Upping Calorie Intake?

Options
I'm thinking of upping my calorie intake for a couple of weeks and seeing what difference that has. I'm not really losing right now and I'm wondering if it might be that I'm eating too few calories. Maybe. I have no idea.

I'm currently eating 1200 + Most/All of my exercise calories.

Any advice?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How long have you been continuously eating at a deficit? And how long specifically at 1200 + exercise calories?
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat/logging-free weekend while I was camping in Mid-August but I have generally kept the same settings since I started so about two months.
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to 1600 and don't eat my exercise calories back. With this i have seen pretty good results already. Think it would help you if you upped your calorie intake too.
  • chantya
    chantya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think I need to up my intake as well i have hit a plateau if anyone can help me please message me!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I totally changed the calorie intake, I used a method from one of the trainers at my gym. Anyway, I am eating 1600-1800 cals a day, NOT eating exercise calories back :noway: and I am losing again after a very long plateau.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That is what helped me over a 4 month plateau...
  • Takarameri
    Options
    For those of you eating 1600-1800 without eating back, how many calories do you generally net per day? Do you eat some of the calories back for large workout days? I have days where I burn upwards of 1000 calories swing dancing.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm rather new here and therefore I'm not sure of the protocol regarding reading someone's diary and commenting on it. If I cross a line, I apologize. Here goes...

You need to change your "Diet". I took a look at what you've been eating for the past few weeks and you'll NEVER get healthy eating what you've been eating. I didn't see a single day's food diary that I would consider healthy. Did you really eat cookies for breakfast on the 21st? Eating pizza, cupcakes, ice cream, candy, doughnuts, etc. on a daily basis will not put you on the path to health.

I recommend discontinuing your sugar habit (ice cream, cupcakes, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, etc) and replace that junk with healthy alternatives.

So to answer your question, you do not need to up your caloric intake in order to lose weight.
  • sherwinnelson
    sherwinnelson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Increasing my calories helped me break through a plateau. I still need to update my weight loss, but the change lead to an additional 4 pounds in a short period (about 8 days). Good luck.
  • Takarameri
    Options
    I'm rather new here and therefore I'm not sure of the protocol regarding reading someone's diary and commenting on it. If I cross a line, I apologize. Here goes...

You need to change your "Diet". I took a look at what you've been eating for the past few weeks and you'll NEVER get healthy eating what you've been eating. I didn't see a single day's food diary that I would consider healthy. Did you really eat cookies for breakfast on the 21st? Eating pizza, cupcakes, ice cream, candy, doughnuts, etc. on a daily basis will not put you on the path to health.

I recommend discontinuing your sugar habit (ice cream, cupcakes, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, etc) and replace that junk with healthy alternatives.

So to answer your question, you do not need to up your caloric intake in order to lose weight.

You could be nicer about it but it is a fair criticism and something that I am working on. I fully admit to being a sugar addict.

My biggest concern is that the net calorie goal is set well below my BMR as calculated by just about every calculator.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As i stated before, I wanted to be as delicate but to the point regarding your diet. If I upset you, I apologize. It certainly was not my intent to cross any lines. It takes a lot of courage to allow others to view your diet and exercise diaries and ask for comments.

Once you replace the unhealthy foods with healthy ones, you will see the weight come off. Also, after doing so, your sugar cravings will be less frequent.

As for sugar cravings, I still have them. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I know I'll have to replace my cereal with one with less sugar, probably have to drink milk (yuck) instead of soy milk and cut out the weekend's treat of orange juice.

My tip for satisfying your sugar cravings, after dinner, or later in the evening when the cravings hit, pop in a few tic tacs. They are low in calories and will satisfy the sugar craving.
  • jablumer
    Options
    I was also a HUGE sugar lover. The first week without was tough, but when I plugged those foods in and saw how many calories and fat they contained and how hard I would have to work to burn them off, it was enough to keep me on track. Believe me, once you've made it through a few weeks without a lot of sugar in your diet, you won't crave it anymore. Good luck!
  • Takarameri
    Options
    That means that I need to stop procrastinating and get back to detailed meal planning ahead of time. It means that family members that like to eat unhealthily won't have as much influence on Lunches and Dinners since I do much of the cooking. As for the snacking, that'll require some good old fashioned self-control. I may still raise my calorie goal a little so that the net calories are higher than my BMR (using the Katch-McArdle Formula) but it won't be as drastic a change.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. I would try mixing up what you are eating. I would suggest not eating the candies and sugar if you want to lose weight. Try replacing the carbs with more fat and protein. Good luck on your journey.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Maybe gradually switch out the simple sugars with healthy alternatives? For example a peach with a small dollop (like a tablespoon) of whipped cream for dessert instead of a cookie, lightly sweetened iced tea instead of a soda, etc. Still sweet but not near as calorie heavy. OR cut out the sugars cold turkey then give yourself one treat if you can make it until (day of the week) without eating treats? You can do this, I believe the trick is not depriving yourself but finding healthy ways to enjoy your diet so you can keep it up long term. I applaud you for opening your diary and yourself to input! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would look to add sodium to your diary. Look to get more veggies, fruits (if you want something sweet). Also, look to get lean meats so you get enough protein. Upping calories will work if you are eating lean whole foods.