Extremely bloated and painful. Up four pounds

Options
Went to an engagement party and ate lots of cheeses, crackers, olives, and other salty foods. I never surpassed 1800 calories. Continued to eat sugary and crappy foods for the next three days after that. And now I am constipated, extremely bloated and up four pounds. I look pregnant. I took laxatives to ease some of the constipation and I have finally been able to go once. I am usually going after every time I eat so I know some "assistance" was needed when it had been going over 2 days without a bm. Is there any way to get rid of this bloating before Thursday? I had a banana for breakfast today and am trying to eat light. What can I do to minimize the bloating if not rid it completely?

Replies

• Kikilicious84
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat more fiber.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    GasX is a wonderful thing. Metamucil will add fiber to your fatty diet. Lots of water will clear out the salt.

I'd eat healthy and low fat and it will clear out.

Good luck!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor by any means but I find that if I eat light (and avoid too many starches) keep well hydrated and keep exercising it will help to alleviate these bloating/fullness issues.
    Take care.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, stay away from bananas to start with. Drink a lot of water. Have some good healthy fats (avacados, olive oil) and leafy greens. You might also want to try yogurt to help get your gut in better order.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your tips everyone. I will try anything to alleviate this extremely uncomfortable feeling
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, natural fiber (pills), lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and take a water pill. Stay away from processed carbs such as breads, pasta, oats, etc. You can purchase natural herbal water pills if you don't want synthetic....don't forget to exercise that always helps!
  • emtb319
    Options
    lots of water and eat some fruit
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well, stay away from bananas to start with. Drink a lot of water. Have some good healthy fats (avacados, olive oil) and leafy greens. You might also want to try yogurt to help get your gut in better order.

Definitely this!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Try a colon cleanse....It helps aid in absorption and WILL get you going again.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. When I get bloating like this it usually takes about 3 days to go down. So I am expecting mine to be gone by Friday at the latest.

Like everyone said, drink lots of water, avoid high sodium food in the next days. I would not recommend upping fiber right now if you need the bloating to go away by Thursday because upping fiber (at least in my experience) leads to bloating for a few days till the body is used to the new levels.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Eat some greek yogurt that has a lot of good probiotics to help with digestion. I'd recommend Choban, pretty much every flavor is good...I'm not fond of the lemon or orange but I know other folks are.

A few other things I've eaten that help - lots of fibrous veggies. Just last night we had boiled dinner (ham, cabbage, carrots, turnip, etc) and that pretty much cleaned me out. Pretty much every meal I've ever made that's contained 3 or more bell peppers does the same trick.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water too! All that sodium means you're a little dehydrated and that will slow the works down.

And yes, definitely stay away from cheese and bananas for a while.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, this happens to me far too often :angry:
    I agree with everyone else, up your water intake, keep exercising (even if it's painful), eat light and stay away from starches. On days like these, it helps me to get my carbs from fruits and veggies, not bread, cereal, oatmeal, etc.
    And Gas-X!!!
    Good luck!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have a dairy allergy...but that's up to you!

Try this:
    Add a tablespoon of pure cranberry juice (no sugars, has to be just 100% Cran) to your water.

Stick to Fruits and Veggies, but stay away from tomatoes and super acidic ones. Pineapple, too. Try to stay with Bananas, apples, pears, strawberries and blueberries. The good stuff with lots of fiber.

If you really must do bread for a little bit, just do something annoyingly good for you, like whole grain.

Give it a day or two. No need to steer clear of meat, I never found that it helped to omit it.

I'm gluten free and I get these symptoms if I've "glutenated", meaning I've eaten anything with wheat or wheat gluten added. Super salty foods can do it, too but I really think it may be the dairy. They can be similar in symptoms. Before i went gluten free I'd get this a lot and the above regimen helped a lot after a couple of days.

good luck!
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    water! gallons of it.
    high fiber fruits and vestibules.

stay away from grains.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. When I get bloating like this it usually takes about 3 days to go down. So I am expecting mine to be gone by Friday at the latest.

Like everyone said, drink lots of water, avoid high sodium food in the next days. I would not recommend upping fiber right now if you need the bloating to go away by Thursday because upping fiber (at least in my experience) leads to bloating for a few days till the body is used to the new levels.

Oooh yes...good point on the fiber.
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bananas???
  • jmcguir6
    Options
    yoga! or at least doing mild twists of your core, ie lay on your back, lift your right leg up over your body and let it fall to the left or sit in a chair and gently twist your core. drink tons of water. good luck!
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lots of water (12 to 16 cups) Also consider using a stool softener and a gentle laxative like Miralax. Obviously, fiber suggestions are really good for BM, however that wont help you with gas (reading between lines ;) ). My suggestion- get regular and then deal with gas...
  • 780ck
    780ck Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem for me too. Some great ideas here. BUMP for later!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bananas???

Bananas sometimes produce constipation.