Eating Clean Rookie

Options
2»

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This family is pretty hard-core but it explains things well and all the recipes I've tried are very good!

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • fit1976
    fit1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    check out the book "Eating for Life" by Bill Phillips. It will cost about $10 off of Ebay or $35 in B&N if you want it sooner. It has a lot of great, easy recipes. It works hand in hand with the "Body for Life" book of his if you are exercising also. The 1st 70 pages explain a lot about the importance of when to eat during the day and what combinations of food to eat and why. The rest of the book is recipes and includes a shopping list to take with you to the grocery store. This book follows the "Body for Life Challenge" on EAS.com and that site has a lot of the information and recipes from the book. Good luck with it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I used to eat ALL ORGANIC. I was squarely in the Orthorexia category as most who eat 100% a certain way are.

I was at my heaviest weight ever when I was all organic, zero processed food, even though I ran and lifted weights and worked out like a mad woman. --> http://www.venusindex.com/ten-thousand-ways-that-wont-work/

I have a renewed sense of freedom letting it go. I still eat mostly "clean" whatever that means. Is it the same as "all organic"?

The bottom line is that losing fat is all about calories, even if some calories are "unclean"

Building muscle is all about exercise.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the store. Produce, meats, dairy, grains. Stay away from packaged junk. I make iced coffee with almond milk or skim milk and stevia. I don't see anything wrong with that. :)
    Almond milk and stevia are both heavily processed. I'd qualify those as "packaged junk."

You can actually buy pure stevia which is just the same as ground herbs and is not "heavily processed"!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Some of the basics are sticking with the outside aisles in the grocery store,

and in general, items with one ingredient (milk, eggs, chicken, carrots etc) are the healthiest.

Pre-made anything is usually crummy for you.

The nicer a package/item looks usually the worse it is for you (higher calories)

Those are just easiest to remember.

They usually work.

^^^ pretty much. Try to buy food in its most natural state possible. "REAL" food I call it lol
  • zarfot
    Options
    These are great tips I really need to eat more healthy as well.

I eat out entirely too much; even though I work out enough calories to cover the fast food or whatever bad food, I guess it's still a bad idea in the long run to eat so much bad stuff... or does the "doesn't matter as long as calories burned is more than calories consumed" statement hold true?
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    :flowerforyou: