Be Serious Please!

Options

Replies

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    L O G I N your calories!!! That has been huge for me to understand my weight gain/loss!
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    For those creeping cravings that attack you every now and then or sometimes more often than not -
    suck your stomach in so hard it hurts for 30-60 seconds- hold your breath for a little bit then a take a BIG BREATH and feel the calm :)
  • catkid
    Options
    My weight fluctuated but in the past but when I was at my lowest I read the labels and calculated the calories constantly and even was a bit OCD about it.

But it worked so my advice would be to read the labels and know exactly what you are eating. read!
  • chanson104
    Options
    To not expect an achievement to improve my self esteem. A love for self and knowing that I am worth it will make achievements (improved health) more easily obtainable.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Find a way of eating and exercising that works for you.
    Then do that for the rest of your life.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you bite it...write it :bigsmile:
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    To calculate my lean body mass and to eat that many grams of protein every day. Very helpful.

Totally unrelated to weight loss, but also very helpful in life: Every family has at least one crazy person. If you think your family doesn't...........it's you.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    The absolute BEST advice anyone ever gave me...

"STOP LISTENING TO THE ADVICE ON THE FORUMS & DO WHATS BEST FOR YOU!!"

:bigsmile:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    AND.....its NOT a diet...its a way of life :bigsmile:
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    that its possible.
  • katiejarr
    Options

^
    And this!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Use multiple ways of tracking your progress. Don't rely on the scale to tell you what you want to hear, because she's a deceitful b-word who will rip out your heart and stomp on it if you depend on her.

Set fitness goals, whether it's "I will exercise 5 days a week," or something more specific like finishing a program or training for a 5k. When the scale's not budging, you can at least say, "I know I'm doing good things for my body, and no matter what, I'm in better health than I was a month ago."

Track your body's progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and photos. Take photos now, in as little as you're comfortable wearing, from front, back and side. Don't delete them no matter how much you hate them. You don't need to show them to anyone else ever. Take more photos in the same clothes or amount of clothes in about a month or so. Compare.

You won't see changes in the mirror. It happens too slowly. It's like watching grass grow. But seeing your waist get trimmer, or lumpy bits becoming less bumpy, over a few weeks time... that will keep you motivated. No matter what that scale says.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you think you can, you CAN!

Make a small change and add another small change... they all add up and are easier to stick with'
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can think of several!

Measure yourself weekly. If you don't see the scale move and you're working out, eating right, etc., you are still making progress! More than likely, you will measure smaller somewhere. It keeps me motivated.

Obstacles can be overcome. DO NOT give up! For example, when I first started I weighed 179 lbs, I got on the treadmill and had some problems. First of all I started having horrible cramps in my calves towards the end of my walk and afterwards. They were really bad. I learned that I could rub them out with lotion. Eventually I stopped having the cramps all together. Then I kept getting athletes foot and blisters, callouses. The athletes foot was cured with meds and by blow drying between my toes after each shower. The blisters and callouses were from wearing the wrong shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted. It's worth the extra money. I also had chafing on my thighs in the beginning. I used Glide and that cured that problem!

I started C25K, was almost done and then I tripped over my dog while jogging and broke my toe and foot. I was devasted but started biking instead. Now I burn more biking than I ever did jogging or walking.

Buy a HRM! It not only tells you what YOU personally burn, it helps motivate you when you see those big burn numbers!

Basically just don't give up, find something that helps/cures any problem and be flexible with your exercise plans.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

On the other hand, the best thing I did was keep an open mind and realize that everything I THOUGHT I knew about weight loss was wrong. :laugh:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Don't "diet"...change the way you eat.
    If a nutrition plan feel like a punishment, you'll never stick to it.
    Read, learn, and educate yourself on nutrition.
    Let your eating habits evolve into a healthier way of living.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Ignore exercise calories because they are over estimated. Most people underestimate calories so give it 10% less in the total. Also packaging will underestimate because legally they can put more not less so they will error on the more side. I learned this all from a book I describe below, written by someone with multiple PHD's and he knows his stuff and I've had a chance to talk with the author.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong. And I learned it all from a coach with multiple PHD’s.

My story here- - -> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

The diets I have tried -- > http://www.venusindex.com/ten-thousand-ways-that-wont-work/

ALL SUCCESSFUL ladies ---> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/

ALL SUCCESSFUL Men here ---> http://www.adonisindex.com/

It costs nothing to read and listen to their interviews and its fun because they are real like you and I.

If you want to learn the real truth about MINDLESS EATING, DIETS, CALORIES, CALORIE PORTIONS and CALORIES BURNED invest in this. I GAIN NOTHING BY IT, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over.

--- > http://products.venusindex.com/product-catalog/books/anything-goes-diet/

(This is NOT about eating junk food! It's about learning to eat for you own lifestyle, vegan, organic, whatever)
    Oh yeah and you can do this WITHOUT a personal trainer or coaching. Read the book, it explains the answers, done. Then just do it. Of course the superior designed workout helps as well.

Most of us are on MFP.

I get no financial gain by any of those links. I am simply passionate about getting the word out and helping people find the same success I did. I struggled for years with these same issues as an obese person.
    -Bobbie
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    nothing tastes as good as feeling amazing feels!!
  • kya101
    Options
    Weight loss is 70% what you eat and only 20% working out and 10% attitude :)
  • Happinessgrl
    Happinessgrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It was something that my trainer told me two years ago and I carry it in my heart and my head every single day. "Believing is easy. Believing in yourself takes real courage. Stay Encouraged!!!". Once I started believing in myself and the vision that I had for my life, the determination and knowledge just seemed to follow.