Be Serious Please!

Options

Replies

• myoldself2011
    Options
    A lot of great stuff has been said already, but I would like to add something that I haven't seen being mentioned. Be honest with yourself and why you are on this journey.

For instance, I knew I was obese, have obese parents (mother had gastric bypass and father pre-diabetic), I knew that I want to have a healthy pregnancy when we decide to try and I couldn't do it at the weight I was, etc etc. However, for me all of these things weren't enough. I realized that I didn't feel sexy, that I was starting to become the women they people would say "but she has such a pretty face." No I don't think I'm the prettiest person on the planet and my husband didn't change in how he loved me or showed affection to me. But I lost my swagger, I lost my groove. I'm still not at my goal weight, another 30 lbs to go, but I feel almost like my old self.

This isn't to say that health reasons, whether yours or someone you love, or the other typical reasons aren't good enough reasons. But don't be ashamed of being honest as the TRUE reason for the journey. Remember it's YOUR body and it's YOUR temple so it has to be YOUR true motivation to make a lifestyle change.
  • myoldself2011
    Options
    For those creeping cravings that attack you every now and then or sometimes more often than not -
    suck your stomach in so hard it hurts for 30-60 seconds- hold your breath for a little bit then a take a BIG BREATH and feel the calm :)

Haven't heard of this, I'll try it as I have a DAILY chocolate craving.
    I just eat some chocolate. Hot chocolate at this very moment, as a matter of fact.

Once I'm home, I'm fine. It's work that I have the problem. It's sad. I owe some many people bags of Reese's and Kit Kats.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My serious bit of advice. It's not that serious. Eat right, but still treat yourself to the things you like so you don't go crazy, exercise, rinse and repeat for a year or two, then see where you're at.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat too.fast so I started using a seafood fork to eat with. Slows you down and you enjoy your food more.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    For those creeping cravings that attack you every now and then or sometimes more often than not -
    suck your stomach in so hard it hurts for 30-60 seconds- hold your breath for a little bit then a take a BIG BREATH and feel the calm :)

Haven't heard of this, I'll try it as I have a DAILY chocolate craving.
    I just eat some chocolate. Hot chocolate at this very moment, as a matter of fact.

Once I'm home, I'm fine. It's work that I have the problem. It's sad. I owe some many people bags of Reese's and Kit Kats.
    Make sure you work it into your calories so you're not sneaking off to a closet to eat a piece of chocolate. Eventually it will turn into a habit.
  • kristenjohnson1107
    Options
    Being consistent
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Log everything! I actually just made my diary private because I started not entering stuff that was "bad." Now it's private, and if I drink 1000 calories of alcohol one night I log it and try not to do it very often. But I gotta log it to see how I am doing. It's too easy to try to say it doesn't count if I didn't log it. Every bite of food, or drink, adds up.
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    it takes times..log everything you eat good and bad and believe that you can do this,and don't get mad if no one supports you..be your own support team then they will come
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Take it seriously, but not so much that you quit having fun, but enough that you never lose sight of the rainbow. I have to remember that cheating leads to a gain and then I have to lose that lb over again and that for me is unacceptable. If I want something I make it fit into my calorie goals. I want this so bad that failure is not an option. You have to want it enough to keep going even when the scale says you've gained and you don't know why. You've got to want it bad enough to keep going when your friends want McDonalds and you know that that is a bad choice for you but you find something to eat there and make it fit in your calorie count. You've got to want it bad enough to know when to say NO to cravings and find an alternate. YOU'VE GOT TO WANT IT BAD ENOUGH TO DO IT FOR YOU!!
  • Bobbie47952
    Options
    There will be good days and bad but it will be worth it in the end!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Take it seriously, but not so much that you quit having fun, but enough that you never lose sight of the rainbow. I have to remember that cheating leads to a gain and then I have to lose that lb over again and that for me is unacceptable. If I want something I make it fit into my calorie goals. I want this so bad that failure is not an option. You have to want it enough to keep going even when the scale says you've gained and you don't know why. You've got to want it bad enough to keep going when your friends want McDonalds and you know that that is a bad choice for you but you find something to eat there and make it fit in your calorie count. You've got to want it bad enough to know when to say NO to cravings and find an alternate. YOU'VE GOT TO WANT IT BAD ENOUGH TO DO IT FOR YOU!!

AWESOME!
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For me I will not make goals, but rather by drinking my water, making good food choices, and exercising, works better for me.
    I use a jar of dominoes and place 1 for each lb I lose.

Each day is a new day with no mistakes
    Eileen
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    A lot of great stuff has been said already, but I would like to add something that I haven't seen being mentioned. Be honest with yourself and why you are on this journey.

For instance, I knew I was obese, have obese parents (mother had gastric bypass and father pre-diabetic), I knew that I want to have a healthy pregnancy when we decide to try and I couldn't do it at the weight I was, etc etc. However, for me all of these things weren't enough. I realized that I didn't feel sexy, that I was starting to become the women they people would say "but she has such a pretty face." No I don't think I'm the prettiest person on the planet and my husband didn't change in how he loved me or showed affection to me. But I lost my swagger, I lost my groove. I'm still not at my goal weight, another 30 lbs to go, but I feel almost like my old self.

This isn't to say that health reasons, whether yours or someone you love, or the other typical reasons aren't good enough reasons. But don't be ashamed of being honest as the TRUE reason for the journey. Remember it's YOUR body and it's YOUR

Lovetemple so it has to be YOUR true motivation to make a lifestyle change.

Love this
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Don't be afraid to fuel your body.
    Patience, patience, patience
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I remind myself that we have a choice in everything we put into our bodies, I ask myself....are you choosing to be fat??? Then eat that cookie. Or you're choosing to be thin??? GREAT! walk away........
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try C25K, I did & it changed my life,
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't matter. It's about how you feel, how your clothes fit, and your muscle tone.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Frankly, it was an OB Gyn who told me that no matter what I did, I would always be fat. To prove him wrong, I did what I had to do. It took a few starts and stops, but I finally figured out what works. :)

My OB/GYN told me "Good luck losing weight," then proceeded to tell me that it would be the hardest thing I would ever have to do and that it would be so much easier if I was dropped on a deserted island or put in a concentration camp. I had already lost ten pounds at that point though, so now I'm just determined that I'll lose the weight I want to prove his ignorance and my will power.

So the best advice I've gotten (or realized, really) is that people who should know what they are talking about, people you trust, don't always know what they are talking about.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My own advice to myself when I began trying to lose weight: It took you 30 years to get here so even if it takes 3 years to get where you WANT to be then you're a success!