30 day shred and insanity at the same time??

Options
I just started the 30 day shred yesterday and plan on doing it for the full 30 days this time!! Plus, I was thinking of starting Insanity this upcoming weekend. Is that too much? I was going to do 30 day shred in the mornings before I have to get ready for work and my kids ready for preschool/daycare. Then I was going to do Insanity after they go to bed. Do you think this is crazy and too much? I don't want to burn out, but I have been dying to try Insanity and finally able to borrow my friends! I don't want to stop 30 day shred b/c I want to actually finish it and not go off on something else like I normally do. I guess I will just see how I feel and also see if my knees can handle Insanity. I have had surgery and issues in the past, so not sure if my bum knees will handle all the jumping.
Has anyone else done these programs at the same time?

Replies

• peridot1383
    peridot1383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't done them at the same time, but I am doing Insanity now and I will tell you this:

1) If you're going to double up, double up on Month 1 of Insanity. Month 2 is just too hard.
    2) Don't double up if you're not in awesome shape already because you WILL burn out. OR you won't be able to do either program to their full extent/energy and end up risking not as good results.
    3) Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition! Pay close attention if you're doubling.

Worse comes to worst, just do them consecutively. You're just committing an extra 30 days to great workouts! You got this :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    If you are borrowing your friend's Insanity why not just do that now? And do the 30 Day Shred after you finish Insanity? It doesn't count as quitting if you're replacing it with something way harder :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    why would you want to double up? if you havent done anything as strenous, id say start with 30 day shred and get used to the workouts.

Insanity is tough, like really tough. You dont want to be doubling workouts and causing yourself injury especially if you have bad knees. Choose one workout and stick to it. Could you ask your friend if you can borrow it another time?
  • verykristin
    Options
    Not sure why you'd want to punish your knees like that.
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is pretty good, but insanity if kinda hard. Doing both will really get you into shape fast. I would say do 30 shred first and then insanity so you are stronger when you start it.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Is it pointing out the obvious to ask if you've consulted your doctor?

I don't know how in shape you are or aren't, but any time you start a new workout regimen, you should talk to your doctor -- now, I know.. seriously.. WHO DOES THAT when you buy a CD and just start a new program? Not me.. BUT.. I'm not trying to enhance one already challenging program that I haven't finished 30 full days of with another equally and probably MORE challenging program..

Talk to your doc. Seriously. It's not worth risking injury to save a couple of bucks visiting your doctor..

Stef
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you should do 30DS first, and then try Insanity. Get through the easier of the workouts before doing something much more challenging. I mean, what is the point of 30DS having levels if you are just going to bypass them all anyway?
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have a different opinion so you need to do what you think is best for YOU! I can tell you this: Ive done 30 day shred (not for the full 30 days) and Im currently doing a hybrid of Insanity/Insanity: The Asylum, in addition to training for 2 half marathons. I have knee issues too and there are exercises that YOU WILL have to modify if you dont want to hurt your knees. Again, everyone is different but maybe you should build an aerobic and strength base first by doing 30 day shred THEN after you complete that, try Insanity. If you have knee issues you will also have to be careful with 30 day shred because of the squats, lunges, butt kicks, etc. But I wouldnt recommend doing them together because I think its going to be way too rough on your knees. I do a TON of yoga because I am putting so much tension on my knees from doing the hybrid AND running.

Whatever you choose to do, please be careful! I misaligned my kneecap from doing an Insanity workout from all the plyo jumping and had to go to physical therapy for 2 weeks and was unable to run. Since then I modify the diamond jumps, I dont do the knee tuck jumps (instead I do a light squat jump), and I modify the switchkicks by not jumping (I just simply to do a squat and then kick).

Hope that helps!
  • julianatalie
    Options
    I am currently doing 30 day shred in the mornings and ripped in 30 in the evenings.
    Listen to your body x
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions!! I just want to push myself more and excited to try Insanity. I don't want to give up on 30 day shred b/c I have never done it all the way through for 30 days. I have always incorporated other exercises into it. So, I was just trying to challenge myself. I definitely will listen to my body and if my knees hurt, I change how I do exercises. None of the 30 Day Shred exercises have hurt my knees. Thanks for the info on some of the exercises I might have to modify. I appreciate everyone's feedback.