Parents of toddlers...question!

Options

Replies

• kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My daughter turned 4 in July and is still taking naps! Her class lays down for 45 minutes at school, and at home I refer to it as "quiet time" if she refuses to nap. I tell her 1 hour in her room, she gets 2 books to read, but she must lay down and no playing. She falls asleep about 98% of the time yet... without her naps, her tantrums are horrible! She needs her naps!
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My son will be 3 in February and he still likes his naps. :) I am jealous of you for getting your kid to sleep 13 hours straight, though! Mine wakes up every 4-5 hours, sometimes even 2-3 hours, and then we have to wake up and put him back to bed.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My youngest will be 3 in October and still naps for about an hour or so a few times a week. Its always been that way though...I guess sometimes he's been sleepy and sometimes not so much. Bed time seems to be worse if he doesn't nap...or if he naps too late in the day. We have a regular night time schedule of bath, story, bed time...bath usually beginning around 8:30 or 9pm(husband works late so that's when we finish up from dinner) then a story for a bit, then we try to put him down. Last night was awful as he didn't sleep and kept getting out of bed whimpering...he finally fell asleep around maybe 1 am. Ahhhhhhhhh the mercy of sleep.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My oldest boy stopped napping around 26-28 months. My little one jus turned 2 and is still going strong. lol

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Mine is 26 months old and been napping later and later - got to around five and would not go to bed till after 11 so we have stopped her naps. she does get very grumpy around four but by six she has come around and is in a better mood.

She now goes o bed around 8 and sleeps most of the way through.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    At 3 they started getting "quiet time" instead of naps where if they fell asleep, so be it, if not, they could quiet play on their beds with toys. At 4 it basically went away.

This is what we did with our son when he was 3 also. He loved to sit in his bed and play quietly or even read.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My son will be 3 in February and naps are a thing of the past. But, come 6 or 7....his attitude gets pretty ugly.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it's all dependent on the child. My 8 year old still needs naps! He just needs lots of sleep - poor kid gets it from me. My daughter stopped napping around age 3, though. However, we stay with the same rules as daycare - you don't have to sleep, but you must rest. That can include looking at books and quietly playing. And in your room. She will occasionally nap, but only on days that she's been swimming or we've ran around quite a bit. If it's getting nasty and the tantrums start up, all toys are taken out of her room and she has to nap.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    my 18 month old refuses but my 2 almost 3 yr old still does lol
  • jenn0113
    Options
    My son will be 4 in Nov and still takes a regular 2-3 hour nap. I am not looking forward to the day he gives them up completely.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old still naps but my son who will be 5 in October stopped napping when he was between 2.5 and 3. But he would also get super grumpy in the evening! He STILL gets grumpy most evenings! :huh:
  • sissie2955
    Options
    My little guy wont be 3 until the end of January and already has stopped napping here inthe las week or so.
  • bretattx
    Options
    3 sounds like the typical age they want to avoid taking naps. My little 3 yr old is the same. My 6 (just turned) still takes the occasional naps. If they don't nap, then they have quiet time, and that works out well. Both my 3 and 6yr old know that if they don't nap and start to get ornery in the evenings, then they go to be early.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My oldest took naps until he was almost 4. If he didn't want to nap, he still stayed in his room for a little bit for quiet time, and would read or play in his room. My youngest, currently 2.5, still takes naps, about 2hrs each day. Sometimes we get busy on the weekends, and he skips them, but then he usually goes to bed 30min-1hr earlier. I think around 3 is normal to start refusing naps, they're afraid they're going to miss out on something I think.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have a "resting time" for an hour or so in the afternoon. He doesn't have to sleep, but he has to stay in his room. He can read, play, etc., but can't come out until the "big hand reaches the 12". Sometimes they will fall asleep, sometimes they won't.
  • MamaKay3
    MamaKay3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My son is 3 and he will occasionally take naps. Usually if he takes naps he's a bear when it comes to bedtime. I prefer to let him stay up and relax with me while my youngest naps. This way he goes to bed early and without a fight. :)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    around 3 1/2
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting the no nap thing tooth and nail! My 3.5 year old still takes them (thank goodness!), and we can usually get our 6 year old to take one once a week (on saturdays after a long week at school). Even now though, we can definately tell when our 6 year old DOESN'T take one. But when he doesn't take one, we make him at least lay down to quietly watch a movie or something like that. Usually just that quiet time is enough for all of us to catch our breath and reset.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 4 this month. and STILL takes naps.... When its the weekend we have no "set" nap time we just know when she gets tired she will fall asleep...

But with her daycare/preschool they make them lay down and rest or nap. I can tell when she has one and when she doesnt. Major attitude. I heard I'm lucky that she still naps, I know alot of kids that stop at like 2.
  • NeonRainbow83
    NeonRainbow83 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My youngest has just turned 2 and he dropped his afternoon nap (himself, he just wouldn't go off) a good few months ago, in turn he goes to bed at 6pm and sleeps until 7am.

I love this. Lol.