Coconut Water....worth the money???

Options

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    nope. I add a section of lemon to my water for taste and antioxidants.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    One Coconut water with Pineapple is good. The plain, not so much. It is pricey and hard to find. I just stick with regular water.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think so. I put one cupful in my post-run smoothies. A little soy protein, a frozen banana, coconut water, and spinach. It really helps me recover. I don't think just drinking it will aid in weight loss though, you gotta workout like crazy for that :)
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I drink it sometimes (if it's on sale while I'm grocery shopping) after a hot yoga session where I've sweat a ton and need to rehydrate and re-balance my electrolytes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste or texture. I've tried different brands and flavors thinking I'd acquire a taste for it eventually, but it hasn't happened. Imho, it's not worth the price when I could just eat a banana for $0.29. No idea how it would help with weight loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've heard it helps with weight loss and great to drink after workouts. Does anyone drink it often?

Look at the nutrition label. Does it have anything you need that you cannot get more conveniently or cheaply elsewhere? If so, then it's worth the money. If not, get your nutrients from cheaper and more convenient sources.

Potassium can be acquired by using "lite salt" or salt substitutes, as long as you check for the ones that have potassium chloride in them. Or by eating spinach, bananas, and other potassium-rich foods.

However, if you find that you cannot conveniently get something in coconut water and have the money to pay for the convenience of the nutrients it provides, go for it.

This.
  • Kay203
    Kay203 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love coconut water! I usually have it fresh from a coconut though (they grow in my backyard). For me it's the perfect way to end a workout.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    True...but bananas have a lot more calories!!!

Don't be so afraid of calories. Your body needs them for all sorts of wondering things (like energy, muscle support, hormone production, etc). Just use them more wisely.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I like regular plain water; the colder it is, the fresher and better the taste.

If you don't have good tasting water, try a filter like Pur or Brita.

I use the Brita and like it better than the Pur.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I'm sick and vomiting to prevent dehydration.

Otherwise I drink water. Much cheaper.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    My 11 year old runs cross country and she only weighs 55 pounds so I thought it would be great for her also! She hates water and I hate giving her gatorade because the kind she likes is full of red dyes. Any other ideas to keep her hydrated?

I think you might need to lighten up a little. 55lbs and you're worried about red dyes? Get that girl a friggin cheese burger will ya??? I mean that some what in good fun, but I think you might be missing the bigger picture a little. I'm not saying she should live on gatorade, but one or two during longer training runs isn't that big of a deal.

If you're that concerned about it, look into products like Heed or Clif Shot Electrolyte drink.
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I thought I was missing something when I bought it and had one glass and poured it down the sink. It really does not taste like "coconut". I may be naive but I thought coconut water would tast like coconut. Like a pina colada but good for you. Dang it, was I wrong.
    I will just stick to bananas and water...hey maybe banana water...hmmm....
    I love water, others love coconut water, to each their own, I think as long as you are feeding your body and you and it are happy then that is all that matters..imho
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    She eats cheeseburgers occasionally! She eats very healthy....but is so active she stays skinny.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think it's nasty.... I was only able to take a few sips and threw the rest away.

It depends on the brand--I love coconut water--but some of the brands I have tried were awful
    If it was not so time consuming --I would buy, chop it and drink it right from the coconut
  • nmhanna
    Options
    Much better (health wise) than sport drinks. The taste takes some getting used to.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of coconut milk every morning just for the MCT content.

It's about 50 cents for a serving. And gives me some good fats every day so it's worth it to me.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad calf cramp during a spin class a few weeks back- it would not actually go away. Someone on here had recommended drinking Coconut water to help in the healing process. I think it did help, as I was recovering. I have not bought it since... well except I tried it with a hangover once too. :drinker:
  • Smrhoads
    Options
    I love the One brand. It has a tiny bit of juice in it. I live the guava. I drink one every day post workout. I mix my whey powder with it and top off with some water. It has more electrolytes than Gatorade without all of the sugar. They are 5/$5 at HEB
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you have problems keeping hydrated - do it. If not - you'll be fine with just water.

Dont know what you guys have been drinking, but the stuff we have in australia tastes like sweet biscuits!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and spit it right out. Hated the taste.
  • catkid
    Options
    I Really only like certain brands, some taste like bleach to me while some are wonderful and refreshing. I recommend Zico it's been my favorite thus far and I really love Zico Chocolate flavor it taste like chocolate milk but more refreshing and a lot less caloric.

Shame it's expensive tho around $30 for a 12 pack or on Amazon $25 for a 12 pack, I still might start purchase it more frequently as a 12 pack should last me a while.