suggestions for girls trip needed

Options
cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
Hey all. I have a milestone birthday coming up next year (why yes, I will be 21 thank you!). My college roommates and I had a great plan to go to the Grand Canyon, stay at El Tovar for a couple of days and while we were there hike to the bottom of the canyon, spend the night at Phantom Ranch (the only place besides campgrounds to stay at the bottom of the canyon) and hike back out the next day. We had a year to train for it, very excited. Until I went to book it and by the time I could get a live body Phantom Ranch was booked solid for the entire month!

So, now we're all very deflated and stumped about what to do. We all really liked the idea of a "quest" sort of thing (no Lord of the Rings jokes please) but don't know what that would be. So I'm looking for some suggestions.

Here are some things that are out for us

1. hike Half Dome or Angels Landing (height issues-me!!)

2. white water rafting (one gal has a weird fear about it)

3. skiing (knees don't do that so well)

4. marathon/iron man/triathlons (see knees above and not all of us are into the whole health and fitness thing though they were willing to train for the hike).

I'd love to hear some great ideas of either active trips you took or trips your friends have taken.

We live all over the country so we are open to most every place in the continental U.S. I don't want to say money is no object but it is a pretty darn big birthday!

My MFP peeps heard all the angst while I was trying to book Phantom Ranch so now I turn to you all!

Thanks!

Replies

• tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I still think that it sucks that your plans fell through!! But I have a few ideas for you. The basis of all of them is the concept!! You guys were ready and willing to go for a hike...so I recommend that you stick with that!! There are thousands of awesome places to hike in the US...all you have to do it find one, and then look for hotels close by!!

A few of my favorite places: Bryce Canyon, UT, Mt Zion, UT, Mt. Charleston, NV, Red Rock Canyon, NV, and Garden of the Gods, CO.

if all else fails...you could come to Vegas, and do spa after spa, fine dining, shows, thrill rides, AND hiking if you feel like it!!

Good Luck girl!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Thanks T. Part of the attraction is doing stuff we haven't done before and I've been to Bryce, Zion and Garden of the Gods (loved them all!) Not been to the other places in Nevada though so I'll check those out. Believe me, Vegas was mentioned before the "quest" element came into the picture!
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? You have 50 - 51 weeks a year to do extreme fitness. My vote is a cruise, a trip to Washington DC., the Carribean, or Europe (ever played St. Andrews?). And I agree with Tara -- you can't go wrong in Vegas!

Wherever you are, I know you will have a blast!!
    Dee
  • tjradd73
    Options
    Thanks T. Part of the attraction is doing stuff we haven't done before and I've been to Bryce, Zion and Garden of the Gods (loved them all!) Not been to the other places in Nevada though so I'll check those out. Believe me, Vegas was mentioned before the "quest" element came into the picture!

LOL....such a small world when you think about it!! I def know Vegas...so Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead, Lake Las Vegas, would be my top picks for here!!

Also a nice beach trip would be relaxing...one of my fave ladi back towns in Cali is Solana Beach/Del Mar...quaint, quiet, and a hidden treasure IMO :)

you'll have to let me know what you decide...I am excited for you!
  • suzy50minus
    suzy50minus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Still do the Grand Canyon...but you can stay in Sedona (which is not far away) and GORGEOUS!! So much to do there too...Pink Jeep tours is my Favorite!! Have fun!!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I loved hiking in Acadia National Park in Maine. We stayed in Bar Harbor but there are other quaint villages on Mount Desert Island to choose from. Drank lots of local blueberry beer and had a blast. Bicycling is available on the old coach trails as well. The scenery is epic and not to be missed.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    I second the Sedona idea!! tons of gril stuff and adventure stuff to do!!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a section of the Appalachian Trail.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Have a big sleepover with "Extreme Pillow-fighting!"

?
  • tjradd73
    Options
    Have a big sleepover with "Extreme Pillow-fighting!"

?

LOL...sounds like a typical male fantasy!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I loved hiking in Acadia National Park in Maine. We stayed in Bar Harbor but there are other quaint villages on Mount Desert Island to choose from. Drank lots of local blueberry beer and had a blast. Bicycling is available on the old coach trails as well. The scenery is epic and not to be missed.

I agree with this suggestion! Love Acadia! I've spent most summers there since I was a kid.
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    These are great guys, keep 'em coming!!
  • heatherterp
    Options
    find a place you can do a ropes course!!! It could be a great time! Or the less healthy option, wine tour. Maybe you all are not 21. I tried putting in a wink, wink, but the faces did not post ) ;)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a section of the Appalachian Trail.

this is awesome. Lots of cabins nearby
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Wine tasting in Napa, followed by a night on the town in SF

If you want something smaller, you can do wine tasting in Santa Cruz. They have vineyards from Soquel(SO-kel) to Bonnie Doon and many of them have lovely views of the ocean. It's a much cooler town (temp wise) in the 60s/70s. and just south of SF
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The longest waterfall to be found between the Rockies and the Appalachians is at Hemmed-In Hollow in Arkansas, but you have to 1) go in the spring, as it dries up later in the year, and 2) hike in to see it. The Buffalo River, which meanders through Arkansas, provides plenty of challenging trails without extreme heights. Try Hot Springs or Eureka Springs for accomodations.
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lake Tahoe/Reno, Nevada are great. The middle of Sierra Nevada Mountains, absolutely beautiful.
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Loving these ideas! I'm forwarding on to the gals when I get them. I have to laugh at how many of these involve wine!