Obsticles we face when working out

Options
For me, I have feet issues. My left foot curves in and it pains me horribly, also the fact that I have flat feet! Other than the general discomfort that comes from having to find something you can move easily in, my feet are my worst issue.
Anyway, just wondering what everyone else finds to be their biggest reason for having days when they say, "I just don't know if I CAN."
Other than the general lazy attitude. heh.

Replies

• averys7
    averys7 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Time...I feel like I am way to busy all the time to do it. That is the biggest challenge for me...I am dedicated to making the time for it! That's the only way...dedication!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I have a really shotty knee that just feels like bone on bone grinding even when I'm just walking. It's horrible!
  • KLSimpson
    Options
    Oh, I can come up with some good excuses! How about not having anything to wear?? I use that one a lot :)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Im just lazy and HATE working out
  • haleysman
    Options
    Oh, I can come up with some good excuses! How about not having anything to wear?? I use that one a lot :)

not a problem when you work out at home as do i, but i do have several obstacles in my living room, such as the couch, love seat, & coffee table...the tv is another big one when there is a good show on, good show vs workout dvd is a very tough call sometimes
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Lately its been that Im on pills for my migraines that can make me feel like Im going to pass out when I work out.
    Even the warnings tell you to stop as soon as you get nauseous or dizzy... so I end up taking a lot of breaks when I do work out.
    Another side affect is a "heavy feeling in the chest" which combines just wonderfully with the pass-out feeling.
    I end up on the floor trying to control my breathing while I feel like the room is spinning and my chest is caving in if Im not careful.

still better than the migraines I had
  • emraldstorm
    Options
    LOL, for me it's pretty much all of the above. A lot of the issue is my feet as well. I've been diagnosed with severe arthritis, plantar fascitis, some nerve issue i can't remember the name of, and a broken bone that healed badly because it was never treated (didn't know it was broken). I just always figured my feet hurt because i was carrying so much weight on them, but they started getting worse when I started going to the gym. My doctor says that the only thing I can do as far as exercise is the eliptical since it doesn't flex your feet, so I'm trying to buy one soon. Hopefully that will get me back into the swing of exercising :D
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Well, for the most part I REALLY enjoy working out and feel so much better afterwards. I am pretty frickin' flat footed, have bone density issues in my left shin which can cause pain if I do to much impact work. I also live in a small apartment, so in order for my to do my workout videos I have to move the furniture to the sides of the room, makes it an ordeal workout!! Sheesh :laugh: :laugh:

But honestly, I think we all have crap that we have to accommodate for with our workouts. The fact that we are doing that and not blowing it off with excuses is awesome! :bigsmile:
  • tesshandel
    Options
    I also have flat feet, which makes foot wear a challenge. In addition, I have an ankle with a lot of hardware. I need surgery again...the first two failed. So working out can be a very painful experience for me. I cannot workout in tennis shoes. I actually have to work out in steel toe work boots; otherwise, my ankle cannot even take me walking on a treadmill for more than 15 minutes. I even wear these boots to work when I have to be on my feet all day from either teaching or doing patient care. Trust me these boots are not very attractive with cute work out clothes or dress pants. I have been wearing them for 9 years. So I know how you feel and I feel your pain. I have lost 30 lbs so far, but it has taken me almost a year. I have another 35 lbs to go. The one thing I found out through this site is that I am actually eating less than what I should be...so for years I have been starving myself on and off. No wonder why I have yo-yo'd so much. Now I am seeing a steady decline. It is a slow process for me because I am older (almost 45) and I have years of yo-yo dieting and emotional eating (bad marriage) that I need to counteract. I currently belong to a club that is big--it has a pool, wts, and tons of work out equipment. I like that. I do not feel self-conscious despite my lovely work boots because everyone is there for the same reason and no one knows who I am. I do not workout with anyone because I do not want to be influenced by anyone else's agenda. You have to find an exercise program that works for you. So try different things. I do a lot of swimming because it is the one exercise that does not hurt my ankle. I am also a single mom and trying to find time has been difficult. I often work out late at night...sometimes I do not get home from the club until midnight and I am up at 6 am. However, despite everything I am finally starting to feel healthy again. I take it one day at a time.

Tess :):smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had big foot issues until I lost the weight. The BEST machine was the Elliptical. My feet did not have to come off the ground and slam back down. I even took my shoes off at the gym and wore only socks!

Ended up buying a machine for my house. Will get rid of the couch before I sell that thing!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Besides laziness and making up excuses not to?

Nope. Got nothing. *sigh*
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have nerve damage and weak cartiledge in my left knee. I have to be very careful not to over work it or I will be down for weeks. Thats my biggest problem and I hate when I can't workout I feel like I am lazy even though I know I can't do anything with my knee I still try to work upper body.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    ...obstacles for me is time - when around basketball, wrestling, work, family -- when is there me time. So for me its the time...but in the other end...4 wonderful, calm, patient, non fighting and helpful (cough cough cough) kids sometimes have the nerve to PUSH me out of the house and onto a walk or to the gym just to get away....