Do overnight oats have to be made in glass jar?

I'm dying to make some overnight oats, everywhere you turn there are pics of them & they look so yummy! But I'll be darned if I can find a glass jar laying around to use lol! What would happen if I just out them in a basic plastic tupperware container? Also are they good If you warm them up or are you supposed to eat them cold? As you can see I'm new to this whole overnight oats thing :wink:

Replies

• ninjapdx
    ninjapdx Posts: 14 Member
    Any type of sealable container is fine, I do mine mostly in Sistema plastic containers. On the heating question, Ive never heated overnight oats as it seems wrong somehow to heat them with yogurt involved. Its probably just something in my head. I have steel cut oat porriage hot and overnight oats (using steel cut oats) cold. Normally changes according to the season.
  • I make some overnight oats without yogurt in them. I reheat them just enough to melt a little bit of pb in them! I love overnight oats!
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Anyone have some very basic recipes for overnight oats? All the ones I Google have yogurt in them, I don't think I want that in mine. Especially not to start off with because like ninjapdx I don't feel right heating anything up that has yogurt in it.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    I do mine in a bowl with some plastic wrap.

I've never heated mine- I like the coolness and refreshing nature of it right out of the fridge!
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Anyone have some very basic recipes for overnight oats? All the ones I Google have yogurt in them, I don't think I want that in mine. Especially not to start off with because like ninjapdx I don't feel right heating anything up that has yogurt in it.

Use the same recipies, leave out the yogurt and add more milk to compensate. I do that when I just don't have yogurt around.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'm dying to make some overnight oats, everywhere you turn there are pics of them & they look so yummy! But I'll be darned if I can find a glass jar laying around to use lol! What would happen if I just out them in a basic plastic tupperware container? Also are they good If you warm them up or are you supposed to eat them cold? As you can see I'm new to this whole overnight oats thing :wink:

I use an old (plastic) peanut butter jar. When I make them, my intention is to put them in the pannier bag on my bicycle and cycle to work, so having glass just seemed like a bad idea.

Personally, I prefer it cold. But you can microwave most plastics and other containers - just make sure it's microwave-safe - the taste of melted plastic does not enhance overnight oats.

As to your later question (recipes without yogurt), you could make it with milk, I suppose. Just use a little less.

Overnight oats is very forgiving - if you get too much liquid it's simply a little runny, and if you don't get enough it's a little thick. Personally, I use equal portions of yogurt and oats, plus whatever I'm adding in, then I'll splash a little milk in if the consistency isn't right (should be easy to stir, but not water-thin). If you don't like the yogurt for some reason, you could use a little less milk (or water, or soy milk, or whatever). Maybe 1/2 cup oats and about 1/3 cup liquid to start? Then experiment from there to see what proportions work for your preferences in terms of consistency.