I only asked if they were a bad carb......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    carrots are evil

carrot_vader.jpg

fact.

:noway:

So, through the power of deduction, that means baby carrots are all Luke and Leia's siblings? OH HELL I'VE POTENTIALLY BEEN EATING AWAY AT THE REBEL ALLIANCE. my bad. :embarassed:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What makes a carb "good" or "bad"? Is there a strict list of criteria to be a good or bad carb?
    Paranoia and zealotry, with a little fear mongering and lack of education thrown in.
    Don't be ridiculous. If you're restricting your carb intake -- regardless of the reason -- it stands to reason that vegetables with less carbs are going to be the better choice because that's what fits into your plan. It's the exact same reason someone restricting their calories chooses carrots instead of potato chips because that's what fits into their plan.

If you are restricting carbs for reasons other than medical, then that's just too bad. :frown:
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    i heard.. that if you eat too many carrots you turn orange.. i mean look at bunnies. they eat carrots... so does it mean we are bunnies?obviously we are bunnies. and we eat bunnies.. so if we eat bunnies... does it mean we eat each other?

conclusion.
    eat carrots cuz rabbits are delicious :)

Actually it is true that if you eat TOO MANY carrots you can turn slightly orange. The (I think beta carotene) but something in carrots doesn't break down in our systems really quickly, so if you overload on them (and it takes a LOT of carrots to overload) then your palms and bottoms of your feet may turn orange. This is unlikely to happen to most people. I haven't ever seen anyone in person this has happened to. Only in text books. So unless you have health reasons why you really need to monitor your sugar, then I say... eat those delicious carrots. : ) BTW, I track sugar just to prevent future problems. I haven't had table sugar in months, get all my sugar from dairy and complex carbs (fruits, veggies, brown rice, oats, etc) and still sometimes go over. I don't sweat it too much. :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    carrots are evil

carrot_vader.jpg

fact.

:noway:

So, through the power of deduction, that means baby carrots are all Luke and Leia's siblings? OH HELL I'VE POTENTIALLY BEEN EATING AWAY AT THE REBEL ALLIANCE. my bad. :embarassed:

Darth Carrot! There's nothing like a good Star Wars reference to help a thread along! :laugh:
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When I eat too many carrots my teeth feel grainy for a min or two so I think they are bad.
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    All your fruits and veggies are complex carbs. Those are good carbs that have nutritional value.

White breads, pastry and such are simple carbs which you want to definitely eat in minimal quantities. If I eat simple carbs such as bread or pasta, I always off set it with a protein such as a Tbsp of peanut butter or a sauce with lean meats in it. :)
    No.

Actually, fruits are simple carbs, white bread is actually a complex carb (it's a starch.) Simple and complex have to do with the types of sugars in them. Fruits contain mostly monosaccharides, while breads, pastries and pastas contain all polysaccharides, which are more complex, hence "complex carbs."

Umm... Are you sure you don't have this backward?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have it backward. Glucose and fructose (and sucrose) are the main sugars in fruits. They are monosaccharides, the absolute simplest sugar there is (sucrose is a disaccharide, which is also simple.) Most breads, pastas, and pastry doughs are polysaccharides, the most complex forms of sugar (like starch.)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    369rgd.jpg
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    All your fruits and veggies are complex carbs. Those are good carbs that have nutritional value.

White breads, pastry and such are simple carbs which you want to definitely eat in minimal quantities. If I eat simple carbs such as bread or pasta, I always off set it with a protein such as a Tbsp of peanut butter or a sauce with lean meats in it. :)
    No.

Actually, fruits are simple carbs, white bread is actually a complex carb (it's a starch.) Simple and complex have to do with the types of sugars in them. Fruits contain mostly monosaccharides, while breads, pastries and pastas contain all polysaccharides, which are more complex, hence "complex carbs."

Umm... Are you sure you don't have this backward?

Don't believe him? Look here:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002469.htm
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've just read a post on here where the poster said carrots are a bad carb to eat..is that true?
    Carrots are my main veg and eat them a lot :noway:

I wouldn't say it is a bad crab, but if you are someone that has a medical condition they may ask you to limit them more. They have more sugar in them then most veggies, as do tomatoes.

If you are doing low carb, i think the main ones are potatoes and corn, but I don't limit my other veggies.

I would think the only way they would be a problem is if you are eating high sugar foods, and in that case better to cut thsoe out over carrots! No matter the carb content, there are a ton of benefits from carrots.
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    They are high glycemic and cause a rapid increase in blood sugar and insulin. They should be eaten in moderation but no they aren't bad for you. There are just better choices.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes they are horrible for you....thats why i avoid carrots daily they are nasty little buggers....for good carbs i stick to angel food cake better taste and better carb not to mention more protein to
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't trust orange food
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    And then there are some people that have perfectly legitimate medical conditions where eating something as seemingly innocuous as carrot will cause blood sugar issues so they have to stick to less starchy options.

I see the whole weight management thing as a sliding scale of carbohydrate tolerance, it all depends where you are and what your metabolic state is like.

In answer to the original question, for some people, yes.

Yep too true - I am diabetic and use some of the starchy vegetables instead of potatoes/pasta/bread etc so the carbs in carrots - parsnips - squash - sweet potatoes are counted by me and I eat them in moderation, whereas I have no limit of green leafy veggies.
    So like everything else the answers is it depends !
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't trust orange food

You're right

861afdf1c0-492x600.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes they are horrible for you....thats why i avoid carrots daily they are nasty little buggers....for good carbs i stick to angel food cake better taste and better carb not to mention more protein to

I know, right? And who needs Vitamin A anyway? :laugh:
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Carrots get a bad rep because they have a high glycemic index rating (especially when cooked) but this is counterbalanced by the fact that they have a low glycemic load meaning that you have to eat an awful lot of them to make a difference. If you've ever had freshly pressed carrot juice you need about a pound of carrots to get an 8 oz serving of juice which has all of 70 calories and 17 grams of carbs

Here is an interesting article:

http://cleancuisineandmore.com/carrot-nutrition-are-carrots-good-for-you/
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Carrots are bad carbs?

iDontWantToLiveOnThisPlanetAnymoreLandscape.png