Planet Fitness

Options
13»

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    PF Black Card member right here - and freakin' LOVE IT there!!!!!!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of Planet Fitness and I like it. It's only $10/month and very close to my house, which were the main points for me. I've never heard the "lunk alarm" used at my location. Not a lot in the way of weights but it will be awhile before I outgrow what is there.

Free pizza and bagels and dishes of tiny tootsie rolls don't bother me at all. I just don't eat it. Problem solved.

A few years ago I was a member of Gold's and they had a shake bar and I didn't bother with those either. Gold's was nice, a lot bigger of course, and they offered aerobics and pilates classes if that's your thing (it wasn't my thing, so not a huge selling point). It was also a lot more expensive. One thing I didn't like was the hovering personal trainers at Gold's, who reminded me a little of used car salesmen, when I really wanted to be left alone. If I need help, I'll ask. I'm sure every location is different though - I don't live in that town now so if and when I want to upgrade from PF, I would consider checking out Gold's again.
  • EmpressHollie
    EmpressHollie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    PF Black Card member right here - and freakin' LOVE IT there!!!!!!

^^^^me too!
  • cramernh
    Options
    The "Lunk Alarm" at PF is enough to scare me away and I'm not even a meathead. Just strikes me weird that in a "no judgment zone," they discourage heavy weight lifting or working hard enough to grunt or sweat a little extra. Not really a place I'd want to go if I wanted to push myself, KWIM?

A friend of mine was a member at PF and you get to take a guest every time you go for free, I guess, so I went with her a handful of times. When I went there I saw candy dishes sitting out, and they do things like Bagel Mondays (like give out free bagels) and do pizza parties weekly - which I also found weird. Like oh, congrats on those 300 calories you just burned on the elliptical! HAVE A GREASY PIECE OF PIZZA!! Wtf?

no... lets clarify it truthfully...

They have the mini tootsie rolls - but no one makes you take them
    First Monday of the month, they serve free pizza to their members - but no one makes you take them
    The following Tuesday next week, in the morning, they serve free bagels and coffee - but no one makes you take them.

You could easily have one slice of pizza (cheese w/ or w/o vegetables) and its perfectly healthy.
    You could help yourself to half of the bagel, grab the lower fat cream cheese and a fresh cup of hot coffee and its still not bad for you....

For me, I have too many allergies and sensitivities and therefore I dont have any of those items, except for the coffee. They are nice enough to let me fill my 22oz travel mug where I medically cant digest those foods... and they do the same for others as well.

PF's philosphy is set for the first time gym-user who doesnt want to be surrounded by big, burly members - the variety that you would definitely see at a Golds Gym or in other gyms where they do have the heavy/power weight related equipment available.

They do offer free personal training services - and every time I meet with the trainer at my gym, no one else bothers to come in - so I end up having an almost 90 minute meeting one-on-one and get the customization I need for my workouts. She even tailors the workout according to the restrictions imposed by my Sports MD and Podiatrist.

The best part is that my health insurance recognizes PF. After submitting proof of attendance, my monthly membership fee is reimbursed. My only out of pocket expense is the yearly membership renewal fee.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    PF- thats bang for your buck. mine is HUGE, brand new, and open 24hrs. i like the set up of their circuit equipment. i never have to wait for a machine- cardio or otherwise.

Golds- i miss the cardio cinema and group classes. if there was one in my area i would rejoin Golds.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My only complaint about the one my wife and I belong to is the free weight section is always real busy. I am a newbie lifter still and currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 so if the power rack is tied up and it usually is I am waiting around a lot. That being said for $10 bucks a month it works for us so far.
  • rllewell
    Options
    You could easily have one slice of pizza (cheese w/ or w/o vegetables) and its perfectly healthy.

Yes, one slice of pizza is good practice of portion control when counting calories but don't EVER sell pizza as "perfectly healthy". There is very little nutritional value in pizza and thousands of better alternatives.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    my hubby & I joined the new PF that opened up nearby our house about a month ago. We got the black membership b/c w/ 3 young boys, we could not go in together to workout. I have never been to a gym before, so I am still really intimidated by all of the equipment. I have only used the treadmill so far. I wish that they had classes. I really need someone to tell me what to do and get a great workout. This is why I have not been in a few weeks and have been doing dvd's at home. I know that they are times to meet w/ a trainer, but can't make it to any of the times given. Still can't beat $20/ mnth membership, though. We looked at several others before PF and the monthly memberships in other places were off the charts.
    *lunk alarm-at our PF has only gone off if someone really threw down the weights. It happened when we toured. The guy literally threw the weights on the floor.*
    *tootsie rolls-per one of the reps, are placed there in case someone needed a sugar boost ie low blood sugar level after working out. You don't have to eat any, nor the pizza or bagels.*
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    it might be cheaper to join planet fitness than to actually buy pizza every month.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've skipped exercising 3 days since January 10th. I've gotten outside exercise maybe a grand total of 20 days. All the rest of the days I've gone to PF. I've had maybe 5 tootsie rolls ever. Each time just the one.

24 calories.

I've never had a bagel but I've grabbed a slice on my way out the door most months on pizza day. I make a point to do more time burning calories if I'm going to have a slice.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I really need someone to tell me what to do and get a great workout. This is why I have not been in a few weeks and have been doing dvd's at home. I know that they are times to meet w/ a trainer, but can't make it to any of the times given.

Actually if you give them a chance, they will make accomodations. The managers or the personal trainer.... Just explain to them, and they will gladly help you.