Is it worth it?

Options
I am having a hard time getting/staying movatied to do my workouts. I have started my workouts twice only to turn the dvd off both times. Maybe it's because I am going into my fourth week of workingout and eating better and have only lost 3 pounds. It just seems like all the effort and energy I am putting into this is for nothing. I am about ready to just say forget it. Someone please tell me that this is normal and it will get better soon.

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    It is definitely worth it. Even if you can't tell much of a difference on the outside yet, your insides are benefiting! If you are working out and eating right there is no way you aren't benefiting. Someone posted an article on here too about why some people even gain when they first start a new exercise regimen. It has to do with muscles retaining water and all that. You will see results, just keep at it! 3 lbs is GREAT! You CAN do this. Just think of your goal weight and how happy you'll be when you get there. Is just forgetting about everything you've done thus far really worth risking your health, maybe even your life? Don't you want to have a ton of energy and be healthy from the inside out? Stick with it, you will get there!!
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is normal and it will get better soon. :flowerforyou:

Think about how long it took to gain the weight you are trying to take off. It was not overnight, so you will not see big changes overnight (although I do secretly wish to wake up tomorrow morning and have the body of a god). Besides big changes usually are not permanent changes whereas small changes usually are. Keep up the workouts and eating right. Maybe even try to change your workout somehow so it is not as routine and perhaps demotivating. Find something to spark that motivation and keep yourself encouraged!!

One final comment - the answer to your question - Yes, it is worth it.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    When I started my weight loss project I decided I had to accept a couple things that basically come down to one thing. I'm resolving to just live with the "uncomfortableness".

It makes me uncomfortable to turn down foods I love. It makes me uncomfortable to not stuff my face all day long. And it makes me REALLY uncomfortable to work out. But a razor was never sharpened on velvet. If I want to change I have to face the discomfort, do the work anyway, and reap the reward afterward.

So yeah, I agree with everyone else here. It IS worth it. And while it makes you uncomfortable now, if you push ahead, you'll be so happy with yourself afterward. And that feeling of accomplishment will be much greater than your temporary comfort by not working out now.
  • katee38
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have to change it up all the time or I get bored. I go to the Y mostly on the weekends and do my videos at home. I have many different ones to do so I can keep myself from being bored, Also if you go to You tube you can watch videos from there. I hope this helps!
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I think we all want to see dramatic results over a short period of time. Try to stay focused on the long term outcome of all the hard work you are doing. Its not just about shaping your body or being able to fit into a certain size jeans. Its about a life long commitment to be healthier and live longer. Also perhaps your getting bored with your exercise routine, don't be afraid to change it up. That might help you stay motivated.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Reality: If this isn't worth it then nothing else is, either.
    What's left?
  • nuimage12
    Options
    It most definitely IS worth it and you need to also be aware that while you may not be losing weight, I bet you are losing inches! You are getting healthy, which should be giving you extra energy and you should be starting to feel better and better about yourself every day :)

If you are still struggling, get an accountability partner who checks up on you and makes sure you are staying focused and helps motivate you...I know mine can get a bit annoying at times but in the end, I love her for it! Change it up a little too...take a walk, go to the gym, use different style videos - strength training one day and cardio the next..Also, make sure you are documenting everything you put in your mouth to make sure you are eating the correct things...stick with it!
  • AlterKnight
    Options
    I have been there many, many times. I have quit (failed) on diets consistently and not finished the 90 day p90x program at least 5 times I always start out highly motivated and very committed. After a few days, weeks, or even sometimes a month or so, the switch turns off and I regress back to a poor diet and apathy.

Right now I am on track with my new way of eating and getting ready to start week 5 of 90x. I wish I had words of motivation but I think you have to find them within yourself. With me I got tired of being a quitter and uncomfortable in my clothes. I also look around and see at least 80% of the population overweight or obese... I don't want to be in that majority. Lastly, for me, cleaning eating and exercise is starting to become habits. Habits are habits in that you can just as easily get into good habits as you can bad habits - from a certain perspective your body/brain doesn't no the difference other than this is what I normally do.

I have one little trick I am using that seems to work for me. Every night before getting into bed, I take a black sharpie and make a tick mark on my front/side hip that signifies a CONSECUTIVE good day eating and exercising. I am up to 23 tick marks. This motivates me as I don't want to have to start over again and I take pride in making that mark every night.

