1200 calories?!

Options
Hi! I just joined, and I already have a question: MFP says I should have 1200 calories/day, but I've seen several people comment on other boards that 1200 calories is too low and not a good idea. I know other folks who have joined and they are getting 1600+ calories to start. Any idea why I'm only allowed 1200? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,106 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh and how many pounds you say you want to lose a week. I've always heard 1200 is a minimum for adult women. But, that too my depend on weight and height. Plus, any exercise you do will add calories you can eat and still lose. Hope this helped some.
  • Rashon74
    Rashon74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've even tried to go into my setup and change a few things around. However, I too have only bee allotted 1200 calories...
  • cherissewilson
    cherissewilson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    it depends on your height and weight and I found out whatever your target goal weight is eat that much in calories. example: my goal is 135 so my calories intake 1350 calories.. I'm trying not to go over 1400 and not eat all my workout calories back. hope this help or make since. Good Luck:smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It does not have to do with height and weight as much as it does how many calories you burn a day living life. 1200 calories a day is very low and I did not get to my goal weight until I started eating 1500 calories a day, then moved to 1600 when I reached goal and continued to lose.

Also, i do recommend not eating back exercise calories when already on a low calorie diet.

Here is a link to some good info for you guys to check out.: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm

Regardless of what people are going to say on here, a calorie is not a calorie. Good, fresh healthy foods will expedite weight loss over eating fast food or processed calories. If you do not believe me, check out the success forums and see what 95% of the people say was the most important thing for them.

We actually do not need to be on a diet, we should just eat healthy. If you just start changing your lifestyle a little at a time, you will find that it is much easier to stick with as well as the simple fact you will be much more pleasant to be around.

Good luck, If you guys need any ideas for healthy eating, please feel free to check out my facebook page on healthy eating. I have some good recipes and motivational stuff in there that people are telling me that is helping them:

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet
  • TSivak
    TSivak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I adjusted mine to 1350 but lost fast anyway and figured out some days I struggled to get in 1350. Just started 1200 today do not think I will starve after some days having 500 calories left to try to eat before ending the day. Love, love, love MFP!!!! If you want it you can achieve it. I' m 10 down and counting. If you go over one day do not stress just remember tomarrow is another day just keep trying for you and your health. You can do it!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally I started at "1/2 a pound a week," which gave me more calories (1500 or so?), then after a few months I moved it to 1 pound a week, which took me to 1200. It's still hard for me (i love to eat), but it's doable.
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined, and I already have a question: MFP says I should have 1200 calories/day, but I've seen several people comment on other boards that 1200 calories is too low and not a good idea. I know other folks who have joined and they are getting 1600+ calories to start. Any idea why I'm only allowed 1200? Thanks for any help!

it all depends how much weight u want to loose, then i tell you how much calories you can eat
    at i survive on 1200 but i never go over 1600
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i started off on 1200 and found i was only hungry if i didnt use those calories wisely!! it all depends on you personally, what works for one may not work for another.. me personally if i eat more than about 1400 a day regardless of exercise i find it hard to lose and im 154lbs and 5"6.. play around and see what works for you thats what i did for a few weeks
  • vadimk123
    Options
    I'm a moderately active 30 yo guy.
    BMI 30 shooting for BMI about 22-23.
    myfittnesspal allows me about 1600 Calories per day.
    I find I have to exercise at least 400-500 calories per day so that I can meet that goal (because I dont feel full unless I eat about 2000 Calories per day on average)

Eating 1600 Calories per day hardly satisfies me most days.
    If I dare to eat sweets, cakes, etc I can easily eat 3000+ Calories per day and still not feel satisfied.

Anyway, I've been doing this 3 weeks now and lost 10 pounds. Most days I am +/- 200 calories of my goal intake.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    1,200 net calories is the minimum your organs need to function correctly.
    if you feel like it's not enough, you can adjust your goals :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Read this : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It can help you figure out the cals you need to loose weight. IMHO 1200 is too low for most people (note not all but most). I'm on 1500 at 5'2 and losing 1lb a week :happy: I started on 1200 but wanted to kill and eat people I was so hungry :wink:
  • jidaley
    jidaley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am 5 '1 149 and I am doing a 1240 per calorie limite for 3 weeks then gradually pushing it up. My doctor told me up to 2000 calories per day no less than 250 per meal.
  • KiaCristal
    Options
    I started on the 1200 calorie goal but pretty much lost and gained the same pound over and over. I made a lot of changes in a short amount of time, went from no exercise to about 6 days a week, cutting out soda and watching calories. After trying that for 3 weeks and being so frustrated I wanted to quit I listened to what others were saying and upped them to 1500 a day. I also burn about 500 to 600 calories a day and eat back half of those. After figuring out my BMR and TDEE and adjusting my calories per day I've now gone from maintaining or losing which is much better than what I was doing before. I know it doesn't seem as though it should be true but for me upping my calories is helping me lose weight.
  • Stella100sw
    Stella100sw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just joined and was surprised when it allocated me 1200 - I'm aiming for 1500 each day so hopefully my exercise will be incorporated into that!!
  • djstan1
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the thoughtful replies! There is so much to think about and learn here - I'm excited to be getting started!!