Can't stay under my sugar goal!

Options
Darn sugar! I am finding it very difficult to stay under the sugar allowance. I do most days stay under or I may go over by not too much. But did you know how much sugar is in a banna? Even more in a Delicious Red apple. So I've been going crazy watching my sugar intake. I know not all sugars are the same but sugar was one of the things that I was least educated about. I just knew how much I should eat in a day. Just happens that I get my April Oxygen mag in the mail and there is a whole story on...sugar. So what I've learned is that yes I knew the sugar in fruits and veggies aren't the same as added sugar in yogurt. But when added up through the day, FP doesn't differenciate between the two.

So here is the guideline: "The AHA threshold for added sugar is 10% of your daily intake. The average person consumes 20% adding over 375 extra calories to their diet (empty calories tthat you don't get burned off)" (Oxygen, April 2012)

So this means eat that banana and apple and even the yogurt. This app will put you over you allowance in sugar but you know that you only at a few grams of added sugar from the yogurt whereas the sugar in that apple and banana you are going to be able to burn off.

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    technically... sugar is sugar and carbs is carbs, and for that matter carbs is sugar. what im trying to say is that it doesnt matter if your calories come from sugar because they are carbohydrates as well. you should only be concerned about sugar if you are a diabetic otherwise its completely fine to eat any amount of sugar just stay within ur carbohydrate level and you are fine. you can always customize your caloric and macronutrient needs as well as sugar/fiber/sodium intake.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I took the sugar column off my food diary because it was stressing me out.

My sugar comes from yogurt, milk, fruits. Not junk. I was getting to the point I was not wanting to eat any fruit because I didn't want to see that number go red.

Once I removed the sugar column I was able to relax some and go back to enjoying my fruit.
  • Kbritske09
    Kbritske09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    technically... sugar is sugar and carbs is carbs, and for that matter carbs is sugar. what im trying to say is that it doesnt matter if your calories come from sugar because they are carbohydrates as well. you should only be concerned about sugar if you are a diabetic otherwise its completely fine to eat any amount of sugar just stay within ur carbohydrate level and you are fine. you can always customize your caloric and macronutrient needs as well as sugar/fiber/sodium intake.

I totally get what you are saying. I am always under my carb and sodium goal but I just HATE seeing that negative number on sugars. But I do have to disagree that you can't just eat any amount of sugar. If all your sugars for your day are all from whole foods that's fine but if your sugars are from processed foods then your body isn't going to break them down the same way. Thinking of sugar is almost an obsession now, every time i see food the first thing I think of is how much sugar is in it. Trying desperately to flip that switch off!
  • Kbritske09
    Kbritske09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took the sugar column off my food diary because it was stressing me out.

My sugar comes from yogurt, milk, fruits. Not junk. I was getting to the point I was not wanting to eat any fruit because I didn't want to see that number go red.

Once I removed the sugar column I was able to relax some and go back to enjoying my fruit.

I thought of that too but I want to keep it in check. However it has stopped me from eating a banana and an apple in the same day!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

I totally get what you are saying. I am always under my carb and sodium goal but I just HATE seeing that negative number on sugars. But I do have to disagree that you can't just eat any amount of sugar. If all your sugars for your day are all from whole foods that's fine but if your sugars are from processed foods then your body isn't going to break them down the same way. Thinking of sugar is almost an obsession now, every time i see food the first thing I think of is how much sugar is in it. Trying desperately to flip that switch off!

not necessarily true. now there is the glycemic index which has an impact on insulin spikes but realize that protein spikes insulin as well. the stomach does not have eyes and see what is going into the body.

Stomach: "well hes eating pizza now this is going straight to his belly fat."
    or
    Stomach: "oh brown rice, well im not going to put that to fat because he is trying to do the right thing for the body."

once you consume food its seen as protein, fats, or carbohydrates. (or alcohol also a macronutrient)

micronutrient intake is important for weight loss purposes too but if those are met on a daily you can technically eat whatever you want if it fits your daily allowance of carbohydrates whether it be coke, ice cream, cake, etc and still lose body fat.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Sugar from a banana or apple is natures sugar. It's not processed crap. I don't even count it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and I have never concerned myself with counting sugar... I have tracked calories, carbs, protein, and fats.... Nothing beyond that and have managed to lose alittle weight... I eat clean, stay away from alot of processed foods and junk and stay within my caloric intake..... I wouldn't let it stress you out if it was me.... Best of Luck.....
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and I have never concerned myself with counting sugar... I have tracked calories, carbs, protein, and fats.... Nothing beyond that and have managed to lose alittle weight... I eat clean, stay away from alot of processed foods and junk and stay within my caloric intake..... I wouldn't let it stress you out if it was me.... Best of Luck.....

Just a little weight? LOL
  • SaintsGal
    Options

'I have managed to lose a little weight' from your tracker you have done amazingly well so let's just stop worrying about sugar because, as 'EdDavenport' proves sugar does not need to be tracked!

Congrats Ed Davenport on your loss and everyone else too! Remember weight loss is not a race but a journey that we are all on together
    x