Good luck
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find an activity you LIKE to do. I hate doing videos, but I love to go running so I do unless it is to miserable out to go (which happens quite a bit in the winter here in Wyoming). I will do a video or go to the gym if there is no other option only. If it isn't something you enjoy you will never stick with it, and once you stop you will go right back to where you were to begin with. Being healthy requires a life long commitment and frankly when I look at me in the future, I don't see myself being an 80 year old gramma doing an exercise video, however, I can see myself out strolling with the grandkids or going for walks with my husband.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Your tag line says it all
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I think it is worth it, only because I'm right with you. I'm in my fourth week, I lost four pounds and gained two back. i'm blaming the two on my upcoming period... Anyway, I have been measuring my stomach and I have gone from 40 inches to 38.5. That is a big deal and it feels good (even though my pants size is the same). You might not even look any different, I don't but I noticed this morning my butt doesn't giggle as much when I run. If you think about it you will probably find those little quirks within yourself too, and then be proud of it. Maybe you could try a different work out too, Target has a ton on sale for ten dollars this week.
  • dfly22000
    dfly22000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's totally worth it. Try to focus on things other than weight loss to get you through. I like to think of things like 1. My mood will be much improved for most of the day if I work out in the morning 2. I feel really great after working out 3. I feel like my head is clearer and thoughts come faster after I work out 4. Think of workout time as 'me time' - put on some music, move your body, feel good about it 5. It's not just about living longer, it's about feeling better about yourself during the time allotted to you. Keep up the good work!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It is definitely worth it. Think about the bigger picture. 3lbs in 4 weeks adds up to 18lbs in 6 months or 39lbs in a year. That is great progress that is healthy and sustainable. Also, there are other benefits besides just seeing the scale go down. You will quickly see benefits such as reduced stress, and increased energy. You will not only look better but you will feel better too. Stick with it. You will get there.:smile:
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, it is worth it. Don't always rely on the scale, there are other things that can tell you, it's worth it; such as: your clothes fitting differently or even if you have more energy.
    I know I have a hard time working out with videos, but maybe if you have a friend to workout with either at the gym or even do the videos with you, you won't get bored or disappointed with the video. I know for me, I get turned off, because no one seems to be as tired as I feel when I am doing the videos.

Keep at it, you are benefiting in more than one way!
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    When you say you are eating healthier are you actually staying within your calories? If you have a calories deficit of 500 calories a day, you should lose 1 lb. a week. I know that in the past, I "thought" I was eating healthier and I was, but before I started looking at calories, I was consuming over 3000 calories, so yeah, I was eating healthier, but still way over my calories to lose weight. I really wish someone would have gone over calculating calories as a teenager, I think I would have ditched cokes a long time ago and never got into the situation I am in now of trying to lose so much weight! Also, if you are counting calories and within the calorie range, you might want to get your thyroid checked. If you have a medical condition that may be undiagnosed, then this could be the cause of you not losing as much as you want to. I can actually lose 1 lb a week with no exercise by staying at 1800 calories a day. If you have any other questions, just post, I will look at this posting periodically.
  • adelheid
    Options
    Don't give up, you owe it to yourself. It can be very discouraging I know, but you'll be so proud of yourself if you hang in there. Stay focused on your goal! I'm going through the same thing- 4 weeks of totally changing my diet and mega-cardio 4x's a week and yoga 3x a week and I lost 6 lbs. I was hoping for more too. Keep up the good work~!!!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    When I started my weight loss project I decided I had to accept a couple things that basically come down to one thing. I'm resolving to just live with the "uncomfortableness".

It makes me uncomfortable to turn down foods I love. It makes me uncomfortable to not stuff my face all day long. And it makes me REALLY uncomfortable to work out. But a razor was never sharpened on velvet. If I want to change I have to face the discomfort, do the work anyway, and reap the reward afterward.

So yeah, I agree with everyone else here. It IS worth it. And while it makes you uncomfortable now, if you push ahead, you'll be so happy with yourself afterward. And that feeling of accomplishment will be much greater than your temporary comfort by not working out now.

I LOVE this! I'm going to print it out and carry it with me. Thank you!
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    WORTH IT!

I don't care how small my weight loss is as long as the scale is going in the right direction. I'll literally do a happy little dance if I'm down even half a pound! I think a lot of it has to do with attitude. Just keep telling yourself how much better you're going to feel inside and out if you stick with it!

When it comes to work-outs, I know when I'm bored I want to quit. Maybe try a new video or a new routine? I swim because I LOVE it and it hardly feels like work at all because I'm having so much fun. If you're having fun, it will be easier to keep at it.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to stick with it and it seems like such a long time to see any real benefit. I have been with MFP for a year and when I started I never thought I would hang around that long and manage to accomplish anything. Now I feel so much better and the milestones just sneak up on you.

When it feels like such a long road ahead - look behind you and see how quickly time passes when you just take each day as it comes. Feels like Christmas was only yesterday? It was a MONTH ago.. How quickly does summer go by? How long have you been at your job?...in, or out of high school? married? When I started realizing how fast time goes when you aren't count each moment, and started eating right and exercising "just one more day"..."just one more week", regardless of how much physical progress I seemed to make for that day or week, it really helped me.

Hang in there, it really is worth it!!!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Yep, it's worth it! 3 pounds lost in 4 weeks is great! If you were not doing this, how many would you be in the other direction? And if you quit, you guarantee that the scale will be moving in the other direction.
    I lost a bunch at first, then maintained for a few weeks while my body adjusted. TWO whole weigh ins with no loss. I was weighing and measuring, eating at my target, eating my exercise calories. Then whammo!
    Just keep on keeping on. If you have a bad day, it doesn't mean the next one has to be bad, too. You really can do this.