good advice).
    As for exercises that work like planks, deadlifts hit every area you've mentioned. The biggest benefit over planks is that you can massively increase the weight as it becomes easier.

PS Thank you for your on-going replies.

Perhaps, but then you're comparing a standard plank to a standard deadlift. If you add weight to a deadlift, then you need to add something to the plank. The variations are that addition. They are far harder than the standard plank.

PS. You're welcome. :)

Alright, if Poliquin recommends them, I'll concede! (No sarcasm.)

Not sure what is meant by a standard deadlift. Presumably, the original weight you can lift.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    554767_4028817151189_534157795_n.jpg

Please try again. :-)

Interested to see what the pic was.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Nearly all cardio also uses legs.
    Do you not do leg workouts because of it?

Being able to see abs is purely BF%.
    PS think of the fact some people may not be able to do other ab exercises because of injuries/malformations?
    I can't do situps because I have scoliosis and it hurts too much to lie flat on my back.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not questioning the validity of sitting in a stationary squat so it's irrelevant. But if I was to question holding a squat position, then it'd need to be tested carefully without doing other leg exercises otherwise it isn't very informative a test.

As I see it, most people are not interested in core strength, merely losing weight and getting a decent shape. That most people believe doing core work will burn tummy fat shows you where we are today.

Even if I only lasted 5 seconds, it doesn't mean it's useful. It means I can only hold a plank for 5 seconds.

It means that it works the muscles?!
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Sure. I already know it works the muscles. It's the effectiveness I was questioning.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

No mention of planks? Was that on purpose?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Sure. I already know it works the muscles. It's the effectiveness I was questioning.

It is NOT possible to get abs without stripping body fat.
    That is all there is to it.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

It is NOT possible to get abs without stripping body fat.
    That is all there is to it.

I said that earlier. :happy:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The point is that the abdominal muscles are, by design, an isometrically-focused muscle group. Their purpose is not to perform eccentric or concentric motions, as is the case with, say, the hamstring or the biceps. Therefore in order to train them effectively you do something that strains their ability to do what they were designed to do...stay still under load. This is why planks are an excellent core exercise.

Dragon Flags are similarly excellent. Though there is a pivoting motion in them, you'll notice that the core remains rigid throughout, performing its work by maintaining stability.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    The point is that the abdominal muscles are, by design, an isometrically-focused muscle group. Their purpose is not to perform eccentric or concentric motions, as is the case with, say, the hamstring or the biceps. Therefore in order to train them effectively you do something that strains their ability to do what they were designed to do...stay still under load. This is why planks are an excellent core exercise.

Dragon Flags are similarly excellent. Though there is a pivoting motion in them, you'll notice that the core remains rigid throughout, performing its work by maintaining stability.

Ah, I see. Am still reading that pdf.
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    Huffdogg took the words right out of my mouth, but said them in a much more professional and intellectual way, ha